New Japspeed Exhaust

gumpy000

Hi Guys and Gals - a bit of advise please?

I have been offered a second hand Japspeed Exhaust for my Z.

Its the one that looks standard. like the one below: see attached

Has anyone used one of these or know of anyone who has?

do you Recommend?

cheers!

post-20216-0-94946500-1399717382_thumb.jpg

you'll find very few people on here will recommend anything japspeed to be honest due to fitment issues, poor customer service and quality, however for what its worth i had a japspeed k1 on my car when i bought it and had no issues with it at all and when i sold it on there were no fitment issues either so they're not all bad,

the exhaust your looking at is a k2 and a few members have them on their cars some have fitment issues some don't, i seem to remember that the tailpipes can sometimes be out of line too once fitted

at the end of the day its a cheap stainless exhaust and in japspeeds case you certainly get what you pay for, it may bolt straight on with no problems at all or it may be a pain in the backside to fit in which case a phone call to the manufacturer will result in you being told that it can't possibly be the exhaust it must be your car

hope this helps :thumbs:

As kbeast says, not many will recommend Jap(Crap)speed stuff as it's generally pretty shite... but they are cheap! As long as you aren't expecting much from it in terms of quality, then no real reason not to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem with the Japspeed stuff, is that it's made in China for a very low price, because of this the quality control isn't great. You may get one which fit's pretty well, you may get one which doesn't. As it's already been on a car, I'd presume that if any adjustments (I had to use a club hammer, a vice and a blow torch to get my K2 to fit!) were required they will have already been made.

After about a year or so I get a rattle in the tail pipes, which was the inner sleeve vibrating, I hit the bottom edge a few times with a hammer and it stopped the rattle as it essentially crimped the sleeve in place :)

• Like 1

Had a full system on my evo and I have to be honest the sound was awesome and it was under 300 quid!! No real major issues with quality but it certainly did not just bolt on, lots of faffing around bending brackets and the down pipe brace literally had to be cut off.. was nowhere near the right spot. Only reason I picked it was because the evo being turbo I was only interested in the 3inch pipe from turbo back, fancy steel was not a concern. Good value for money but would not have one near my zed I went for cobra instead.

If you are on a budget and don't mind a few swear words and head scratching/ time wasting I suppose a japspeed will do but if you DO have the money and you want a straightforward bolt on and no messing then go for a decent brand

Like Will said, I wouldn't pay £170 second hand IMO. They're relisted on eBay at a 0.99p start price everytime one ends. They go for around £160-£200 brand new depending on how lucky you are. Either that or splash out on a cobra system if you have the cash

I got mine for £165 I think and the y-pipe for £80. Fitment was very bad on mine, but sounds awesome. After a second mechanic having a go at getting the exhaust to sit straighter I'm happy with it, but it's still not perfect fit. That's just what you pay for I guess!

Sent from Tapatalk

This is from my other thread of a few years ago

As some of you might know already, I replaced the K1 with a K2.

But sadly, my K2 didn't sit right after fitting it to my Zed.

JSK2001.jpg

JSK2002.jpg

So off I went to my local garage to have it adjusted

Here you see that the flanges between the mid pipe and backbox are out, causing one pipe to poke out further than the other

JSK2004.jpg

JSK2003.jpg

So it was decided to cut a V out near the flange on the backbox

JSK2005.jpg

JSK2006.jpg

Then apply heat and then bend it into position

JSK2007.jpg

JSK2008.jpg

After we were happy that it was straight enough, out comes the MIG welder

JSK2010.jpg

JSK2011.jpg

Not the best of welds, but I was told that the steel wasn't really that thick and that even budget Bosal exhausts have thicker material

JSK2012.jpg

But I'm happy with the finished result, this is the best we could do, and I think it's pretty much spot on now

JSK2009.jpg

JSK2013.jpg

Thanks for looking

• 4 weeks later...

This is from my other thread of a few years ago

Not the best of welds, but I was told that the steel wasn't really that thick and that even budget Bosal exhausts have thicker material

Hope your welding's improved in the meantime....looks like a bird has shat all over it! :lol::surrender:

The company that makes Japspeeds exhausts usually email me once a week, I will be honest I've thought about supplying the parts as the profit margins would be far greater than the other brands I sell, but... After a fair few years of having seen and heard the issues with these products I'm just not sure I could do it

Hats off to Japspeed though, they have marketed an amazing company from supplying cheap Chinese products and people that don't know any better will be drawn in.

^

This, a few months back I had a product that I will not mention any names for legal reasons but I did mention to other traders to make them aware. Some products are being sold as 304 stainless steel, they are not, they are the lesser grade 20_ steel. The difference is not visible to the naked eye or a magnet but I had a metallurgist look at it as you can only tell under a microscopic machine (cell structure) he confirmed my thoughts.

All you need to do is take a look at a Motordyne Ypipe after 12 months fitted and then take a look at a cheap brand and I think you will see that you get what you pay for.