Driving in Europe, what do we need?

:RedZed:

Myself, fxn and Lewish are off to Europe in May, whilst the route isn't set yet we'll be driving in France, Belgium and Germany. I'm compiling a list of @*!# we need to take and do before we go and I'm wondering if I have missed anything?

The list so far:

One reflective jacket in the vehicle

Warning Triangle

First Aid Kit

Fire Extinguisher

Spare bulb kit

Breathalizer

GB stickers (or badge on number plate)

Headlight modifiers (any recommendations for these?)

Driving licence (both bits)

V5

Insurance certificate

Passport

We'll also need to check that tyre depths are more than 1.6mm although more than 3mm is recommended.

Other than the above, the obvious car checks will be done such as fluids, tyre pressures and oil levels.

I've ridden bikes in Europe before and not had much of the stuff listed above but not having driven a car (and being in three zeds potentially drawing more attention) we want to be totally legal.

Thanks in advance!

Is it a single high viz vest or is it one per passenger? It's supposed to be at hand as well, not in the boot or some such.

Used these headlamp deflectors recently, seemed ok on a 308, not tried on a 350. I'd suspect it's more about having them than them actually being any good! :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001P5SPJW/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

Checklist here: http://shop.theaa.com/content/driving-in-europe

PS - my advice does not come with any legal guarantee :lol:

Edited by SuperStu

The headlight deflectors were a little tricky to fit as there are no guides or marks to help fit them on zed headlamps. But easy enough :)

I think....THINK...France dropped the new regulation for cars to carry breathalysers. So they are no longer needed. Maybe dig into this some more as you might be able to save yourself a few quid.

I used my halfords breathalysers after a big night out, no intention of driving just wanted to see how far gone I was, rubbish. Couldn't tell the difference between "safe enough" and "put your keys down".

Thinking back, it could have been I was too pi55ed to use it properly, but they don't write that on the box!!!

• Like 1

Your lids...

Good to take two copies of all your documents and licence, keep one copy somewhere other than where the originals are kept and one set with someone at home as worse case scenario they can be faxed or E'd over if need be...

I was beaten to the money bit, but serious, Euros for fines... Ah the memories... ....... "Zere izz no fine big enough, you ave to go to court"

• Like 1

Halfords do a kit with everything you need apart from the bulb kits as they're specific to each car. Didn't think a fire extinguisher was a requirement though? At least not for the countries I went to.

Great, I see the AA do one but I did think the bulb kit would be useless. Is there such a thing as a spare bulb kit for the 350? I've never had a car with HIDs before.

I don't suppose you are going to the Nurburgring are you??

Might be...:)

I've done some more research, the French did drop the requirement for the breathalyzer and the fire extinguisher is only required in Belgium if the car is registered there.

Your lids...

Good to take two copies of all your documents and licence, keep one copy somewhere other than where the originals are kept and one set with someone at home as worse case scenario they can be faxed or E'd over if need be...

Good thinking...by lids do you mean helmets??

Yea... Its the first thing on the packing list, even when we had the TF and the lids took up a quarter of the space... When were making all that effort to go to the continent it would be a waste not to plan in at least a lap or two... Even after all this timeTuc still tries to pack like its a fortnight on the QE2...

Great, I see the AA do one but I did think the bulb kit would be useless. Is there such a thing as a spare bulb kit for the 350? I've never had a car with HIDs before.

Nissan do one (I had one for mine), may not include the HID bulb but if stopped by some petty minded gendarme doing a random check it's certainly going to mass their muster ;)

• Like 1

Got all my stuff here, don't pay Halfrauds or AA prices. Headlamp reflector adhesive comes off with hot water, cloth and some rubbing. One Hi Vis per person and must be in the car, not in the boot/load space. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADLAMP-BEAM-DEFLECTORS-BENDERS-EURO-CONVERTORS-HEAD-LIGHT-LAMP-GB-MAGNETIC-NEW-/251238576474?pt=UK_TravelTickets_Accessories_RL&var=&hash=item3a7efc715a

Brethalyser info:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/9880120/France-breathalyser-fine-dropped.html

Halfords do a kit with everything you need apart from the bulb kits as they're specific to each car. Didn't think a fire extinguisher was a requirement though? At least not for the countries I went to.

I don't suppose you are going to the Nurburgring are you??

Might be...:)

I've done some more research, the French did drop the requirement for the breathalyzer and the fire extinguisher is only required in Belgium if the car is registered there.

Sweet! What dates are you going? I'll be there from 1st-5th of May :)