Start-up RPM?

jamess115

Hi Folks, The FairladyZ is the first real car of any performance I have owned and despite its 3.5l engine, I am wondering whether it needs tuning as it sounds like a jumbo jet when starting from cold. Having said this, it does settle down after a minute or so but idles at about 1,500 revs. Can anyone clarify whether this is normal? (Had engine service recently). Thanks in advance

Thanks for your replies. Correction! Mine actually idles at 1750-1800rpm on a cold start. Yes it is an auto. Can anyone advise me whether a tune-up would help? I've had an engine service recently but it was just a routine one

Edited by jamess115

Years ago when I was younger we used to have this thing on our cars called choke. You usually pulled a lever of some sorts when starting your car, this made the engine idle faster than usual, when the engine had warmed up a few miles down the road,you would push this choke contraption back in and your car would normally then idle at aroun 7.5 - 8.5 rpm.

Newer cars now days do this automatically, so starting your car from cold automatically cuts in with auto choke until your engine warms up.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Old Git.

• Like 3

Years ago when I was younger we used to have this thing on our cars called choke. You usually pulled a lever of some sorts when starting your car, this made the engine idle faster than usual, when the engine had warmed up a few miles down the road,you would push this choke contraption back in and your car would normally then idle at aroun 7.5 - 8.5 rpm.

Newer cars now days do this automatically, so starting your car from cold automatically cuts in with auto choke until your engine warms up.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Old Git.

How many BHP was it good for? Did it have an overdrive lever as well?

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Old Git.

"Years ago when I was younger" love it :D

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Old Git.

Thanks old boy

Edited by jamess115

For us, older, married guys..............

Didn't you just hate it when your wife pulled the choke right out to hang her hand bag on!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then drove 200 miles to her mothers!!

The hr idles at about 1700 on cold start! Neighbours must hate me

Mine is really quite loud on a cold start, I started it at 5am the other week as my company vehicle was in for a service and had to use the Z instead. Poor neighbours!