Picking up my first 350z roadster Saturday :-)

HI Everyone

Picking up my first 350z on Saturday

2005 roadster in sunburst orange :-)

Anything you experienced owners of a roadster can tell me about the car that only an owner would know?

Any little niggles or issues i will come across.

Thanks everyone

Regards

Michael

hi thre and wecome to the club.... roadster club that is

its been brought up a few times over the last couple of months but dont be suprised if the roof wont go down in chilly weather. the roof material is quite stiff and its totally normal for it to stick if not warmed up. dont try and force it down just either park in the sun to warm it or stick the heaters on for a while

enjoy!

• Like 1

As an ex roadster owner there was only a couple of things I had. One was the roof doesnt like going down when cold. The user manual actually states something like "dont use the hood if its less than 8 degrees warm". It can stick half way down, at which point you need to switch to close to make the hood close slightly, then switch back to open for it to click past the sticking point.

However, you can happily drive the car with the roof down when its like 1 degree out there. Stick the heater on and you`ll be in a bubble of nice warm air.

The only other roadster issue is that the roof has horizontal supports which go under it. The one directly over the drivers is under tension when the roof opens and I found on mine, it peeled the metal back from around the support bar, which affected the hoods operation. Nissans solution was to hammer it back and rivet it back in place.

• Like 1

Welcome, I have had my roadster for a couple of years now and love it, I'm looking forward to the sun coming out again !

As already mentioned the roofs don't like to go down when it is cold.

There are a couple of areas (the corners near the door handles) where the roof can split over time, basically due to age. This can normally be temporarily resolved with products such as stormsure. Otherwise a few of us now have experience of having our roofs replaced with mohair roofs. There are a couple of companies in the South that do this at a pretty reasonable price.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)

chirag1988 - I hope it will be sunny this weekend, forecast could go either way atm

Thanks for all the info

Mechanically is there something i need to keep an eye on, I was an Alfa driver before this and they drank oil like an alcoholic at a free wine tasting

Yes, 8 degrees is the minimum operating temperature. The reality is that after a long winter of inactivity it needs to be closer to 10 degrees and even then you may need to open and close it a few times as it tends to stop just before its fully open and locked into position. Roadsters do seem to hold more condensation in the winter months as well.

Mechanically, there's little to choose, they all the same minor niggles that coupe's have really.

Pete

• Like 1

Going back to the Mohair hoods

Im having mine fitted with a brand new mohair roof as the roof it had was a bit tired.

Are the Mohair better then the original roofs for durability?

Someone just had one done - Meeeerk I think - and it is lovely :thumbs:

Wife has a roadster and we have changed the roof but for a genuine one from a 2005 it is not leaking so far and goes up and down (when warm)

:welcome: along and congrats.

• Like 1

I've only had a mohair roof for a couple of weeks so can't talk form experience but my understanding is that the material will not split like vinyl and there is a rubber layer sandwiched in between material so it will not leak...

I am very pleased with my new roof so far..