Scratch damage....what to do!

Roobies8

Hi All

My Other Half cleaned my car for me whilst I did house work, then came in saying he'd put a long scratch on the back of the car from, it sounds like, a bit of grit that was on my AutoGylm silicone blade.....was not a happy bunny (note to self, he's not cleaning it again!).

I've polished 3 times with my Shining Monkey Clean & Repair, it's got most of it out, but still shows up (it was getting less with each polish). It's a black 350z, do I continue to use this until it goes, or do I use some sort of black colour polish, or is that not the right thing to do. It's not major, but it's about 20 inches long!!!

Thanks

Ali

Never use a blade to dry a car, why people use a hard (compared to a chamois) object to dry a car I'll never know, I've spent countless hours rectifying drying blade "scratches"! I wouldn't normally recommend using it but try some colour magic polish on it, it may help if not a machine polish on top should get most of it out, shouldn't be too deep as could only have been grit or light dirt.

Any pictures Ali?

I use Meguairs Scratch X 2.0 which works very well on swirl marks, minor scratches & blemishes.

This may be worth a read (some helpful videos in it); http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/82891-stone-chip-scratch/page__hl__scratch

In future I'd recommend he uses one of the GTechniq drying towels for drying the car after a wash. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261282090569?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

:thumbs:

Okay, I'll ditch the silicone blade, I've learnt the hard way. It's not deep at all, it's just.....as you say....black shows up LOADS. I'll try a tiny bit of colour magic and then the Monkey Stuff (brilliant stuff).

I have the Autoglym drying cloth, but it's around 8 months old, so will replace with your recommendation.

I'll get a photo tomorrow to show you.

Thanks Guys (other half owes me big time...maybe he can buy new drying cloth!)

Ali

Okay, I'll ditch the silicone blade, I've learnt the hard way. It's not deep at all, it's just.....as you say....black shows up LOADS. I'll try a tiny bit of colour magic and then the Monkey Stuff (brilliant stuff).

I have the Autoglym drying cloth, but it's around 8 months old, so will replace with your recommendation.

Ali

That's the least he can do. ;)

I'd be asking for a nice massage to help rub out the tension you feel from worrying about the damage he caused. :D:thumbs:

• Like 1

Ali

That's the least he can do. ;)

I'd be asking for a nice massage to help rub out the tension you feel from worrying about the damage he caused. :D:thumbs:

Just....not even going to comment on you today GRAHAM! :lol:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/drying-towels/monster-microfibre-purple-monster-edgeless-xl/prod_1297.html Ordered that last week, went to use it today, then stopped and decided I should wash it 1st to remove excess fluff :lol:

I also have this from Halfrauds http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_776705_langId_-1_categoryId_165609

Drys the entire car :)

• Like 1

I have one of these http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/microfibre-drying-towels/chemical-guys-wooly-mammoth-drying-towel/prod_1003.html great towel can dry the whole car using it no problems at all.

I would also recommend Poorboys Black Hole Glaze, used it on my black Zed and it does fill those annoying little scratches quite nicely.

I know it isn't well favoured on here but..I dug out some T-Cut Scratch Remover today and had a go at some car park scuffs today. The results were great.

And for a drying towel I can wholeheartedly recommend the Megs Water Magnet. £12 on Amazon and worth every penny :D

Meg Ultimate Compound is also worth a try ;)

Have too agree with this. The megs stuff isn't the most expensive, or the cheapest, but the results are above its price point if you put the work in. My detailing bag consists of 90% megs products for this reason.

If you gently rub a finger nail across the scratch, does it catch on it? If it does, chances are that the scratch has gone the whole way through the paint and you'd need a smart repair to sort it out. A picture would be useful for some forum diagnosis :)

If you gently rub a finger nail across the scratch, does it catch on it? If it does, chances are that the scratch has gone the whole way through the paint and you'd need a smart repair to sort it out. A picture would be useful for some forum diagnosis :)

Agreed. If it really was just a piece of grit I'd hope it can be removed with right product and some elbow grease. I also vote for Meg's Ultimate Compound. Ditch the blade.