Costs in the first month of ownership

ianboom

Thought I'd add this so somebody else thinking of buying a Zed can see how much it can potentially cost. I'm really fussy and generally use genuine parts, so some jobs were a bit OTT!

All work was carried out by myself (except the wife helped me bleed the clutch/brakes) on my drive with normal tools, a pair of low ramps and some axle stands.

Bought car '54 plate in blade silver £5400

Took it for an MOT on the way home £42

Repaired the clicking rear axle ebay £6.70 for grease

Trim clips for battery cover and undertray ebay £2.79

Genuine oil filter, sump plug washer, brake fluid 1 litre from a contact at a Renault dealer which now deals with Nissan too! £13.72 delivered

Motul eco-energy oil 5 litres from Opie £25.15 delivered

Genuine gearbox oil and drain plug washer £35.07 delivered

Brembo front pads ebay £30 delivered

Aux and a/c belt ebay £23.98 delivered

Stanless M6 screws and washers for undertray fixings ebay £5.59

Rivnuts to repair undertray fixing ebay £1.99

Tyres front ZE914 2off from tyreleader £198.18 delivered

Tyre fitting etc £35.00

Front wheel tracking £22.50

Total, approx £450 plus I've just taxed it for £280 so £730!!

Take the MOT, tax and tyres off (inc fitting) and that's £150, I haven't fitted the pads yet so £120 to give the car a major service-not bad. The plugs need doing in 8 months and I may replace the diff oil and coolant.

Ian.

• Like 1

Washed the car once since i bought it, polished half of it with a bit of auto glym and then had a beer. I'm not much of a detailer!

I work for Tesco as a maintenance engineer and have to park on the customer car park (which is why i didn't buy a mint car) and found if my car's dirty, nobody parks near it lol!

In comparison, my wife's Clio 197 does 29mpg on super compared to the zed's 21mpg (both around town). Servicing parts are very similar, tax is £260, conti 5 tyres £126 a corner fitted.

Ian.

• Like 1

53 plate 350GT : £7,800

Service & coolant change : £350

Parts identified during service required : £450

Labour to fit parts £250

Tax : £280

Insurance : £710

Total after 2 months : £7.8k for the car, £2,040 to get it all in order

....... Projecting a further couple hundred when the MOT is due in April, and then another £1,000 for the year once the zeditis takes it's hold in my brain, already have plans for £350 of that budget.

I used to complain when a service on my old hyundai cost me over £150...... now nothing phases me, anything less than 4 figures is a bargain I have realized!

Edited by ostego
  • Like 1

This is going to be scary.... Within the first few months...

04 plate 350Z - £5,900

Insurance - £700

4 kumho ku39 tyres - £550

Break pads all round + fitting - £200

Side light cover - £29

Exedy clutch and fly plus fitting - £950

Tax - £150

Fuel (estimate) - £1000

thats over three and a half grand!!!

brb off to buy a corsa :surrender:

The idea was to show how cheaply they can be maintained!

Ostego, you not got any mechanically minded friends? I don't want to upset any zed indies, but servicing the zed is easier than my wife's Clio 197!

My insurance is due in two weeks, £255, my old Clio 200 was £80 more.

Ian.

The idea was to show how cheaply they can be maintained!

Ostego, you not got any mechanically minded friends? I don't want to upset any zed indies, but servicing the zed is easier than my wife's Clio 197!

My insurance is due in two weeks, £255, my old Clio 200 was £80 more.

Ian.

Whilst servicing is easy on the zed, I found the biggest costs were things like new set of tyres (nearly £700), brake pads (£250 - me fitting them myself), and insurance (£900+ for a 40+ year old with 20 years ncb). Servicing parts came to something like £60 which if i did myself saved me about £80 over what the dealer wanted in labour for the service, so servicing was probably the smallest outlay for me.

Outside of those bits and £450 of fuel every month, the biggest cost by far for me was depreciation of £5k per year.

Still, best thing I found to do was to work it all out on a month-by-month spreadsheet so you dont end up with any hidden costs.

nada for first year - new tyres/disk/pads all round on purchase...

...then BAM - £800 - tyres all round

other then that quite pleased - just the tax/insurance/fuel, disks/pads still meaty and no mot advisories

minimal maintanance, reliable jap muscle car - lovin it

LOT better exp than previous car....