Ceejay's JDM and Bay - Let the fun begin?

Ceejay29

I have decided to document my attempt at what I believe we refer to as an engine bay ‘dress up,’ inspired by the many fine examples we have all seen on the forum. I have always liked the idea of focusing on this area, although have found it very daunting and suffered at the allurement of performance parts and external aesthetics.

So here is a photograph of the engine bay shortly after purchasing the car.

1_zpsefa840bc.jpg

The first additions to the bay took the form of a Cusco radiator cap and an EPR engine oil cap, don’t ask me why I bought these as one should add details like this to finish off a bay - like these are going to make a difference to the overall appearance (the term pi55ing in the wind comes to mind :blush: ).

A fellow forum member advertised a used K&N Typhoon CAI, so this was next on the list and that is where all spare money over the last twelve months has gone – chasing the ‘big ponies’ we all dream of but rarely achieve without spending mega bucks. Bolt-on after bolt on arrived at the garage….wonder if I have gained an extra 10bhp yet :lol:

Any way back on topic; The K&N was a nice addition, had slight damage to the carbon lid as specified by the seller, but worked out ok. We removed the OEM airbox and slid the K&N airfilter housing into position (which was extremely snug). Relocating wires and conduit proved to be a PITA but got there in the end.

2_zpsb95c29e5.jpg

3_zpsfe1d5e0f.jpg

We encountered a minor issue when attaching the carbon lid. The bonnet pin switch, an integral part of the aftermarket alarm system, was located on the exact spot where the lid should mount the body.

4_zps753bcab8.jpg

We decided that the easiest option was to leave the pin in position and cut off the damaged area of the lid (as it was pretty much useless anyway) and fix to the underside of the bracket. It does the job.

5_zps44354cad.jpg

6_zps903289ce.jpg

After a long spell away from the engine bay my attention had been captured by Ironhide’s group buy last year; the radiator cooling panel. At this point a colour scheme had not been considered, I was simply purchasing this part based on the potential ‘cooling gains’ to be had from it :lol: . Nevertheless I did opt for a sensible colour, anodized red, which has informed my vision of a colour scheme today.

7_zps785609f7.jpg

8_zps75632226.jpg

This image doesn't really illustrate it well, but I love how the slight gap between the bonnet and bumper exposes a thin red strip.

9_zpsca454c64.jpg

As of late I have been bitten by the engine bay detailing bug, thanks to many of you here on the forum. I have included myself in on Tarmac’s polished strut brace group buy, bought anodized red jubilee clips (don’t ask me why as these probably will not be needed until a year further down the line) and invested in a number of spray cans. I am still waiting for the VHT metallic silver/grey to arrive which will be the predominant colour under the hood.

4ea50b59-66b8-4408-b9f7-7555269631c6_zps53e13eb6.jpg

I have chosen to start on an area that requires the least skill and one of which its easily replaceable if I foreseeably make a pigs ear of it…..the battery and fluid covers. I will then progress on to the engine cover, fluid caps, the strut brace feet and elements of the CAI.

So here goes. I began by cleaning and keying up the parts, applying thin layers of plastic primer and sanding between coats using 800/1200/1500 wet and dry on numerous occasions.

11_zpsfa8712f3.jpg

12_zpsc967ce38.jpg

Once happy I decided to apply the first base coat of anodized silver (which I actually like).

11_zpsf067fb4e.jpg

12_zps1153e32d.jpg

Do I now continue to sand back with wet and dry, or apply the colour coat? Cant believe how patient I am being!!

Edited by Ceejay29

Just give it a light rub back with 12 then 15 then a light ghost of red then build up :thumbs: patience is your friend here.

Here is my tip for the day, shake the can up well,then put it a mug with boiling water in it for 20 seconds,take it out shake well again then ad can back in the water for another 20 secs,No longer you don't want the top blowing off now do you :lol: this will heat the paint inside the can and will spray loads better :thumbs:

• Like 1

I also have a K+N Typhoon system on mine. Just as I was about to board a train to Leman a few years back, the base corner of the metal box decided at that precise moment to break through the cable and short out my entire dash, inc aircon, speedo cruise control and fuel gauge. Could never work out what was causing it until a week after i got back. I ended up gribbling the corner away a little more just to makesure it was clear in the future. Just be warned, its a tight fit in that corner with the harness coming up

Thanks for the heads up Daryl, I can recall my father looking alarmed whilst watching me manhandle the harness and god knows what else during installation. The kit fits in ok, but like you said it is super snug. I may now modify the box ever so slightly when I remove it for paint.

I think i took 5mm off that corner just to make sure. I think i also added some rubber/plastic trim just on that edge as an extra safety precaution too. Id had the kit fitted for 6 months prior to the failure, just decided to break through the cable at the worst time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to spend a little more time on engine plastics this weekend. Need to apply final colour coats on many pieces, but nearly there!

7D850491-B139-4AF5-B129-301BDA789C7D_zpshd3vzqtp.jpg

The instructions on the back of the lacquer and enamel cans suggest that I should rub back the final colour coat before applying the lacquer. Is this correct? I am concerned about losing the metallic/anodized finishes and ending up with a matt appearance?

The clear coat will leave it looking wet which is what your after but us the finest wet n dry you have I would use 2000 :thumbs: pm me if you need any hints etc :thumbs: have you saw my new Core Strut Braces for sale there's a thread let me know your thoughts :thumbs:

Cheers Mark, I was hoping you would comment. I have just bought some 2000 grit wet and dry so will delicately prepare the final coat for lacquer.

Yes I did see briefly see your core strut brace on 14N's car, good work! It's a nice addition to the bay and would look sweet polished. I will have a proper read at lunch.

• Like 1

So I started today by polishing turds. Decided to tackle the OEM strut brace bolts I have using the grinder. I am reluctant to reinstall the colour coded parts using the terrible nuts/bolts I have, but this is the only option I have before my shiney bolt kit arrives.

D41FA63D-F057-4BEE-A753-79E96DE7E58A_zpss5ejuwmp.jpg

Managed to spend a little more time this afternoon applying clear coat and reconstructing parts. I did manage to make a pigs ear of the dipstick, became impatient and applied far too much colour coat to the extent where you struggled to read the 'engine oil' notation. Soaked in it in a cocktail of boiling water and white spirit and started again. Lesson learned.

Most items finished now, need to add a few layers of clear coat to the engine cover and colour the dipstick;

2C4CEADE-8D0C-4FA3-A0F0-F20D0BF92E8A_zpsjgfvqu2u.jpg

A close up of the strut feet;

24F28B4C-9EA7-42A9-9499-A7A55B065B54_zpsnkiw3cub.jpg

An idea of the relationship between the chosen colours;

76489E8F-3A3F-4CAB-8192-B81012596FD5_zpsewwp0eyo.jpg

One question I do have concerns the battery cover surround. I cannot for the life of me remember how it is fixed back to the car. I do know that the three holes at the top house black clips; it is the two holes at the bottom? I am pretty sure a rubber grommit wraps the opening, but to what side do I insert the metal nut/washer thing? And I am pretty sure four bolts should be present to fix through this opening.........can't find them?

Thanks

Edited by Ceejay29
  • Like 1

Nice to meet you today :thumbs:

Don't know why you were so worried about your choice in colours it's coming on a treat - should look the dogs when your done :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser

Nice to meet you today :thumbs:

Don't know why you were so worried about your choice in colours it's coming on a treat - should look the dogs when your done :thumbs:

Cheers Keyser, nice to meet the both of you too. Thank you very much for dropping the Chargespeed off; after a good ten minutes of thought I managed to somehow squeeze it into the Focus and take it home. It now resides in the loft haha!

I'm not as loud in colour choice as some of us ;) but managed to convince myself to add in a bit of red to the subtle gunmetal and black! Fingers crossed it will look as good as I imagined.