Anyone been to Rome?

LRF4N

One of my favourite places :thumbs:

Try Canova restaurant while your there it is unreal! I'm in Rome this summer for a friends wedding and I have already done the touristy stuff before but it's a great place just to walk around and chill. All the sights and attractions are amazing but guard your pockets and bags as there were loads of pick pockets around. We never had a bad meal when we were there but check the menu's as some places state frozen and not fresh pizzas etc, you should stay away from these places.

The Trevi fountain is a must see at night!

Edited by R35LEE

When you say you're staying near the chapel, do you mean the Vatican? Actually inside, or just somewhere near? Doesn't matter really, everything is within walking distance.

We were there this time last year for our belated mini-honeymoon, and I'll give you these tips:

1. Get used to walking. We were based off Piazza Del Popolo, and never felt the need to use any other transport at all. Even walking right down to the Colosseum wasn't an issue at all, and there's some amazing architecture on the way if you like that kind of thing (check out the law courts and the parliament buildings, stunning).

2. Don't f*ck around in the Vatican, they have zero sense of humour. We saw two Jap girls booted out for taking the traditional peace sign photos they love so much whilst in St Peter's.

3. Get to the Vatican museum early, and spend all day there. I found the Sistene Chapel really dull, but each to their own. Their collection of tombs and carvings from BC are incredible and you can touch them, if you dare. Astounding.

4. Eat the biggest breakfast you can, 'cos there ain't a whole lot to eat there! You think I'm joking, but unless you're on a huge budget the restaurants are mega bucks and not worth bothering with. We ate big in the morning, found a small pizzeria for lunch, then basically just ate the free bar snacks and got pi**ed in the evening.

5. Colosseum is not that impressive, but the nearby ancient Rome ruins are just indescribably superb. Worth a couple of days alone, and the history there is something else. HINT: Find a tour guide with a small group, then follow them around and eavesdrop for cheaps :teeth:

6. YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST GO VISIT the Keats - Shelley house. Located just by the Spanish Steps, it's a cracking little museum that no-one really knows about but again, the culture there is just wonderful.

7. www.romecabs.com is the place to book your transfers from, if you've not done so already. Excellent service, good pricing, and trustworthy as anything.

We love it there, and like Lee says I'd go back just to hang around and soak up the atmosphere. Wonderful city.

• Like 1

Yep spent a week there a couple of years ago. Lovely place, really enjoyed it.

As above, Trevi fountain is really nice. We did that vatican which i guess is a must see but it was more tiring than interesting. The Colosseum was good... surprisingly big and the tour was worthwhile.

Have fun!

Oh, and when you walk past one of the many random churches that are around, do go inside and take as many pics as you can. They're equally as good as anything in the Vatican, and all subtly different in design and meaning. I'm not religious at all, but there was a wonderful sense of awe around every church we bumbled into.

We love Rome, visited quite a few times and always enjoy just wandering around soaking up the atmosphere, but like Lee says be aware of your surroundings.

I thought the Vatican was a great experience, as was the Colosseum. The Trevi fountain is great during the day but just gorgeous at night. To be honest I've never been disappointed with anything in Rome!

Congrats on the anniversary and hope you have a wonderful time :cloud9:

We went last year. Was very hot. we stayed outside the ring road and got the shuttle bus into the centre. The hop on hop off buses are great and go near most main sites. We did the full circuit then started hopping. ++Top Tip++ Dont queue for tickets to the Colleseum - you can buy online and just head to the front of the queue - just make sure you can print your ticket - email confirmation wont work - as we found out. I found the prices OK not cheap but not as expensive as I thought. Lots of street vendors hassling you so be prepared.

You could head out toward the Circus Maximus (watch your bags, wallets and people asking for directions from parked cars!) and take a look at the Baths of Caracalla, quite impressive and a bit of an escape from the hustle-bustle if you fancy a couple of relaxed hours.

The Forum and Palatine hill by the colosseum is really good, plenty to just take in as you wander around. St Peters Basilica is worth a visit just to see the scale of the square and the opulence inside.

Without fail go and see the Pantheon, incredible building. Third largest unsupported concrete dome roof which has been there for 2000+ years. Then there's the Castel Sant Angelo which gives you a nice view over the city once you climb up inside it.

If you fancy something else a little bit out of Rome there's always Ostia, the old port of Rome. We didn't manage to get there last time but it supposed to be really interesting

Do not buy ice-cream from street vendors, they are well known for extortionate prices, often not until AFTER you have been served and started consuming. I'm talking of 40 euros each is not unheard of!!

The Parthenon is another +1 from me as are the ancient senate ruins around the Colosseum, which is OK for a quick look around. These, the Spanish Steps (for pix) and Trevi Fountain are all within reasonable walking distance of each other. :)

One place that is certainly on one of my places to visit for a city break. Hope you have a great time Lrf4n B)

Not wanting to hijack the thread or wanting to start a seperate thread for this but in March we are heading off to Venice for 4 days ( work ). Any tips or advice for those who have ventured here?

Staying at Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal which backs onto St Marks Square. All I have heard is dont buy anything in the square as it is a rip off and venture off down the back streets to eat etc.

Edited by Humpy

No worries mate hop onto the thread and il open it up for all of Italy :lol:

Venice was another place we looked at but settled for Rome

Is it easy enough to get by without being able to speak any Italian at all?

Also when I think of Italy I think of narrow cobbled streets with flats either side. The type you see in fiat and dolmio adverts lol. Is that what Rome is like?

Is it worth going to the coastal areas for the day?

Went to Rome for a few days last year and loved it. +1 on the Palatine. Stayed in the Trastevere area which was nice and busy at night. The Borghese gallery was interesting but you need to book in advance. Have a good one, I'm sure you'll love it.

We're planning to go to Venice this year.

We love Rome, visited quite a few times and always enjoy just wandering around soaking up the atmosphere, but like Lee says be aware of your surroundings.

I thought the Vatican was a great experience, as was the Colosseum. The Trevi fountain is great during the day but just gorgeous at night. To be honest I've never been disappointed with anything in Rome!

Congrats on the anniversary and hope you have a wonderful time :cloud9:

All very touristy, but that's what Rome is about. All fascinating to go and see. Especially considering they didn't have our modern machinery to build these amazing buildings back then.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Really looking forward to going away now- only got 2 months to wait :lol:

When I was younger the first I saw of Italy on TV was football italia on channel 4 so will take a wander round the Roma stadium as well

Humpy the only advice on Venice I can give you (never been) is the gondolas are not cheap lol