Why I hate buying cars

flyboy

Went to see an "immaculate" red 370z at junction 17 cars today.

100 mile round trip.

Looks good from a distance when parking up.

Minor scratches and blemishes on tailgate -- Ok so one man's immaculate is not always the same as yours.

Walked around the car and there is a huge dent on the drivers door.

Not a carpark ding but a F***ing great dent - a foot long crease 2" deep.

And the response from the sales girl "well its just in and hasnt been prepped yet"

Well they managed to prep the photos on the web site -- bit of expert photoshop and its gone! Just like that.

This is just the first of many wasted journeys that I will be on over the next few months. GRRRRRRRRR

When I was looking for a 350z I made the journey to these jokers, cars were all marked damaged etc. Wouldn't allow test drives until I had agreed a purchase. I visited the Peterborough showroom so might be different at there other site. Unless you are prepared for disappointment I would advise others not to visit. I looked at 14 cars private and dealers and this company were easily the worst before buying. Recently I have searched and found a 370 but never considered driving the 35 miles to see the 4 cars they had for sale.

Wow thats bad, shocking that they thought they could get away with it!

Agree with you on buying cars, it can be very frustrating at times. Went to look at around 7 or 8 Evo's before buying one, all over the country, so much time & traveling wasted, was worth it in the end though.

With my 370 (Purchased from Ashtons, a second hand dealer) I requested pictures of practically everything, a walk around video, photocopy of all paperwork & history. The guy I delt with was superb, honest and up front with everything, making my 4 hour train journey a worthwhile one (still bought return tickets, just in case!)

Did you put a deposit down before going to view the car by the way?

Hope you find the car your searching for!

Wow thats bad, shocking that they thought they could get away with it!

Agree with you on buying cars, it can be very frustrating at times. Went to look at around 7 or 8 Evo's before buying one, all over the country, so much time & traveling wasted, was worth it in the end though.

With my 370 (Purchased from Ashtons, a second hand dealer) I requested pictures of practically everything, a walk around video, photocopy of all paperwork & history. The guy I delt with was superb, honest and up front with everything, making my 4 hour train journey a worthwhile one (still bought return tickets, just in case!)

Did you put a deposit down before going to view the car by the way?

Hope you find the car your searching for!

No, no deposit but I did talk to the boss before travelling and he said it was a great car.

Didn't mention the photo shopped pics though.

Edited by flyboy

I travelled 160 mile round trip to see a "mint condition" motorbike a few years back. When I got there it was brush painted and in bits !

Some sellers think that if they just get you there you will buy anything to save a wasted journey

I think the days of prepping ready for sale beforehand are gone.

Lots of these traders only want ot do the work after a sale is confirmed. Guess this gives them options of money off if people buy as is.

Most `enthusiats` are dissapointed with this approach and would rather see the car as good as it can be at the point of sale.

Just have to keep looking for a decent one.

Edited by gsexr

I guess I was lucky with mine, I kept an eye on it in autotrader for months as it was overpriced, dropped by 5k so I gave them a bell on a Monday or Tuesday. Salesman said you are the first to call, he gave me a brief description which was immaculate and said I could have the first test drive, no commitment needed but I had first dibs.

Turned up on the Saturday after a 2 hour drive and there she was, immaculate as he had described. Nice test drive and a thorough going over and she was mine. I guess I was lucky and the salesmen trusted clients and knew how to deal with customers.

Hope you find a gem too.

Surely to god that's not legal? They are actually trying to sell something not as advertised.

+1 Trade descriptions act or something similiar surely. Problem is mud sticks and all the dealers etc get a bad name.

Surprised they didnt ask for a deposit! First 370 I asked about, phoned up and wanted to arrange a test drive (different one, more local) they wanted £500 off me just for that, only 2 days before wanting to view it too!

Maybe they were abnormally 'pushy'..

Yup I've experienced this several times - now if a dealer asks for a deposit I tell them they just lost a potential sale :shrug: