That's the end of that then.

glrnet

I know but zuckerweasel aint daft. He'll have to play this one very carefully.

New Zealand at the moment matey. Headed to Taupo for a 29k trek over a volcano tomorrow :headhurt:

Think im in the worst shape ive been in for the last decade and I broke my ass on a luge yesterday! !

I think he needs a new thread with pictures!

What's app not necessarily a bad thing, wish I'd developed it and flogged it for a fraction of that!

The guy who did, was rejected for jobs at both Twatter and Facecrack in 2009, bet they wish they hadn't done that now :lol:

Here's a report on it.

The social media giant Facebook has bought the messaging app WhatsApp in a deal worth 19 billion dollars. WhatsApp has over 450 million monthly users and is popular with those wishing to avoid text messaging charges. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has described WhatsApp’s services as incredibly valuable and says that the app has the potential to reach millions more users. The deal will be comprised of cash and shares.The WhatsApp founder,Jan Koum says that he plans to continue to operate the firm independently and autonomously.

Here's a report on it.

The social media giant Facebook has bought the messaging app WhatsApp in a deal worth 19 billion dollars. WhatsApp has over 450 million monthly users and is popular with those wishing to avoid text messaging charges. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has described WhatsApp’s services as incredibly valuable and says that the app has the potential to reach millions more users. The deal will be comprised of cash and shares.The WhatsApp founder,Jan Koum says that he plans to continue to operate the firm independently and autonomously.

see how long that last as the deal has made Jan Koum a member of the board of directors for Facebook

Interested to know how they're going to make $19billion from this app?

Profit is irrelevant but I must admit when I first heard this I thought a decimal point was missing and even then I struggled to understand how an app was worth 1.9bn considering I've never had to pay anything and it's ad free.... Where is ANY revenue coming from?!

Edited by Fodder

Profit is irrelevant but I must admit when I first heard this I thought a decimal point was missing and even then I struggled to understand how an app was worth 1.9bn considering I've never had to pay anything and it's ad free.... Where is ANY revenue coming from?!

It's not free, they were very clever. They had the app for free until it took hold and got really popular, now its free for the first year and then you have to pay for it. Its a bit like drugs, get people hooked, then start charging them. (I'm NOT a dealer!! :lol:) Supposedly they make a million EXTRA cash EACH day! I have no idea how they calculated the figures though :lol:

Edited by AliveBoy

Really?! I've used it from time to time for what feels like years and never paid a penny. I only installed as my OH insisted I did.

I only see it useful for picture messaging and "texting" family and friends over seas where my unlimited texts in my phone tariff doesn't apply but that's rare.

It just seems an absurd amount of money.. I think I'm getting old :lol:

You pay $1 for a year subscription, or so the BBC report. I don't use it myself, don't see the point really.

It's not free, they were very clever. They had the app for free until it took hold and got really popular, now its free for the first year and then you have to pay for it. Its a bit like drugs, get people hooked, then start charging them. (I'm NOT a dealer!! :lol:) Supposedly they make a million EXTRA cash EACH day! I have no idea how they calculated the figures though :lol:

See I read this a little while - They were charging people to buy the app, and if you already had the app you'd pay a year later.

But a short while after - I read that they scrapped that idea.

Either way Facecrap can make there own rules now I guess...irrelevant of what the previous cost was.

I'll try dig out the article.

Why the hate for FB? At least they're up front about their privacy measures, not so sure I can say the same for the WhatsApp lot.

I don't hate FB for what they are, just I hate FB for what it is :lol:

Came off it about 18months ago - Same crap everyday 'I'm currently eating, I just got out the bath, I'm going to cook dinner etc' Then everyone's checking it 24/7 - There is more to life that FB :lol:

And.....P!ss off Matt for what ever you are about to say :lol::starwars:

All this throwing around billions of fake money at software which has very little actual worth is going to end in disaster.

This was my initial thought too, another dot com bubble.

Maybe the value is not only down to the user base but the patents they own and their future worth?!

Wasn't Facebook rumoured to be developing a mobile device a year or so ago? This would fit in nicely with that plan.