Car Detailing Geek here -- Your favourite Tire Shine ?

Chromatic

TLDR Below if you want to skip the "history" :)

Hey guys, ladies..I'm also a Car detailing fanatic.. Goes hand in hand with my new 350Z addiction. :)First a brief history..Got into "true" Car detailing with my previous car.. (wasn't nearly as beautiful as this one).. Learned all the in's and out's of Washing with proper "soap (if you want to call it that)",.. using proper "tools" to wash it without swirling/scratching.. Using microfiber, etc to Dry. Then into the Clay barring.. (This to me is the absolute BEST thing everyone should learn about imho).. Then got into machine polishing.. Use a Dual Action and Rotary.. And boned up on the various wax products, layering them (if you want X protection/look) or just using one.. ie: Synthetic NXT 2.0 with a Carnauba Wax topper (a few days/weeks) after the synthetic bonding agent.. and what products to use on plastic, leather, interiors etc that don't damage.. and on goes the list.

First thing I did with this 2008 350Z with 26k miles I met the guy to look at.. was run my fingers across the paint. It looked great .. but the second I touched the paint.. I knew it hadn't been cared for properly. The luck for me is it had so few miles so the paint was/is in good condition.. solid thick clearcoat.. etc (The guy must have not ever waxed it.. ) So it wasn't any sort of deal breaker, I just knew I had my work cut out for me to get the paint up to speed to the car. Bought the car obviously.. and first weekend (which was the next day).. I washed it.. Then got a new claybar kit with two claybars.. This was the worst car I had personally owned -- It felt the like the embedded particles you know are IN your paint but can't so much feel them.. Well this car actually felt like you imagine it when you are claying. -- That translated into a 3+ hours clay bar job.. Used nearly the whole bottle of lubricant, and both bars on it. But when I was done.. oh man,.. smooth as a baby's butt.

What a feeling of satisfaction. (For sake of brevity.. I proceeded to spend the rest of Sat and Sunday going through the Wash/Clay/Polish with X polish, then Y polish, then Z finishing polish../Wax with X wax.. Then do a once over on the interior.. I still have a bit more interior work to do.. but to everyone else the interior is immaculate,. but clean and "detailed" are two different words to people like us.

TL;DR -- Start reading here for actual Question ;) *Well.. I'm curious what products do you guys like for that "wet look" tire shine.I know people vary in what they like their tires to appear like.. Some like a more matte finish, some like a tire that looks literally WET.. as shiny as you can make it (ie: Armour All isn't enough.. ).I tend to fall into the latter category.. I like the "as wet as you can make it look".. and a product that lasts.

I used to have some stuff that lasted me half a decade that my brother brought home from a detailing car place he used to work at (over a decade ago).. That stuff was perfect.. no name, in a clear jug and have no clue what it was.I've yet to find a product that produces that kind of shine.

Coincidentally there is this "Goo-Goo Car wash chain" around here that you pay $10-$14 and there are people who guide you in to the machine (you put your car into neutral and the wash brings your car along tracks through it) -- It does a really decent job (but I won't use it because I just won't use any wash like that due to swirl marks.. and it just doesn't do the job I do..). BUT, I mention it only because it has a "Tire shine" part of it.. where these two wheel scrubbers come out and says applying Tire shine. When you get out your tires look like the look I'm after, and it lasts forever! I asked what it was, but they either didn't know (their words) or it's proprietary to their wash.. shrug.I'm in the states,.. but for this stuff ordering anywhere is worth it to me..

The good stuff lasts a long time (week-2 weeks ) between reapplication and the key is the degree of shine/wetlook.So any names/products out there you either use that does this? Or.. perhaps you know does this but you personally don't like your tires looking like that and don't use it. ;)Thanks

Edited by Chromatic

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one but for tyre shine I really can't be bothered spending big bucks at all. I just use cheap Supermarket stuff from Asda's (Walmart) that's only around £1.50 for a 500ml spray can.

The shine doesn't last all that long but at that price I can afford to reapply it as often as needed. ;)

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one but for tyre shine I really can't be bothered spending big bucks at all. I just use cheap Supermarket stuff from Asda's (Walmart) that's only around £1.50 for a 500ml spray can.

The shine doesn't last all that long but at that price I can afford to reapply it as often as needed. ;)

And that's 100% awesome! I almost wish I didn't care about the way my car looked (detailed) and even the way the paint felt, how it's protected,.. etc etc to the degree I do. Because it's a full time job really.. After a day, I use the California Duster if it was a good day (no rain, etc) .. to "maintain" the polish/wax of the car.. (Really is a safe, and great tool to have if you use it somewhat regularly as it helps keep you from having to do a full on wash/wax etc longer..):

If curious:

62443-final.jpg

http://www.autogeek.net/caldus.html?productid=caldus&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CO-tvseav7wCFYNQ7AodTlIA1Q

I don't need or WANT something stupid expensive.. It's not that a product that creates the wet look/shine I want has to be some "high end" product at all.. it's just finding it is all.. Nothing in the shops do it like I know it can be done as I described with the other chemicals that have been applied before that I have no idea what they are.! :unsure:

You aren't in the minority lol.. The *majority* don't wash their cars.. and when they do they run it through an auto wash and maybe occasionally go to a "detail" centre that does a halfway job for $20-$50.

:lol: You've got me all wrong Chromatic. :wacko:

I don't spend money on tyre shine but detailing I'm into big time thanks to some of the members on here (ilogikal1, downhuman & EvoStu just to name a few).

I wash my car every week (jet wash, snow foam, jet wash, Megs Gold shampoo ~ two bucket method, jet wash, dry towel) and wax it every two weeks. Then I do a full Megs three stage detail every month or so. It's always hoovered to within an inch of it's life and my car is spotless as my friends will testify. B)

Just don't see the point in spending big on something just to make the tyres shine as my Supermarket silicone type spray does the job and it's cheap enough to apply every day if I like. ;)

I've always used car plan tyre shine in the yellow spray can but the other week I bought some alloy magic tyre shine in a grey spray can and I have to say its very good and at £5 a can you cant go wrong even after a few weeks tyres still look good. Well worth a go for the money and only take a couple of minutes to apply.

detailing I'm into big time thanks to some of the members on here (ilogikal1, downhuman & EvoStu just to name a few).

Don't blame me, it's all Downhuman's fault. All of it. ;):lol:

To the OP; Megs Endurance (not sure why no one's mentioned it yet... :p ), Blackfire Total Eclipse, Autosmart High Style Swissvax Pneu Glossy (there's two varieties of Pneu, so make sure you get the Glossy one) all give a wet look outright. There are others like Dr Beasley's or EcoTouch amongst others which get glossier when layered too.

It's worth noting that some tyres are more receptive to dressings than others - certain tyre brands seem to absorb dressings more than others so it doesn't really matter what you use it's never going to look really glossy.

Edited by ilogikal1

detailing I'm into big time thanks to some of the members on here (ilogikal1, downhuman & EvoStu just to name a few).

^^ :lol:

Because of you last time I washed my car I ended up doing half with one product & half with another just to see the difference. :surrender:

Now tell me that's not your fault. :lol:;)

Meg's if I can be bothered, as it takes a wile to put on, but smells awesome, if I'm feeling lazy I use auto glym instant tyre shine.

Use Meg's tyre gel applicator, does not take long at all to do the tyres. Only really used Meg's as it has always done me proud. I must try some more products :)

Edited by Humpy

I use a VP Detailing Brush to apply any tyre dressing and I find it doesn't take any longer to apply to Megs (or any other gel type product) doing it this way. And there's no mess at all either.

Because of you last time I washed my car I ended up doing half with one product & half with another just to see the difference. :surrender:

Ah, but I only started doing that myself because of the vast array of Waxybox samples I have accrued.

Downhuman introduced me to Waxybox, so technically... :lol:

I use a VP Detailing Brush to apply any tyre dressing and I find it doesn't take any longer to apply to Megs (or any other gel type product) doing it this way. And there's no mess at all either.

Ah, but I only started doing that myself because of the vast array of Waxybox samples I have accrued.

Downhuman introduced me to Waxybox, so technically... :lol:

Definitely his fault then by that logic. :lol::D

I ALMOST got the Endurance.. but was overwhelmed with the choices at Autozone.. They had three rows.. You had the sprays, then the foams, then the gels, then the "Black" from every company (For like $14-$20) and the Black versions were to last 1+ months per application and were an aerosol spray .. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money.

So I saw the Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel w/ Applicator, For $7.95 -- and said, hrmm.. Seems a reasonable one to try for the money.

This one:

armor-all-extreme-tire-shine-with-gel-control-applicator-532-ml.jpg

I'll def. take before and after pics just for reference for you guys.. I think it'l do the job really.. I wanted to get the NXT Ultimate spray but I could tell the sprays were the short lived/duration products.. the foams were about the same .. the gels were second longest duration and then those Black aerosol cans that were crazy expensive were the longest duration (it's basically like spray painting an adhesive to your tire.. can't be good for it.)

Why do you guys spell Tire, Tyre? I understand Colour, Armour, Favourite, and so on.. but Tyre? Do you see our "Tire" and think.. that looks funny? :D

Edited by Chromatic

Why do you guys spell Tire, Tyre? I understand Colour, Armour, Favourite, and so on.. but Tyre? Do you see our "Tire" and think.. that looks funny? :D

Funny? No. Just wrong. ;)

:p

and we spelt it first, so..............it's irrelevant what those over the pond think :p

I'm just messing with you guys on the spelling differences. I think I'm outnumbered anyways. ;)

The weather is about to get nasty here.. so haven't applied anything just yet.. I also picked up some Duplicolor 3 N 1 Touch up paint for my 350's paint code. $15 for the Pen,.. but it has Primer, Paint, and Clearcoat somehow all in the new packaging.. One of those is sort of a lifetime of the car thing.. the front bumper of this car is particularly weak when it comes to chipping.. from rocks I'm sure. Nothing major with the car, but with the touchup I'll have to prep the areas.. will have to figure out how I plan on doing that as I keep it with fresh wax to keep my claying and polishing protected. I'll probably Clay the areas I'm going to touchup.. Do the touchup.. let it dry for as long as I can without driving it, then based on what I read figure out if I can put some protectant over it, or if I should leave it exposed to let it "cure" more. It's just some micro chips here and there that most people wouldn't bother with.

Also have a tiny bit of curb rash on two rims.. very very tiny.. maybe 1-2mm by 5-6mm or so and I have the '08 Factory 18" wheels which no one knows the paint to match it.. so I grabbed some GM paint code I read on the forums. Not sure how I should prep the bit of curb rash on the wheels either, except just cleaning them.. Where they have been rubbed it's actually black.. Which makes me think it's exposed the black first under layer of paint these wheels actually were painted. I believe these wheels are painted black then a silver over top to give them their color?

Speaking on wheels.. my front wheels have these stains in them.. almost like brake dust that never got cleaned off that's embedded in them... I need to take some close up pics of them to see if you guys have any special tips -- but the way they feel, it's not something I can get "off/out".. I can't imagine they are worn down paint wise in those areas.. So not too sure what's going on. (It's just the 2 front wheels.. which makes me tend to think Brake dust more..)

Well, brought up about 3 topics in one there :D

Soon I'll put some Pictures up of what this Armor all Extreme Tire/Tyre Gel looks like.. and try to get some shots of those front wheels, maybe even the curb rash on the two right wheels to get everyone's opinions on the minor cosmetics of the wheels to see if any improvement can be made, or if that's just the way they will remain type of thing.

Ok, wasn't easy to get a clear enough picture of the front wheel(s) to show the blemishes/stains I'm talking about.. the shots kept looking like perfect unblemished wheels.. Then I switched to another Camera and went at an angle on this overcast day and it picked it up fairly well.

12438842254_5ce49a1888.jpg

See towards the center of the wheel.. on the "spokes" as they go in? That isn't something you can wipe off.. it's ON there.. and I think IN it. I've cleaned the wheels, polished them, and waxed them (hey they are painted surfaces why not ? ;) )..

No, I haven't put the Tire shine on yet.. as is obvious in the photo (if it shows the tire, probably does).

But what is that? It's on the front two wheels, and not the rear two.

Any thoughts on it? Is it even possible to try to make it better , "get it out",.. or is that there forever?

Oh.. and the car looks good lol.. but there are blemishes like that you see in that picture.. but it looks like this essentially:

11415440674_bf7da1019e.jpg

I really need to wash it and throw another coat of wax and tire shine on and get some better pictures (Be nice to have something besides this Iphone 4 to take pics with ) :)