Ceejay's JDM and Bay - Let the fun begin?

Ceejay29

• 3 weeks later...

Work finally began the weekend before last on the JDM set up. I was fairly confident that with better disks and pads I could bring the JDM kit up to speed, although I wanted something that looked a lot nicer behind the 19’s. Now the obvious choice would have been an upgrade to the GT pack brembo’s which are readily available, although I wanted to go above and beyond with something slightly larger and different. So a few months back (probably longer) I sourced an Akebono brake kit through R35LEE, who I must add is a top chap; extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Alongside this I purchased CZP’s 350z Akebono brake adapter kit, an HEL brake line kit and some Motul 600 brake fluid from Jez at Horsham ready for the big day.

Well the big day, or night I should say, began with another team-building exercise (this time slightly harder due to the side steps)….how to build a bridge over the ramp and swing the arms underneath. Absolute nightmare, but managed it.

IMG_4045_zps03187921.jpg

IMG_4046_zps244677da.jpg

IMG_4047_zps71eec150.jpg

IMG_4050_zpsa630222a.jpg

Apart from this I am pleased to say that it was all relatively straight forward. I have had experience with retrofitting bespoke parts to cars/upgrading elements and more often than not it proves to be a PITA. I can recall my father complaining a lot when converting MGB’s and Midgets into Costello V8’s to name a few cars. Although enjoyable a lot of custom fabrication is usually par for the course; but not this time. Every part simply bolted on.

Step 1 – Removal and Cleanup

Using brake hose clamps, a 10mm, 19mm and 21mm ratchet we slung the entired JDM set up out (with great pleasure I must add) and removed the tatty spacers/hub converters. Using the airline and orbital sander a quick cleanup operation was in place.

IMG_4048_zps5a9d6058.jpg

IMG_4051_zpsc4810024.jpg

IMG_4054_zps2d9ce14c.jpg

Step 2 - Front Caliper Bracket

We mounted the two caliper brackets using the supplied bolts, providing a precise fixing point for each caliper. The alignment was flawless.

IMG_4055_zpsd03f895b.jpg

IMG_4056_zps06aee1b5.jpg

Step 3 - Front Discs and Calipers.

The new discs simply slid on and were fixed using the existing spacers/hub converters. They are pretty big in comparison - 356mm! We had to customise the dust shields as the base had to be adjusted for clearance, and gave the discs a quick blast of brake cleaner. After a quick nip and tuck a test fit confirmed that the calipers were ready to be fixed down to the bracket.

A quick size comparison;

IMG_4049_zps3f35b6ce.jpg

IMG_4057_zps0773c715.jpg

IMG_4058_zpsda729df9.jpg

IMG_4067_zps1511cd51.jpg

Step 4 - Rear Dust Shield

Both the rear calipers and discs are far too big for mounting directly on, I believe the rear rotors are circa 350mm which immediately highlights the sheer difference in diameter and consequent issues. The rear dust shield required substantial modification, we began by removing the lip around the perimeter of the shield using an angle grinder and smoothed afterwards. Once the heat shield was flattened out we trimmed certain edges in order to house the caliper and prevent any fouling.

IMG_4053_zps5259df10.jpg

Step 5 -Rear Discs and Calipers

Again the new discs simply slid on and were fixed using the existing spacers/hub converters, the calipers are mounted to the existing structure...simples. At this point we adjusted the handbrake shoes and for once it works spot on!

IMG_4068_zpsae5d8652.jpg

Step 6 – Brake Lines

By this time we were flying, although it was obvious that the final stage could prove to be a PITA as the existing connections were horrific. After carefully disconnecting the existing hoses we cleaned up as best possible and connected the new lines. It quickly became apparent that we couldn’t get a good connection at the rear thanks to a fluid leak. By this time it must have been half two in the morning and I could see the old mans patience diminishing rapidly, but we got there in the end. The brake power bleeder and vacuum pump made light work of the bleeding stage and a firm brake pedal confirmed that all leaks had been resolved.

IMG_4065_zps9f11d2d2.jpg

IMG_4066_zps11ad8dd5.jpg

Now it is clear that the discs and pads were mucky. I drove the car to work today (which brought a grin to my face as I am used to driving the Focus) and it appears that they are gradually cleaning up, hopefully a good run will help? Otherwise I will invest in new......

IMG_4228_zps48309f38.jpg

IMG_4229_zps11af02f5.jpg

IMG_4227_zps8023b8b0.jpg

IMG_4226_zpsa86c980f.jpg

Oh, I should add that the brakes feel awesome and look the part :) Could do with some three spokes to show them off :lol:

Edited by Ceejay29
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Chris that's a great collection of parts, ...have you bought any hose clamps for the Samco hoses?

Just wondered as it would be a shame to fit the old clamps on with those nice new hoses. Fyi ~ I bought a set of stainless steel hose clamps from Demon Tweeks which was around £12+P&P. Bargain I thought. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yes exciting times GM :)

I will raid the old mans tool box/supplies. Fairly certain that I have seen numerous jubilee clips amongst everything else. I will replace them with a pack of biscuits :lol: Hoping that he also has the coolant I require in stock. Out of interest do you know what the zed takes?

Yes exciting times GM :)

I will raid the old mans tool box/supplies. Fairly certain that I have seen numerous jubilee clips amongst everything else. I will replace them with a pack of biscuits :lol: Hoping that he also has the coolant I require in stock. Out of interest do you know what the zed takes?

What type or how much?

It uses Nissan L248 (pre-mix) engine coolant. Link: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=78_169_293_1418&products_id=25498

It's something like 9 1/2 litres for a full refill but I think that depends on if you manage to drain the entire block or not? As CS above said it's probably closer to 5 for most people. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Morning all,

I managed to fit the hoses and coolant overflow tank amongst many other things yesterday. Thought that I had bled the system ok but an overheating issue would suggest otherwise. Coolant appears to be flowing out of the tank ventilation tube. Photo attached;

3F1806FC-2A23-4776-9663-C22B2406C703_zpsp5el1i8m.jpg

Any suggestions?

Looks like I won't be attending any meets today :(

91AACC14-6C06-4DB0-BFA9-FFA19F2FE985_zpsprfiznqu.jpg

Many thanks

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So I am half way through a number of little projects;

Began gutting the interior for a little make over before xmas; sent the centre console off to Aquagraphix (who were very professional - speedy turn around despite my indecisiveness!) and am waiting to dispatch other items for alcantara treatment.

IMG_4581_zps9f3adb37.jpg

IMG_4579_zpsfcf60202.jpg

48CBFE3D-BB19-4BCD-8274-CE3AA07BC250_zpslvykv4lx.jpg

618BAEA5-E031-4A2C-A41B-3C611008322F_zpsigd6idzn.jpg

124022CE-A25E-44A0-BDAD-3089050FBB6D_zpsoijs2vox.jpg

I have a sent off a few items for powdercoating and began the prep work today for installing the new headlights of which I should complete on Monday. Tempted to buy a Z Speed whilst the OEM tray is off :surrender:

B4DE89B5-B472-47D8-ACCD-8AA6E4D5AA50_zpstwssvw7v.jpg

65F4F87F-D6DC-4669-AAAE-E5D34BC5811B_zpsbvaudsl0.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally reassembled the front end after a successful day modifying the existing JDM headlight loom to accommodate Bi-Xenons. Visually it makes a huge difference, the internals look so much nicer and the de-tango coherently finishes the front end. Took the car out afterwards for a quick spin; couldn't resist as I last drove it n November. Felt pretty quick and loud after smoking around in a horrific Focus!

5422FDF9-BA57-49CC-87BC-3623B4EFB044_zps2xxmsnby.jpg

BA8F2BDF-15B2-4148-B2BB-BBC777FA4C19_zpsgzr3oalw.jpg

38834918-7479-467B-AE6B-A0ADC8313022_zps9uawbxrq.jpg

Now to sort out the interior, fit the Exedy clutch and fly and maybe headers :teeth:

• Like 2

Looks much better mate! Front end looks very smooth and modern :)

I'm wondering if the garage that did the harness work on my headlights modified the harness on the car, or the newer headlights.

I'm hoping it's the car harness converted to 8 pin, my Z-Works lights will be plug and play then!

• Like 1

Thanks, I am pleased, worth every penny IMO (the lady won't agree - especially if she finds out the true cost :lol:)

Well there were two ways of approaching it; sacrifice the old headlights and modify the bi-xenons by converting them from 8 pin to 6 or modify the car loom and leave the wires serving self levelling motor obsolete.

Felt that the latter was the better option as it meant that I could sell on the old lights intact to recoup some money whilst maintaining the integrity of the bi-xenons.

We did have to re-arrange the connectors and shuffle some wires around in order to marry them together. But upon reflection it was a doddle.