The gearbox issue.

AJRFulton

It is only a ball ache if you make it so.

Spend hours on the phone, getting frustrated trying to sort Macklins out or make a 2 minute phone call to Nobles, your call.!!!

Nobles may even recover for you or perhaps you have some form of breakdown cover, have you thought of that ? ;)

That is the best advice that I can give you: :shrug:

Alex. :)

• Like 1

2hrs of on the phone whinging about it later... and a courtesy car has miraculously been made available.

Macklins Glasgow Nissan poor performance today. However the group head office in Newcastle and Nissan Customer service were both excellent. Although it shouldn't of needed to come to me having to whinge about it to them!

However happy enough with the result.

Edited by AJRFulton

No doubt, I may move over to Nobles as the guy I dealt with at Macklins has left the dealership, and the guys that knew Sam would know he was a good point of contact.

However, it was just too much hassle today and I really don't have the time this weekend to put it right. I was already halfway down the process with Macklins.

Edited by AJRFulton

and.... I still can't get a courtesy car as I need to present the originals of my driving licence.... which are in Wales, I'm in Scotland with the only key to my flat.

I have a copy of my licence, but they won't accept that.

Every ****ing avenue is a blocker

Guys I wish I had not read this post - but then again!

I am looking to get a 370 as my next car soon as I have found a suitable one and got a few bits sorted on my Pathfinder as a part - ex! I am in the same boat as you - work many miles away from home and rack up the miles, the Zed would be taking the brunt of it - I look after them but expect them to go forever without incident like my 350 used to?

They are not cheap to run but if its duff build quality then its putting me off! :surrender:

I've been driving mine as a daily for 2 years now and no issues

Excellent so there is hope!

This will be my last sports car though and this time its staying as long as I can keep it so dont want it spoilt by duff build and cost issues...

Oh well get my Ditchfinder ready for sale then I can worry about a 370.

I am looking to get a 370 as my next car soon as I have found a suitable one and got a few bits sorted on my Pathfinder as a part - ex! I am in the same boat as you - work many miles away from home and rack up the miles, the Zed would be taking the brunt of it - I look after them but expect them to go forever without incident like my 350 used to?

They are not cheap to run but if its duff build quality then its putting me off! :surrender:

I think my issue is the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1

1-2weeks for a gearbox change what is going on its a 3hr job MAX!

The tech explained it to me.

The gear box needs taken out and stripped down. Photos need taken, and sent to Nissan to investigate. Nissan then talk about it and approve the repair and authorise. The part is delivered and fitted, and the car tested.

The tech said ''big'' repairs like this can take 2-3wks easily, just with the waiting around for authorisation and parts. The actual removal and fitting takes a few hours.

The tech also advised this might be a £7k or £8k repair, so Nissan will investigate it.

Edited by AJRFulton

I know they're half the price new and in a different league, but look at the reliability of a Renault Clio Rs200.

Mine was just over 2 years old and needed a new box-this seems to affect about 15% of cars. The 'leather' peeled of the steering wheel

and the cloth material on the recaros wore through. Steering rack failure is very common too.

My wife has a Clio 197 that we bought at 4 years old, it's had new bottom ball joints-£400, handbrke cable, inner track rods, wheel bearings etc

Still, on a £35k car i'd expect them to be tripping over themselves to help you, especially as they may get repeat business. Good luck!

Car went in on Saturday. It's been stripped, and the repair authorised. Just waiting on the part, so prob another 7-10 days until ready.

I would urge anyone that feels like they have a particularly clunky gear to get it looked at whilst the cars under warranty. It will be expensive!

Mine started off feeling heavy, which with car being fairly new just put down to it bedding in. Then progressed into missing gear changes, which I put down to me being too quick with the clutch.... It gradually became obvious the problem was the gear box. It became very noticable on a trip to the continent going down the Autobahn, when I was flicking between 5 and 6 at 120-130 mph. Higher engine speed, and crunch, crunch, crunch with every gear change. Eventually became hard to engage 6th under any engine load above 4k revs.

• Like 1

I also had a 313 '08 in nightblue, 16k and a new box was requested at West's Nissan of King's Lynn. "New box sir? Yes I think you're right, let me find one and we'll book it in for you. Courtesy car you say? OK no problem" So not all Nissan dealers are the same :D

The above service led me to purchase a 370 from the same dealer, and after much debate I settled for an auto...love it! Has anyone heard of any 370's autos experiencing gearbox problems? This is my only drive, daily commute etc, etc and gets a hard time all the time.

I realise this doesn't help the OP in any way, but don't be put off :) .

Yeah, honestly its a terrible car. For a mid range manufacturer, Vauxhall made some utter dross in the 00's. Even the VXR's are pretty uninspiring.

Only thing I like about it is having a usable boot again!!

Edited by AJRFulton

With that semi autobox it definitely is.

Had a near miss with an understeer skid on it going round a slow corner and it just changed into 2nd at the worst time and spun the front wheels on a wet road nearly into a wall.

Gearbox is awful in automode. Doesn't change when you need it too.

Good you getting it sorted now. Are you sorting it at macklins in darnley? They are a high performance centre and around the corner from me!

I'm picking up a car on Friday from South Wales so if would love to be able to meet you before then and seen what a gearbox should feel like. It's a 2009 plate I'm going for and I don't want to walk away with a car which requires a gearbox change!