What road to take next?

A9H-RX

Been humming and haring about parting with the zed TT for something else despite all paint work and remaps I've been doing to it over last few months.

I've always loved the skyline straight six and I love my zed. Has anyone in the UK done a RB26 conversion? I've been looking at kits from US to import here to bolt the RB26 straight in.. So something I may consider if I still have the zed in 2015..

Apparently it's not as good an engine as the VQ as it has oil issues aswell as cooling issues. However it is an epic engine, sounds brilliant and highly tuneable if you have the funds.apparently it takes a lot of upkeep aswell. It also looks awesome in the zed. I looked into it for a while but just seems like a lot of hassle for what you get back. That being said it will make your car totally unique in the UK. I love the idea of it and if you can afford it I say definitely go for it

Apparently it's not as good an engine as the VQ as it has oil issues aswell as cooling issues. However it is an epic engine, sounds brilliant and highly tuneable if you have the funds.apparently it takes a lot of upkeep aswell. It also looks awesome in the zed. I looked into it for a while but just seems like a lot of hassle for what you get back. That being said it will make your car totally unique in the UK. I love the idea of it and if you can afford it I say definitely go for it

Never heard of cooling issues? I do think it will be as reliable if not more reliable than a boosted VQ. Certainly a lot more tunable as I've pretty much hit my maximum without uprating everything again on mine to benefit an extra 100+ bhp.. Just converting to RB I can be looking at 450 - 500bhp as standard

I reckon I would make quite a bit back off the VQ TT lump I've got at the moment to benefit what's needed for the RB26.. I've estimated around 6k for everything I need from engine/trans, mounting kit to loom and custom prop. (not including labour and any custom fabrication obviously).

6K? not a chance :lol:

RBs are money pits, don't really suffer from cooling issues its more oil starvation that kills them.

Abbey would be the best ones to talk to, I wouldn't trust anyone else with an RB motor

Theres a company that bores out the oil ways I believe as that is the problem with them. I like the RB but if your going to do a straight 6 tt conversion then look no further than a 2JZ, a miles better engine out the box and tuned. Much more reliable and better sounding.

6K? not a chance :lol:

RBs are money pits, don't really suffer from cooling issues its more oil starvation that kills them.

Abbey would be the best ones to talk to, I wouldn't trust anyone else with an RB motor

I don't mean 6k as a whole, for essentials to get ball rolling.. You can get complete blocks with manifolds, turbos etc for 3.5k at most...

The 2JZ sounds miles better in my eyes, much more muscular sounding.

If you want a glorious engine sound then an NSX with titanium exhaust and carbon airbox fits the bill nicely

Never really looked into 2JZ as I'm personally not a fan of honda. Don't get me wrong, they make great motors but just never had interest in them.. Unless its on 2 wheels and has CBR written on the side of it.. :lol:

If you want a glorious engine sound then an NSX with titanium exhaust and carbon airbox fits the bill nicely

Never really looked into 2JZ as I'm personally not a fan of honda. Don't get me wrong, they make great motors but just never had interest in them.. Unless its on 2 wheels and has CBR written on the side of it.. :lol:

Isn't the 2JZ from the Supra?

Anyway, there a guy in the drift series here in NI with a R26 in his Zed, the car sounds awesome, but keeps bogging down at slower sections. With the money these guys pump into their cars, you'd think it would be fine, so it puts off a little. The 2JZ would be better IMO.

index_zpsc6bd067e.jpg

• Like 1

index_zpsc6bd067e.jpg

Toyota haha my bad :lol: :blush:

Never heard of cooling issues? I do think it will be as reliable if not more reliable than a boosted VQ. Certainly a lot more tunable as I've pretty much hit my maximum without uprating everything again on mine to benefit an extra 100+ bhp.. Just converting to RB I can be looking at 450 - 500bhp as standard

I reckon I would make quite a bit back off the VQ TT lump I've got at the moment to benefit what's needed for the RB26.. I've estimated around 6k for everything I need from engine/trans, mounting kit to loom and custom prop. (not including labour and any custom fabrication obviously).

Is 450-500 not like the max you can get out an RB without fully building a forged engine with a lot bigger turbo/turbos? And you're VQ could achieve more than this if it's forged. I personally think 6 grand is way off as you will have to buy all the new fuelling system to support a big power RB, then the big single/twin turbos,intercooler, engine management, mapping aswell as all the machining and porting and an engineering shop for the oil system and then there's cams, valves, springs, the list is massive but if you have the money go for it. And like you said you will make a good bit of money back from the TT VQ engine and i also might want to take it off your hands :ninja:

Edited by The Chubby Ninja

Is 450-500 not like the max you can get out an RB without fully building a forged engine with a lot bigger turbo/turbos? And you're VQ could achieve more than this if it's forged. I personally think 6 grand is way off as you will have to buy all the new fuelling system to support a big power RB, then the big single/twin turbos,intercooler, engine management, mapping aswell as all the machining and porting and an engineering shop for the oil system and then there's cams, valves, springs, the list is massive but if you have the money go for it. And like you said you will make a good bit of money back from the TT VQ engine and i also might want to take it off your hands :ninja:

There certainly is a lot of work involved but that's the point of a project. 6k will get me started, will give me a base to work on from there.. I've got contacts for mapping and some fabrication so shouldn't scare my bank in that area. And yes VQ TT will be my main source of funds so could be in the hands of another lucky zed owner :lol: