The gearbox issue.

AJRFulton

My car is changing cleanly in every gear except 6th.

- Under hard acceleration this crunches every time.

- Under acceleration it crunches most of the time.

- Regular gear changes it crunches around half the time.

- With slow/careful gear changes, it crunches some of the time.

Going to be another 2wks before I am even close to a Nissan dealership (working 13 12hr shifts in North/Mid Wales), but something is definitely amiss with the car. This started when I was in Switzerland so already done 1600mls in the car with problem and it's getting worse.

Has anyone experienced similar, so I know how to handle this when I get to the dealership?

Edited by AJRFulton

That's what I did :thumbs:

But use a HPC dealer who knows what they are dealing with. Chances are Nissan will say to the dealer a rebuild* but as Zmanalex says, under warranty you should insist on a new box and that is where you need to have the service manager on board to support you.

(*Edit: that was from my experience)

Booked in for next weekend at Macklins in Glasgow. Going to take the technician out a run.

I've been googling the issue and it seems my symptoms are pretty much an exact match with a synchro problem that has been reported several times on other forums. It looks like it will be a new gearbox if it is this.

I have been pretty disappointed in the Z's build quality if I am honest. For a car that I bought new, it's been one minor thing after another, building up to this, which I think is going to be fairly major. Unfortunately I don't think I'd buy a new Nissan again, much as I really love the Z.

A pain in the arse as I'm 3wks in Wales, 3 days in Scotland. I'm not within 2hrs of a HPC where I am. If the car goes in to get fixed, will they give me a courtesy car for 3wks?

Edited by AJRFulton

I have only heard of a few synchro issues and they are not too wide spread because of limited mileage. I have never had issues with any of the 370z's I've driven but I was told that Nissan knew there was a weak synchro issue with the boxes way back in late 2009 and I have shelved a spare box for my car just in case. Keep us updated :thumbs:

I've did 19,000 miles in a year. I make a lot of changes 5th to 6th gear as I'm up and down from Scotland to Wales a lot. 80% of my milage is low revs sitting at 70mph on the motorway.

I'm probably in a minority as a Z owner in the way I use the car, but then I am using it in the GT sense :)

Edited by AJRFulton

I've did 19,000 miles in a year. I make a lot of changes 5th to 6th gear as I'm up and down from Scotland to Wales a lot. 80% of my milage is low revs sitting at 70mph on the motorway.

I'm probably in a minority as a Z owner in the way I use the car, but then I am using it in the GT sense :)

I don't think the failure is in any way related to the way you have been using your gearbox. It is just pot luck that you have a gearbox with a defective part I'm afraid. I hope they give you a decent courtesy car :thumbs:

Issue is getting worse and worse, cannot engage 6th at all now under acceleration at speed, need to let the revs drop before it'll go in. Still have a week and about 500mls to drive until I get the first chance to get it seen to.

I complained about a whine and clunk coming from the gearbox about 5mths back, and was told the car was fine by the Nissan HPC tech.

Edited by AJRFulton

18k on the clock.

14k of that motorway cruising

thats not good ! with a worn synchro I would expect swarf to be floating around in the gear oil damaging the other gears/parts, that is why I would demand a new unit and it should not be showing any signs of wear at that mileage regardless of how it was driven within normal use

Hope you get this sorted, I dont see how they have a defence, it's hardly "normal" wear tear !! :surrender:

Nissan are doing their best to lose a customer.

Had a technician (who was great) check my car today, confirmed it's in all likelihood the synchro that has gone, and it will be a replacement gearbox. Estimated time off the road 1-2wks, maybe longer, as he was honest enough to admit to me that it isn't a simple process.

And this is where my problems start.

I work 12hr shifts in Wales and work 11 days on 3 days off. I live near Glasgow, and the Z is my daily car. My nearest HPC down there is maybe 2.5hrs away in Manchester. My nearest regular Nissan dealership isn't exactly local either, and I'm not keen on getting quite a major repair done by mechanics who will probably of never worked on a 370Z before, so I want it fixed in a HPC. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable there.

Bear in mind when I bought this car, new, the GT Edition was the very top spec 370Z Nissan made. Given that it was a £35k car (although I did get a big discount), I'd like to think I was a pretty valued customer. I'm not in buying a second hand Micra at £3k, I've made a fairly significant investment in a brand new Nissan.

They won't give me a courtesy car.

Reason given - I do too many miles (I'll exceed their lease agreement) and will have it away for too long. When pressed, they told me I should hire a car, and pay it out my own pocket. Now to hire an equivalent to a 370Z, for maybe upto a month, how much is that going to cost, £1500 maybe? Even hiring a cheaper car, but one that is realistic to be travelling 350ml trips (ie not a i10, Aygo, etc), we're still going to be talking £500-£600 for the worst case scenario and the cars away for up to a month.

I have no car, and I am an unhappy customer.

Edited by AJRFulton

You can try Nissan customer services, however I think that may just refer you back to the repairing garage.

You may have to be a bit more assertive with Macklins, however in the past I have found them to be a bunch ot tossers.

Move the car to Nobles in Edinburgh and they will look after you, and if you require an introduction to the dealer principle then just let me know.

Alex. :)

You shouldn't have told them how many miles you were going to do..! I agree its not the way to treat a valued customer.

sound like you should tell them to expect some seriously bad publicity from this.. :scare:

They don't sell a lot of 370Z's. They know my situation with work as they remember me as a customer as I'm quite unique in the milage I do.

They don't get many 25k mile a year customers buying a Z. Unfortunately I am remembered as my work hours probably cause them a bit of a pain in the arse. :(

Edited by AJRFulton

Nobles is 2hrs away though. It's not exactly convenient for me. I can't really do much just now, is it even open on Saturday?

Peeps travel 6 - 8 hours to get to Nobles and they do not consider it an inconvience considering the service you get.

They are only a phone call away so get your finger out and make the effort.

• Like 2

Nobles is 2hrs away though. It's not exactly convenient for me. I can't really do much just now, is it even open on Saturday?

Peeps travel 6 - 8 hours to get to Nobles and they do not consider it an inconvience considering the service you get.

Agree, you have to make thing happen... :blush:

It's a lack of time on my part though. I've not been home in a month and have 101 things to do, I've already over budgeted my time on this. The whole thing is a ball ache being 40mins up the road.

Edited by AJRFulton