Engine oil 5W40

monkeybrain1234

Hi All

4 months in and 5,000 miles (including Wales) engine needs an oil top up, about 1/3 litre, service record shows oil change in Feb, where Pro S400 5W40 oil was used.

Seen on here most say to use 5W30,

So my question is what oil should I top up with? 5W40 or 5W30? or something else?

I have no idea about oils, all I know is I love Driving the Z ;)

Edited by monkeybrain1234

I would top up with the same oil used for the last service.

For future services use a quality 5w30 oil such as Castrol Edge. Quality oil does not come cheap. You get what you pay for.

I would top up with the same oil used for the last service.

For future services use a quality 5w30 oil such as Castrol Edge. Quality oil does not come cheap. You get what you pay for.

Could not agree more. Do people think I am better off just changing the oil and filter for better quality oil and 5W30?

I am surprised you can work out how much its used....

You sir are a genius ;)

:teeth: I am making the assumption that H------L on the dipstick is a 1 litre difference?! Am I wrong? :wacko:

You are correct but doesn't the reading change/smear every time you check?

I am assuming you have the DE engine here.

• 3 weeks later...

Am looking for oil, was going with Mobil 1 5W30 but seems to be mixed reviews about it.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/76224-anyone-here-used-mobil-1-esp-5w-30-fully-synthetic/page__hl__mobil__st__20

I know its a mine field with things like oil. No issue with spending money for good stuff (i thought mobile 1 Would be good)

Fuchs seems to be recommended!! I am rather confused. What should I get!!!!!?????

Fuchs titan race 5w30

Thanks for reply, so is the Mobil 1 not recommend by you guys?

Looks like Fuchs titan race 5w30 it is then.

Topics like this just run and run, but it's all good as it's what forums are for :) Below is a cut 'n paste from another forum... And yes, Mobil 1 is currently 20% off at Halfords but still works out cheaper if you use their trade card instead.

Hi Ian

To be honest, while it's under warranty, there isn't really anything better than the Mobil 1 0w-40.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-913-porsche-porsche-a4...

When it's out of warranty, one of the ester based 5w-40 synthetics will be a better option, but for now the Mobil is as good as anything (although the Fuchs GT1 is just as good an oil and cheaper at the moment).

Regards

Tim

OPIE OILS

From all the evidence on here and elsewhere, Opie are a real authority on oils. If they recommend Mobil 1, then I think it's fair to say there's nothing much wrong with it. I'd also assume Porsche know enough about their own cars not to recommend an oil that will damage the engines. They'd have to be really dumber than dumb to do that.

Fuchs titan race 5w30

Thanks for reply, so is the Mobil 1 not recommend by you guys?

Looks like Fuchs titan race 5w30 it is then.

Topics like this just run and run, but it's all good as it's what forums are for :) Below is a cut 'n paste from another forum... And yes, Mobil 1 is currently 20% off at Halfords but still works out cheaper if you use their trade card instead.

Hi Ian

To be honest, while it's under warranty, there isn't really anything better than the Mobil 1 0w-40.

http://www.opieoils....e-porsche-a4...

When it's out of warranty, one of the ester based 5w-40 synthetics will be a better option, but for now the Mobil is as good as anything (although the Fuchs GT1 is just as good an oil and cheaper at the moment).

Regards

Tim

OPIE OILS

From all the evidence on here and elsewhere, Opie are a real authority on oils. If they recommend Mobil 1, then I think it's fair to say there's nothing much wrong with it. I'd also assume Porsche know enough about their own cars not to recommend an oil that will damage the engines. They'd have to be really dumber than dumb to do that.

Had a feeling this would be one of those subjects like "Which Tyres to buy?" :p

Probably go with the Fuchs, for probably nothing more than psychological sanity as no one seems to have anything bad to say on it! :scare::wacko:

So far anyway! :stir:

• Like 1

Motul 8100 is used by most on here, very good oil and well priced too, I've got no reason to use anything else. :)

For the sake of a few extra quid stick a magnetic sump plug in there too :)

Edited by Jp606

i actually run shell helix ultra 5w40(get it free) i'd like to see a dyno run with differant oils can't believe it makes that much differance to power and i change the oil and filter twice a year which is really anal as i only do 1000 miles a year

i actually run shell helix ultra 5w40(get it free) i'd like to see a dyno run with differant oils can't believe it makes that much differance to power and i change the oil and filter twice a year which is really anal as i only do 1000 miles a year

You change your oil every 500 miles! :lol: Fairplay that is OCD at its best. :teeth: Just joking.

• Like 2