FUN Daily ideas?

StevoD

Civic 2.2 icdti type s ?

Whilst they're quicker than 90% of other diesels in their catagory and price range, i wouldn't touch a 2.2 Honda derv with a barge pole... They have chain driven cams and the whilst that is normally a good thing, these engines like to stretch them and jumping cogs is common which we all know won't do your engine any favours internally!

Also E46 Beemers use the N42 engines which were some of the worst they ever made! Not only because of the dreaded timing chain tensioner failure... Been there, done that, got the £3k rebuild t-shirt!

I've got a mk4 tdi golf with a re-map. bought the re-map for £££ smackers. Was 130 hp is now 170 with a shed load more torque! You can forget putting your foot down in 1st but if you're cruising in 6th it really takes off, no hanging about. I drive it daily and still get an average of 45 MPG gunning it. it's great! But if the MK4 golf seems a bit whippet and flat cap for you, then go for the MK5 like you suggested with a re-map. Just my tupence worth.

Edited by Rock_Steady

• 2 weeks later...

really? whys that

Very poor engine (we've had a couple of Mitsi cars with that lump in at work and it's horrible), cheap and nasty place to be inside, and it's a little bit ugly on the outside.

Put it this way, I'd much rather have £7K worth of Focus than that.

In that case I've no idea what they do to it (maybe mapping, maybe physical mounting?) but it was wheezy and gutless and noisy. To be fair to the car though, the gearchange was pretty good and the seats were comfy if lacking in support.

Guess it depends on the miles you will be doing, but another vote for a VW diesel from me. I had a completely standard mk4 Golf GT TDI and did 180k in it. It was cheap and easy to maintain, performance wise they are as quick as the petrol GTI version and I used to get 60mph on my 90 mile daily commute. Best mpg I ever saw was 74mpg on a 30mile drive from my house a a mates, that incl starting engine from cold, stop/starting at junctions etc... The cabin was a lovely place to be, really comfortable, mine had quite a high spec so had all the extras like climate, cruise, cd etc. They did a 115, a 130 and 150bhp version depending on how new you buy.

Some people dont like the mk4 shape. Ive also had 2 mk 5 golfs and found that they seemed to change the interior so it didnt feel as comfortable, it looks more plastic and cheap. The ride also seemed harder, but then the mk4`s did have a bit of a soft suspension it seemed - i swapped mine out for koni shocks/springs which improved things no end.

Outside of the golf, the BMW 320d was an immensely popular car, millions of people had them as company cars so the 2nd hand hand market is full of them.

Id also personally consider the 1 series M-Sport diesel. You probably wont be able to afford a 123d coupe like mine, they are still about 20k for one like mine, but the hatch back version has been out longer and can be picked up cheap now. The 123d is staggering. Over 200bhp, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, awesome handling, RWD and 50mpg. My coupe can fit 2 6ft+ adults in the back in perfect comfort with loads of head & leg room. The hatch might be slightly smaller although my mate has one as his family car for his wife + 2 kids without any issues. Actually the 1 series is the same size as the 3 series used to be back in the early 90`s as cars these days seem to grow!

If the 123d is out of budget then the more common 120d might be, they have 170bhp as stock and you can remap them to over 200bhp without breaking a sweat. In fact BMW offer a "performance package" themselves where they will fit a bigger intercooler, inproved cooling fan (i think) and a remap to get you up to 200bhp. Again, the 1 series was a very popular company car with executives thinking it made them look more important than driving a vectra or golf, so there are a lot of 118d`s and 120d`s about.

• Like 1