Track day decibel limits, miltek + hfc ok?

Hi guys i just wanted to know if any of you have breached noise limits with custom exhausts at track days and been prevented from racing? The miltek is one of the "quieter" exhausts and should be fine ticking over, but it can rasp loudly @ 3500rpm so drive-by noise might be an issue. Anyone have a similar set up and experienced problems? Fyi thinking bedford next wknd which has a 88db drive by limit IIRC.

Thanks,

DT

Cars with the same set-up can have a +/- 5db difference easily.

Best thing you can do, is measure it yourself. Even one of the free DB meter apps from an app store will give you a ball park figure.

• Like 1

Lexx is right, I know the app I used for me bike was only out by a couple of dbs, so gave an idea. 88 is quite low, snetterton is about 95 I think and it's an exponential scale. 88 must be like a whisper.

Lexx i don't have a dB meter andi wouldn't trust a phone app. Also difficult to accurately test "drive by" conditions hanging my phone out the window. 88dB does seem subjectively low though.

Seriously apps not that bad, I mean if you came in at 80db on app and it was 3/4 dbs out you'd still be ok.

• Like 1

Hire a dB meter from Bookatrack and do it properly. It's £9 including p&p.

Why more people don't do this and know for 99% sure, I don't know. Drive-by you'll never be able to test, of course, but if you fly through the static then you're unlikely to have an issue there.

• Like 1

You maybe ok but depends how the HFC "tunes" the Miltek. Use a DB app or the suggestion Dan gave.

I got flagged at Bedford several times at Bedford. Just lifted off subsequently.

My setup was DC headers, ART decat pipes, Miltek CBE and then most recently Invidia Gemini.

Both setups passed static at 94db. I'm also supercharged😜 TBH my zorst is quieter than many NA set up on here and definately a whisper compared to my k1 and header setup😖😖

I suspect the ART pipes has got everything to do with it.

• Like 2

I tickled the 90db limit at croft at with my 'quiet' scorpion + hfcs, as for the drive by I just backed right off as I went through the section, it was nicely situated before a slow bend anyway.

• Like 1

I was 90 or 92 db (not 100% which) static at Combe with a Hks dual, decided that gave me loads of room to get some hfc's, i will up date this year once i get checked.

Bear in mind db has weird scaling, its something like every 3db is twice as loud.

I was 90 or 92 db (not 100% which) static at Combe with a Hks dual, decided that gave me loads of room to get some hfc's, i will up date this year once i get checked.

Bear in mind db has weird scaling, its something like every 3db is twice as loud.

It's on a logarithmic scale so it's a PITA to work with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_unit#Logarithmic_units

If anyone's interested the scale in the table on the right hand side of this page shows how it works. Note the entry for 3db and it's power ratio of 2, as per Jetpilot's post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Acoustics