Best model year to buy?

clockwize

Hi,

As some of you know I'm thinking of getting a 350Z and my main question is what year do I buy?

I'm looking at spending about £7k so I think I have a little bit of choice, but for instance I just found out that 2005=£200 something tax 2006=£400 something tax...

So yeah, I was thinking 2006 (as its the latest revision right?) but now I'm thinking 2005!

Anything else I should be considering?

Cheers

Lots to consider to be honest but I would go pre 2005, yeah the Bhp is a bit less but the road tax is half and other than a different bonnet there isn't much difference inside is the same.

That aside try to get a GT model for your budget you should be able to get a 2004/2005GT with low to mid mileage. Once you get it you will be modding the hell out fit :)

Lots to consider to be honest but I would go pre 2005, yeah the Bhp is a bit less but the road tax is half and other than a different bonnet there isn't much difference inside is the same.

That aside try to get a GT model for your budget you should be able to get a 2004/2005GT with low to mid mileage. Once you get it you will be modding the hell out fit :)

Bonnet didn't change 'till 2007 ... Road tax went up 24th March 2006

BHP went up and Torque went down 2006 facelift

Edited by ATTAK Z

I prefer the humpy bonnet, LED rears, bi-xenons and the facelift interior, but I don't regret buying a 2004 for a second. You can always add the bits you like afterwards anyway. I bought the first one I drove (I know it's a bad approach, but I fell in love), try and get a test in as many as you can and see how you feel inside and when you put your foot down.

The extra tax works out about £20 a month, in the grand scheme of Zed, that's not that much.

Edit: Sorry! I read the title but missed the budget.

Edited by SuperStu

True... What year did the LED tail lights and that stuff come in? I'd probably replace any non-leds with leds, non-xenons with xenons (though I'd definitely get a GT, so thats always xenons?), so if you tally it up, I'll probably spend more on simple mods to get it more modern than I'd spend on tax in a year..

I'd probably go for a low millage over year, good strategy?

Led rears and BiXenon headlight are mid to late 2006 onwards. All UK cars have Xenons and it's 50-50 whether an import will.

At £7k budget you won't get an HR and maybe get a half decent 2006 facelift but you will have your pick of all 2003-2006 cars. It's really up to you how import the facelifts are.

• Like 1

True... What year did the LED tail lights and that stuff come in? I'd probably replace any non-leds with leds, non-xenons with xenons (though I'd definitely get a GT, so thats always xenons?), so if you tally it up, I'll probably spend more on simple mods to get it more modern than I'd spend on tax in a year..

I'd probably go for a low millage over year, good strategy?

LED rear lights were introduced when the facelift was released on April 1st 2006, all U.K cars prefacelift were fitted with xenons, facelift cars have bi-xenons. The rear led's are a 5 minute job to fit, cost around £300. Fitting Bi-Xenons means removing the bumper but they are plug and play. Cost, not too sure, I think at least £1,000 -£1,500.

Pete

All that really matters is that it's been looked after.

http://www.350z-uk.c...?showtopic=3856

That link is what I wanted.. Probably could have searched for that :wacko:

Led rears and BiXenon headlight are mid to late 2006 onwards. All UK cars have Xenons and it's 50-50 whether an import will.

At £7k budget you won't get an HR and maybe get a half decent 2006 facelift but you will have your pick of all 2003-2006 cars. It's really up to you how import the facelifts are.

Thanks for the info.. Whats an HR?

All that really matters is that it's been looked after.

http://www.350z-uk.c...?showtopic=3856

That link is what I wanted.. Probably could have searched for that :wacko:

Thanks for the info.. Whats an HR?

HR is the revised engine which was released in 2007. You can tell these by the bulge bonnet and dual intakes.

Tax on a post 2006 car is £490... I've just renewed.

If you could stretch for an HR I'd go there, but for the £7K Id find a well looked after DE pre-facelift. If you are going for the 2006 facelift, be aware that a lot of people have had oil issues and you apparently need to keep a good eye on the oil too. I nearly bought one but stumped up a bit more for an HR, was well worth it. Having a glance on Autotrader there's not much for that price under 50K miles, so a 55' that's been pampered is your best bet I think.

EDIT - Both are still nippy so wouldn't worry too much about power lol

Edited by AMT

Also I'm not exactly mechanically minded, I've done electrical mods to my BMW but I don't go near the engine so don't really know what condition a car is in when I view, other than its pretty or not :D

http://bit.ly/1hC5zwe what do people think of cat D?

I found that a wee while ago and posted it on here. I don't see anything wrong with it. If anything, it's too cheap for a Cat D 2008, which providing the repairs have been done well, is a bonus :D

Might be best to go pre 06 with the budget, but all depends on what you find out there. Just go drive some and see. You might test drive the Z and find out you hate it.... :surrender:

I wouldnt consider any cat d or simular but that's just me. I'm sure they are fine (most of the time) but never wanted that risk or trouble when trying to sell again.

I found my 2006 facelift for a fraction over your £7k, in great condition with fsh too. Was the only one I saw though. But keep your open as they are out there. You may need a stretch the budget a little, but less than £8k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk