Just bought my 370z! Also advice on wheel wobble

gstraw

Hey

So I sealed the deal on a Le Mans blue 370z. Lovely car and lovely previous owner. Took it for a test drive and I was so caught up trying to listen out for the gearbox that I hardly noticed the slight steering wobble when braking.

It's annoying since I should have said something during the rear drive- I thought it may have just been the road surface or tramlining of the tyres but after my 10 hour drive home (crazy!!) I realised that the steering wheel and brake pedal does pulsate/ wobble when braking gently.

I'm thinking this may mean the disks are not sitting true or it may mean that the disks may be warped?

Any ideas? I want to try and find out ASAP and I'm thinking of taking it to nissan or infinity Glasgow today and ask them to check. Would they charge for a check and estimate on the work?

Thanks

unu9equb.jpg

Warped discs, need them skimmed or new discs

Congrats on the car, looks B)

I have read on another 370 with the same problem they had the discs skimmed and the wobble came back, new discs and the wobble came back and they then had to have a new hub and discs to cure it, they were lucky it was under warranty !

Hopefully this isn't the case, if discs are needed pm R35Lee he was breaking a 370 with 2k miles on it

Edited by GIXXERUK

Go and do some seriously hard braking sessions from 70-30, repeatedly. See if that cures it.

If not, then any of the other suggestions here will sort it.

Can make it worse Dan, chat to Darren and Tophooker.

Darren tried it with DU11 FVC but it made it worse.

Go and do some seriously hard braking sessions from 70-30, repeatedly. See if that cures it.

+1. Try the bedding in procedure, with these cars not being used as much as they should sometimes it causes corrosion on the inside of the discs ( happens quite a lot on porsche's due to lack of use)

Its free so try it :thumbs:

Can make it worse Dan, chat to Darren and Tophooker.

Darren tried it with DU11 FVC but it made it worse.

I don't see he has much to lose at this point Chris

Hi,

If you take it to Infinity, ask for the runout on the discs to be measured with the wheels torqued on.

Then ask them to measure the runout with the wheels off but the disc trapped on the hub with 5 nuts not 2 as is standard in dealerships.

If the readings are very different the chances are you have an issue with the wheels.

In this instance changing the discs alone or skimming will only alleviate the problem for 1500 to 2000 milles before it reappears.

Try the Italian tune up as suggested, this can in some cases help, it will soon become obvious whether this is helping. If the judder becomes worse every time you do the tune up it ain't going to cure it.

+1 to what ChrisS says, pm tophooker, he has dealt with this problem before on other cars, it's the disks.

its not always the discs , they should measure the disk for run out, measure the disk for thickness variation and check that theres no pad deposits. If theres run out you then need to check the hub for stuff on the surface and then measure the run out on the hub.also the wheel nut torque should be checked and debris behind the wheels

can be very costly to throw discs at the problem

how many miles on the car gstraw ?

as above tophooker knows what he's talking about :thumbs:

Edited by GIXXERUK

:( I'm well gutted tbh. Was happy about getting a new car and this has just totally spoilt my day :(

The cars done 27,000 miles and new pads were put on 1500 miles ago the seller said. Of course the seller is denying knowing anything about this which I find hard to believe.

If it's disks then I can replace them. If it's hub that's a lot more expensive!

:( I'm well gutted tbh. Was happy about getting a new car and this has just totally spoilt my day :(

The cars done 27,000 miles and new pads were put on 1500 miles ago the seller said. Of course the seller is denying knowing anything about this which I find hard to believe.

If it's disks then I can replace them. If it's hub that's a lot more expensive!

hopefully just discs but it's worth getting it checked before you fit discs :thumbs:

I probably wouldn't have bought a car if I wasn't 100% happy with it. But best thing to do now is take the hit and get it checked over. The boys in Infiniti will sort it out no doubt.

Nissan want 70 per hour plus vat and infinity 50 per hour to diagnose. Not sure how long they will take

I feel annoyed at myself. Wish I could just return the car now. Maybe I'm being silly though

thats understandable mate but once this is sorted you can move on and enjoy the car :thumbs:

price up discs and the cost of diagnosis and work out if its worth the risk of throwing some discs on and crossing you're fingers ( this is what i would do), well I wouldn't as I have a run out dial and could test it but you get my drift

have you tried the italian tune up ?

tbh, any decent garage will be able to give a proper diagnosis.

My car is 1yr old and did 19k. I got the geometry done and replaced the pads... what a difference. I hadn't realised how much the car had deteriorated since new.

tbh, any decent garage will be able to give a proper diagnosis.

My car is 1yr old and did 19k. I got the geometry done and replaced the pads... what a difference. I hadn't realised how much the car had deteriorated since new.

you would hope but not so, nissan skimmed the discs, then fitted new and then couldn't find the fault and replaced both hubs to cure a recent problem :surrender:

What you are describing is exactly the issue I had and tried the bedding-in procedure, replacement pads and discs and the problem came back.

As Marcus (Tophooker) says, you need to find the cause of the problem or like me you end up throwing money at what might be the obviuos only to find it is only a temporary fix. My Zed was transformed - see here: http://www.350z-uk.c...page__hl__discs

Seriously, If the supplying garage does not agree to sorting (and doubt they would do what should be done) I would bite the bullet and make arrangements to let Marcus sort it for you - maybe a meet up that somewhere mutually agreeable. At least you will enjoy the trip home ;)

What you are describing is exactly the issue I had and tried the bedding-in procedure, replacement pads and discs and the problem came back.

As Marcus (Tophooker) says, you need to find the cause of the problem or like me you end up throwing money at what might be the obviuos only to find it is only a temporary fix. My Zed was transformed - see here: http://www.350z-uk.c...page__hl__discs

Seriously, If the supplying garage does not agree to sorting (and doubt they would do what should be done) I would bite the bullet and make arrangements to let Marcus sort it for you - maybe a meet up that somewhere mutually agreeable. At least you will enjoy the trip home ;)

Wasnt this a private sale?

yes

yes

In which case I would definitely recommend that the OP chats with/pms Tophooker. He is used by Nissan HPC dealers (and others) which says enough about his workmanship. ;)

Where is Marcus based? Is Marcus top hooker?

It was a private sale kind of but paid by credit card since the seller has a mot garage. I've got protection with my credit card company (thank god! I'm just lucky I paid by credit card). I would be happy if I knew what was wrong with the car. I don't want to keep booking it in and it doesn't resolve the issue don't have cash extra just now