Soon to be 350z owner soon hopefully looking at an Import though

Hello there,

Hoping to be a 350z owner shortly, however I don't have much of a budget and have spotted a 2003 auto for sale.

Bit more digging and it appears all auto box ones shall be an import, and the seller is skating about the Lilly pond attempting to hide the fact.

However the fact it's and import and an auto does'nt really bother me, just concerns I may be getting ripped off and waste my hard earned ££.

I posted in the import section and had a couple of replies suggesting I ask if a more local member could assist and view with me with their fountain of knowledge and I am not bad with cars we an figure out if the car is worth it.

The car is in Leicester and I am in Glasgow so not ideal, obviously reward for your time.

And advise much appreciated and hoping this is going to work out.

Been checking out the web for the most common things to look for but best to Speak with the people who live and love these cars

[mod edit: no phone numbers on the forum please]

Thanks

Cameron

Thanks all for the replies.

A bit more info as follows,

It's a private sale, the current owner for the last 12 months, and he said 1 owner from new before them.

Full service history, but he can't detail what's been replaced, so probably just the book that's stamped.

It's a 2003 03 although when I checked the reg number on totalcar checks.co.uk it mentions registered in 2007, but the year is 2003 and the plate is on a 03.

Think this confirms its been imported in 2007 although its a 2003 model.

Auto box with semi auto also.

80,000 miles and mot until jan 2015.

This is going for £4,000. Which I think is a steel providing the car is ok.

Not really got a budget, but at his cost don't need and car loan so would suit better.

Next car is meant to be a mustang, but my budget is a bit away yet, so seen this one and its raised my eyebrow and got me wondering.

A mate has twin turbo 300 and the 300 and 350 have always been on my radar if one came up.

Been a fiat coupe turbo man for the last 10 years or so but fed up being under the bonnet and the uncertaintanty of not returning from a journey, so reliability also attracts me to these.

Also the forums and members seem to be more than helpful, so this very reassuring when things go wrong.

Fiat coups are a bit of a mare to work on.

Think if I go unprepared I'll have my 350z glasses on and would need someone to keep my feet on the ground and stop me me handing over the cash.

Also it's going to be a 600 mile round trip Glasgow - Leicester so need to ensure I do the right thing here.

Cheers for any further advise or if any one is the area of Leicester and can view with me this coming weekend would be amazing for peace of mind.

Hello again,

Has or would you guys use an AA inspection or RAC for a couple hundred quid according to their web site they will check over a car and provide a report on it.

This may be a possible option for me, this would save me making the trip if the car is no use, they also guarantee

Up to 10k or 20k dependant on what type of inspection you went for.

For the risk of losing a couple of hundred may be worth the risk.

Don't suppose any one has used type of inspection. ?

Only thing with this option is risk may be they won't know any thing about these cars , and losing inspection cost if the car is a hanger.

Any thoughts appreciated.

:welcome: along!

I used an AA inspection when I bought mine, as I was living in a new area and didn't have a friendly tech or knowledgable zed owner on hand. TBF, for an inspection where they don't actually poke stuff, just look at it, it's a decent service. Two negatives for me; (1) they provide no guarantees, so if they say it's sweet then it explodes next week, you don't get anything back, (2) it's not exactly cheap. All in all, I used the AA report to leverage getting a few jobs done on the car before I bought it, so it very nearly paid for itself. However, if it comes back saying it's a dog, then you obviously ain't gonna buy it.

I'd use it again as a last resort, but you're better off with a friendly tech or knowledgable member. Good luck in the hunt.

Edited by SuperStu

Welcome Cameron to a fellow Scot.

Unfortunately in 90% of cases you get what you pay for - very few bargains out there.

Would question how the seller knows it only has two owners when from 2003 to 2007 it was not in country.

Also hard verrifying service history during this time.

Not saying its a minger - just be cautious.

As others have said, post up a link and I'm sure you'll have plenty of feedback.

Edited by aidan

A warm :welcome: There are 4 or 5 Z's around Glasgow on auto trader may be worth looking at these at least if anything goes wrong you don't have a 300 mile trip to resolve any issues.

A few early imports locally to Glasgow .......or you could always hang fire and buy a forum members car. At least then you'll have some idea of any issues and forum members tend (I say TEND) to keep there cars in better condition. Might get a few bits n bobs already done to it also.

By the time you AA check and then travel south, surely thats verging on 2-300 quid, not to mention it might end up a heap o sh8t when you get there.

All depends on your budget and what you want (import/uk/leather/ etc etc).

Edited by aidan

Again thank you for responses.

If I was sensible, and I am sure you will agree i should walk away due to the logistics.

If it was round the corner then great.

Its like having a Angel on one shoulder, and a devil on the other.

Perhaps it is Ok and a genuine Import and has been well looked after. mmmmmmm.

May miss out on the bargain the centuary, maybe worth a punt.

The maths don't add up, if they were the last owner for 12 months, and a previous owner for 9 x years they said then the free check i did showed up as if it was registed in 2007.

so a few annomolies that make you nervous.

Any way sorry for my tales of woe, will update once i figure out what to do.

Will give them a call again and call their bluff with regards to an AA inspection.

They are aware I would be driving the 300 miles to view, so if they are are aware of any serious issues, surely your conscience should tell them to let me know.

After all its them that shall need to deal with an irate Scotsman and worst still his Wife as she will be the co driver.

Will post again.

Thanks

Cameron

If you end up driving 300 miles to view it then the chances are the seller knows he has you over a barrel then if it comes to price negotiations as they know you are very keen to buy. Id be more tempted to wait until a more local one come along. Theres no end of zeds out there and the really early ones like 2002/2003 are getting cheap now.

My ex had an AA inspection on one of her cars and they were pretty thorough. This was before I met her and she didnt know anyone who knew about cars. Funny thing was the gearbox went 6 months later on the car, so i dug out the AA inspection to see what guarantee they have and to my surprise they actually had mentioned that the gearbox sounded a bit ropey and might be on the way out. And yet her dad still went and bought the car.

Decided to call the seller again tomorrow, try and find about a bit more.

I will call his bluff with regards to the AA inspection to see what the reaction is, and could HPI it and see what it flags up.

If still got doubts then think this will give this one a miss.

Well made the trip, and alls good. Genuine couple, everything checked out and car was in near perfect condition.

Engine smooth as silk and pulls like a train.

Ran the 360 miles home and never missed a beat.

Kind of nursed it on the way up, but gave it the odd blast, amazing run and managed to do the 360 miles in just under 3/4 of a tank.

So motorways driving returned god mileage.

Spec for a jap import surprising good.

Went and seen a 2004 on the way down and the only difference was the leather, the dash has a blank door with a storage compartment in it.

Where the one I got has the jap sat nav, rear reversing camera and tv screen. DVD player is built into the rear area behind the drivers seat.

Need to brush up on my Japanese for the sat nav, but the reversing camera is a bonus I think.

No brembo bakes but the nissan ones stop ok.

Kind of glad I got the auto, as the gt gear changes were heavy, also has a semi auto which your can manually change up and down.

No cruise control which could have been handy on the way up.

But a couple of stops in the glorious sunshine they had down there rested the right foot, no need for my left foot now.

Could'nt believe what I paid for it, the jap import must put people off, but so so glad I made the trip and had a nice wee night in Leicester.

Would like to get it checked over, don't suppose anyone can suggest a good place or possibly a member that works on these in Glasgow area.

Thanks to all the replies and guidance.