Importing parts

Desey

just wondering as i have never done it

when buying things and shipping them over from places like the US and Japan or whatnot, do you have to pay import tax on the items you buy or is it just the long postage wait and charges?

Take the price of your goods and shipping combined.

And then add 20% for your VAT, and then add between 3 and 6% import tax depending on what kind of parts it is.

I generally get a trusted friend who regularly imports stuff from the US to tag it onto orders.

If your prepared to be patient shipping can be cheap (ish) sent by sea (4 - 8 weeks) rather than air. I just had a price for 4 wheels from Japan, shipping by sea was only £162 to my door, not bad when you consider even inside the UK it would be £40 ish insured. I also just looked into some costs for a set of shocks from Northern Ireland, TNT wanted over a £100!!

If you find a decent seller and want to take a risk, they might also be friendly with the "value", but at your own risk, if it goes missing you can only claim the declared value.

Vat goes on last too, so its item value, import duty, shipping and then + VAT on all of it, staggering that you pay vat on a shipping service from another country but hey, we all know we have to grip out ankles when it comes to the government!

Most cases it's import taxes that bite, not delivery. As I'm looking at getting new s/c unit soon...air delivery not a lot, but taxes are like £300 :(

*cough* tax and customs cost me £1,600 so you're absolutely right, that's the killer part!

Buy your parts from a UK Trader. I bought a set of rear LEDs for my Zed from the US, and a month

later one developed a fault, £60 to return them to the US by UPS. Got my money back from the supplier for the LEDs only,

could not get my £34 import duty back so total out of pocket £94 - 00 and I still did not have a set of LEDs.

Could have bought a genuine set from Clark for what it cost me and what I lost.

Then bought a second hand set of genuine ones from a member on here.

Maybe I was just unlucky. :surrender:

I guess you have to be careful and select items which have very little chance of breaking.. like badges or big metal suspension parts... although that's no guarantee! Any saving would be wiped out straight away if you had to return the item! :(

ive just ordered a giant clock from china and now wondering how much it will really cost me now :blush: it landed at stanstead Saturday with fed ex....does that mean im going to get stung?? or is it a hit and miss thing? didnt realise to do it by sea makes sense

It depends... If you're lucky, they may have put a low value on the customs document... if not expect to pay another 30% with Duty, VAT and Handling! :(

is a low value under £100? I ordered a turbo charger kit from US and didnt pay a penny but then ordered some brakes and got stung pretty hard, havent ordered abroad for ages, seems they have got harsher! for OP sometimes people on here get stuff from US so maybe worth asking when you got a wod of cash and see if you can jump in on the order and contribute to original shipping cost

Edited by jumping350

is a low value under £100? I ordered a turbo charger kit from US and didnt pay a penny but then ordered some brakes and got stung pretty hard, havent ordered abroad for ages, seems they have got harsher! for OP sometimes people on here get stuff from US so maybe worth asking when you got a wod of cash and see if you can jump in on the order and contribute to original shipping cost

If it comes by Fed Ex they always seem to charge you Duty before they will deliver it. As they have to pay and then try

and collect it from you, so now you have to pay before they deliver, obviously they been stung a few hundred times. :surrender:

Most cases it's import taxes that bite, not delivery. As I'm looking at getting new s/c unit soon...air delivery not a lot, but taxes are like £300 :(

*cough* tax and customs cost me £1,600 so you're absolutely right, that's the killer part!

That's what you get when you get greedy...when V6 is not enough for you :lol: but £1600 is a big big ouch!