Tunnel of Death.........!!!!

Kev946

This is the Tunnel of Death it is a tunnel in Russia near Poland. There is a river running over the tunnel and water leaks at some points. When the temperature reaches nearly 0°C like it does in winter in Russia, the road freezes and becomes as slippery as ...well...ice. The result is the attached video which was taken during a single day with the tunnel surveillance camera.

This is the Tunnel of Death it is a tunnel in Russia near Poland. There is a river running over the tunnel and water leaks at some points. When the temperature reaches nearly 0°C like it does in winter in Russia, the road freezes and becomes as slippery as ...well...ice. The result is the attached video which was taken during a single day with the tunnel surveillance camera.

Ahh now it all makes sense! Where are the bloody gritters when you need them then!

I can't view it as youtube is blocked here.

However, having lived in Russia for two years I can state that they can't drive. They drive the same way year round, the roads department is the best I've seen in the world but not changing your driving style from summer (+30 - 40* in the region I lived) to winter (-30 - -50* in the region I lived) is asking for trouble!

if it's a tunnel, and underground by a fair bit in order to go under an existing river, how on earth can it be reaching below 0 temperatures?

Underground is always much warmer than above ground afaik. weird :wacko: