Think it's going to be a 370z!

stuarty

So i sold my 350z a few years ago now and i probably didn't realise how good a car it was at the time.

I've had a few cars since including my Z4 3.0si coupe, which is a bit small for me but an excellent all round sports car (apart from the runflats)!

I've been spending hours on end looking into my next car and narrowed it down to 3 cars.

E89 BMW Z4 35is M sport.

Porsche Cayman S.

Nissan 370z GT.

As I've had a few BMW's lately I'm put off with another, so although the 35is is a good car, I'm not going to bother. It's also very tight inside!

The Porsche Cayman is an awesome machine but the fear of something going wrong puts the fear of God into me and apparently there's a lot of problems that can occur! Add that to the initial cost of the car and its really putting me off.

The 370z is the best all rounder, take the cost of the road tax out of the equation and all of a sudden it's a great second hand buy.

I'm sure forum members will disagree regarding the cayman s but it's what I'm comfortable with.

I would rather have a 2011 370z with around 15000 miles with full service history in perfect condition than a 2006 Cayman S with high milage and crapping myself every time i heard a noise!

So I'm on the hunt!

I would go for the 370z

Few nice YELLOW ones for sale

Yeah there's a cracker for sale just now. Think its a limited edition and one of the cheapest. Only thing is, when I was younger i had a yellow mini metro GTA, loved the wee car, but everyone i knew called it "the flying banana" lol.

Don't think i could constantly listen to "where's your flying banana 2". It was ok in 1994 but not now! Lol.

You seem to be a very sensible fellow Stuarty.

Your the second person to say that to me! Thanks.

Don't tell me, the first person then fell unconscious, an ambulance was called, he was rushed to hospital and his stomach was pumped. This undoubtedly saved his life.

You seem to be a very sensible fellow Stuarty.

Your the second person to say that to me! Thanks.

Don't tell me, the first person then fell unconscious, an ambulance was called, he was rushed to hospital and his stomach was pumped. This undoubtedly saved his life.

haha, how'd you know?

Hey mate

I also had to decide between the cayman S and the 370z.

If you get a cayman after 2009 it will have the engine problem fixed plus a lot of other stuff (gen 2) Therefore I would not consider a car older than 2009. The gen 2 is how the cayman should have been when it first came out.

If you get a gen one and the engine breaks it's £17k to fix from Porsche or £10k from an independent. Therefore you will notice that post 2009 models are around 8-10k more in price since the sellers know people will pay 10k more for a 2009 car vs late 2008.

Secondly is that there isn't much of a modding scene with Porsches. The owners seem a bit like "keep it as it came" therefore there's no advice here in the uk. Most forums talk about servicing and that's it. There's more to a car than when you next are gonna service it!

Lastly was I reckon people at my work place would get really jealous if I turned up in a Porsche even though it would have new. 6 years old. I hate that but it's true.

So that's all the reasons why I didn't go for the porsche. But the Porsche is the better drivers car.

370z is a grand tourer. Not a sports car but it's a great car. Keep an eye out for noisy gearboxes and clutches. This is currently on all years. Although I've heard if you've had a 350z you'll be used to the noisy gearbox and clutch.

For the money I spent I'm able to make my 370z tactfully modified with a lot more cash left over than I was vs buying a stock 2009 cayman S

• Like 3

Hey mate

I also had to decide between the cayman S and the 370z.

If you get a cayman after 2009 it will have the engine problem fixed plus a lot of other stuff (gen 2) Therefore I would not consider a car older than 2009. The gen 2 is how the cayman should have been when it first came out.

If you get a gen one and the engine breaks it's £17k to fix from Porsche or £10k from an independent. Therefore you will notice that post 2009 models are around 8-10k more in price since the sellers know people will pay 10k more for a 2009 car vs late 2008.

Secondly is that there isn't much of a modding scene with Porsches. The owners seem a bit like "keep it as it came" therefore there's no advice here in the uk. Most forums talk about servicing and that's it. There's more to a car than when you next are gonna service it!

Lastly was I reckon people at my work place would get really jealous if I turned up in a Porsche even though it would have new. 6 years old. I hate that but it's true.

So that's all the reasons why I didn't go for the porsche. But the Porsche is the better drivers car.

370z is a grand tourer. Not a sports car but it's a great car. Keep an eye out for noisy gearboxes and clutches. This is currently on all years. Although I've heard if you've had a 350z you'll be used to the noisy gearbox and clutch.

For the money I spent I'm able to make my 370z tactfully modified with a lot more cash left over than I was vs buying a stock 2009 cayman S

Great advice mate.

Yeah, I'm used to the clunky gearbox in the 350z and if I'm honest my current z4 3.0si coupe is just as bad.

I know what you mean about modifying a cayman, it's similar with the z4 coupe, most keep them standard or maybe a set of CSL alloys, lol.

TBH I thought about a 313 but the price of 370z are really low just now, so as I've had a 350z the 370z is the smart choice.

Edited by stuarty

At some point today certain people are likely to pop up on this thread and take great pleasure in telling you much "better" the Cayman is. But if the Z is the car for you it really doesn't matter. Enjoy :)

Edited by sipar69