350z affected by weight?

whiltongee

Get that boot weight out. Helps with boot pop and gives your boot struts a hand. Whilst you're there, the rear wiper doesn't do much except add weight and spoil her beautiful lines :)

It's so easy even I could do it!

http://www.350z-uk.c...removal-delete/

http://www.350z-uk.c...r-delete-guide/

Buy the grommets first if you don't like it wet.

I have been thinking about taking the rear wiper off! Not to save weight but I think it looks funny with a wiper at the rear :p

Do it for the aero gains! Must be worth 5mpg too ;)

Surely doing things like re-arranging battery etc, you're never going to notice it on a stock Zed? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to change the suspension, ARBs, Brakes?

Zed went on track at the weekend, handled like a dream! Stock suspension, no weight reduction.

• Like 1

Well yes, there are far more obvious improvements to be made, but they're much more expensive (albeit more obvious in the end result). We're talking specifically about weight here though.

Best improvement would be driver training, followed by tyres, brakes, suspension, then finally power in that order.

• Like 1

The Zed is a fundamentally heavy car - steel chassis, steel panels (bar the bonnet) and all the lardy trimmings that come with a well-specced GT. I'm not saying weight reduction would be a waste of time, but 100kg here or there isn't going to turn it into a caterham.

Having said that I do think the zed is fairly well suited (ish) to the ring - plenty of long straights to access its party trick (torque) and it doesn't seem to put too much stress on the brakes. As others have said, be extremely careful out there. It's a very intimidating place and certainly not recommended to track newbies - the automotive equivalent of the grandmaster's dojo so be prepared for a financial battering if you mess things up. Absolutely nothing wrong with just taking it easy and enjoying the atmosphere of being in a very special place.

^ Ekona's advice is sound, but I'd put more driver training, and much more driver training before tyres. Oh and remember that regardless of what tyres you have, they don't work on grass. The nanosecond you come off the tarmac, you're going to hit something. remember that.

The Zed is a fundamentally heavy car - steel chassis, steel panels (bar the bonnet) and all the lardy trimmings that come with a well-specced GT. I'm not saying weight reduction would be a waste of time, but 100kg here or there isn't going to turn it into a caterham.

Having said that I do think the zed is fairly well suited (ish) to the ring - plenty of long straights to access its party trick (torque) and it doesn't seem to put too much stress on the brakes. As others have said, be extremely careful out there. It's a very intimidating place and certainly not recommended to track newbies - the automotive equivalent of the grandmaster's dojo so be prepared for a financial battering if you mess things up. Absolutely nothing wrong with just taking it easy and enjoying the atmosphere of being in a very special place.

^ Ekona's advice is sound, but I'd put more driver training, and much more driver training before tyres. Oh and remember that regardless of what tyres you have, they don't work on grass. The nanosecond you come off the tarmac, you're going to hit something. remember that.

Ah that's good to know its suited! Yeah I will be taking it easy especially on the first few laps :) Haha I will try and resist the temptation of driving on the grass :p

The z was deigned with 53/47 weight distribution for a reason, look up 350z shock video and all is explained, even the level of the eye view when stock is taken from the skyline gtr lmgt race car so eyes are drawn to where they need to be on the road. All clever stuff

• Like 1

The z was deigned with 53/47 weight distribution for a reason, look up 350z shock video and all is explained, even the level of the eye view when stock is taken from the skyline gtr lmgt race car so eyes are drawn to where they need to be on the road. All clever stuff

Ah that's cool! I will be having a look at that in the morning, thanks :)

I stripped the back of mine out this week as well as having four wheel alignment done and by having this done it's made a huge difference to the car, is is alot more responcive and the handlings is so much better she is also alot more sure of herself round corners which now fills my with confidence. Plus I changed the steering wheel so all in I recon I've lost about 35kg going to get rid of the seats soon which will save me another huge amount.

cars) can affect your 1/4 mile time by a second.

2. I have a trip to the Nurburgring coming up, and I was just curious what you guys think about temporary, CHEAP weight saving. For example little things such as removing the spare wheel. I have seen some people say its a bad thing, as it will effect the handling as its removing weight from the rear etc, but will this be countered by the time you save on acceleration.

3. If weight saving is recommended can anyone recommend any cheap ideas to saving weight?

4. Since I have created this forum I may as well see what you guys (from experience) think about uprev remaps? Obviously i would need to do some mods first. Relating to this anyone have any opinions on this: http://www.ebay.co.u...tem51a6aaa70c��

Will it actually do anything or is it just an eBay dealer trying to sell a pointless item?

Sorry for the 'noob' questions!

Thank you for any input!!

You won't have any problems removing the spare wheel, it's one of the first things I did, rubbish about it affecting handling because it is from the rear. It will also give you more boot space. I think people mean it is more beneficial to remove weight near the front/nose of the car if possible, but any weight if can be shed is good. Ditching the spare wheel will save you about 10.5 Kg right there with the tools taken out also.

Changing your OEM exhaust which uses mild steel, to a stainless exhaust will save you some kilo. My Milltek saved 5.8 kgs but even more significant is when you couple that with adding HFCs instead of a stock CAT, then the saving is about 20 kgs:

Stock Cats are 46 lbs (20.8 Kg)..

Berk HFC's are 7lbs (3Kg) a piece.. 14 lbs (6.3 Kg).. So 46 - 14 = 32lbs (14.5 Kg) saving(s)!

As others mentioned look at the heated/electric seats (one reason I never got a GT was the extra weight and the BOSE system is hard to work with aftermarket components) and look at lighter alloys.

Edited by Exotic

You won't have any problems removing the spare wheel, it's one of the first things I did, rubbish about it affecting handling because it is from the rear.

If you'd like to explain how you've managed to get around the laws of physics, that would be great. I'm sure others would find it useful. ;)

If you mean that it's negligible in terms of affecting the handling, well maybe to you: Certainly I can feel it, and again why would want to remove weight from where you're trying to create traction?

You won't have any problems removing the spare wheel, it's one of the first things I did, rubbish about it affecting handling because it is from the rear.

If you'd like to explain how you've managed to get around the laws of physics, that would be great. I'm sure others would find it useful. ;)

If you mean that it's negligible in terms of affecting the handling, well maybe to you: Certainly I can feel it, and again why would want to remove weight from where you're trying to create traction?

Do you really think that there would be a noticable difference in handling/weight distribution, from a spare wheel weighing a mere 10.5 Kgs?

I know there is no deterimental affect to handling for me, but I have put a sub and power amp almost in it's place.

Edited by Exotic

So you removed the weight, then put the weight back in and wondered why you can't feel any difference?! :lol:

Yes, I can feel a 10.5kg loss from over the rear axle, but then I can feel a couple of psi drop in a tyre. The spare wheel weighs 12kg in my MR2, and I can feel a massive difference when that's out.

If Johnny Drive-Softly did it and only ever pootled around, he'd probably not notice. If Larry Track-Day-Hero did it, I'd be amazed if he couldn't.

• Like 1

[name]'Ekona' timestamp='1400510273' post='1284329']

So you removed the weight, then put the weight back in and wondered why you can't feel any difference?! :lol:

Yes, I can feel a 10.5kg loss from over the rear axle, but then I can feel a couple of psi drop in a tyre. The spare wheel weighs 12kg in my MR2, and I can feel a massive difference when that's out.

If Johnny Drive-Softly did it and only ever pootled around, he'd probably not notice. If Larry Track-Day-Hero did it, I'd be amazed if he couldn't.

Yes I did put more weight back on, but I did drive the car without sub or spare wheel for awhile. It made sense to try and minimise weight but still having a proper sound system, which I can't live without without :) Put it this way it's 10-12 kgs in a one and a half tonne car. There's plenty of weight on her arse to put her power down. I would rather shed the weight as I would think that would be more beneficial on track than any handling issues.

Edited by Exotic

There's plenty of weight on her arse to put her power down.

Obviously never driven a Zed in the snow with RE040's :lol:

Not with RE040's - I've heard lots of things about those Bridgestones, and they're all horrible!

• 2 weeks later...

If going over to the Ring, best advice I can give is have a healthy respect for it, go have fun and seriously don't push too hard, as said before me, Xbox (or better still video) gives you an idea of the layout but it takes lots more laps than you can do in a few days to learn the little things (how rutted and bumpy the right hander before he karusell is for one), just enjoy and keep 6 on your mirrors. Your twelve minute or whatever it is first lap will feel like half that... Best burger is to be found at the snelly just at Adenau bridge and for further travels your a stones throw from Spa... Have fun and mind post pix...

Cheers..

• Like 1