350z to 370z nismo - for those of you that have done it!

WINKJ

I was wondering whether to look into the possible move to a 370z nismo. I have been trying to hold out for a GTR but they're out of my reach at the moment, £1k for car tax alone...

However I have seen the 370z nismo in the flesh and think it looks great, however haven't driven it as of yet. Currently have an 08 HR with 27k on the clock so its a pretty tight car still.

My question is, is the juice worth the squeeze. I own the 350 outright and if I moved to a 370 nismo I would use the 350 as deposit and finance the rest. Is it a big step up?

Yep, tax is mental on new cars, but that £840 rate is just for the first year of registration. after that it'll be £475.

interesting! didn't know this - maybe thats why I saw £1100 on a GTR tax disk because it was in the first year of its life!

I probably am going to go against the grain. I would say there is a massive step up from the 350 to the 370z........ but I just dont get the price of the nismo. You can pick up a gorgeous 370z for 17.5 to 18k for a mint one........... big price jump to a nismo.

Someone at work summed this up today actually, he said that although my last 370 was a great looking car, the Nismo stands out significantly. Jay is right, for 17-18k, you could pick up a near mint 370, but then again, it's not a Nismo.

Test drive both, there is a noticeable difference, looks aside. It's a lot of dosh, but then your dead a long time. Free servicing on them for three years as well. A GTR costs @ 2k for a P3.

A big step up from a 350, looks, interior, bit more oomph, quality and gadgets, miss the heated seats though :lol:

I'm lucky, I didn't need finance, my last 370 had 2 years interest free with final payment, which worked well, check Nissans deals, or look at a pre reg/demo model for a better price, or wait a couple of years, or if I get fed up, sooner and buy mine :teeth:

• Like 3

Someone at work summed this up today actually, he said that although my last 370 was a great looking car, the Nismo stands out significantly. Jay is right, for 17-18k, you could pick up a near mint 370, but then again, it's not a Nismo.

Test drive both, there is a noticeable difference, looks aside. It's a lot of dosh, but then your dead a long time. Free servicing on them for three years as well. A GTR costs @ 2k for a P3.

A big step up from a 350, looks, interior, bit more oomph, quality and gadgets, miss the heated seats though :lol:

I'm lucky, I didn't need finance, my last 370 had 2 years interest free with final payment, which worked well, check Nissans deals, or look at a pre reg/demo model for a better price, or wait a couple of years, or if I get fed up, sooner and buy mine :teeth:

haha thanks G man, do you think though that the nismo will depreciate quicker as it is a higher price? or will the fact they are 'rarer' keep the prices in line with normal depreciation? would you definitely recommend a new/pre reg rather than second hand? or do you recommend the new because of the deals. IMO I agree with your point about it being a nismo, no matter how much you spend on a z, even if it is for retrofit Nismo parts.. it will never be a nismo! B)

Hard to say on depreciation, a lot of factors come into play here, but I would suspect it would hold out a bit more. On the question of new v second hand, that's down to budget these cars are bullet proof mechanically, and there are a lot of good examples out there.

But, put a Nismo side by side with a stock 370 and that'll make up your mind, IMO of course. A lot of money, but my last 370 had 3k plus thrown at it, made a nice noise, was a bit quicker than stock and was a fantastic car but the Nismo trumped it.

As Jay said, 370z from 350z anytime, but Nismo 370z is the ugliest Z ever produced by Nissan with a price difference from the standard version unjustifiable. You basically pay a lot more for some red and silver badge, crappy exhaust, a stabiliser bar and stiffer springs, all under an extremely ugly body kit that is ruining the beautiful look of the 370z. £6000 extra for that?! You can get a supercharger fitted for that kind of money, we're talking about 500rwhp and 400lb/ft torque.

The only things worth on the Nismo version are the wheels, a lot nicer than the standard ones on the sport version.

Performance wise, it's a joke, 16 little hungry ponies extra...

2014-01-21_17-24-14.jpeg

I'd get a beautiful 370z GT and start playing with it, better exhaust and suspension, UpRev will give you the extra power difference and so on.

Edited by octet

My two pence worth: I've had two previous 370Zs. The Nismo is significantly sharper and nippier and a very good looking car - real head turner. I'd much rather have one than a standard Z pimped up to extreme levels.

Of course you'll get the likes of you know who above finding reasons to insult them but my suggestion is go and drive one. Never driven a 350 myself but compared to my previous Zs the fairly minor bhp hike is misleading. The Nismo feels a lot more pokey to me than either of my previous 370s. Handling is also significantly sharper. As for the exhaust being "crappy" - I think not. I won't be changing the Nismo exhaust whereas I couldn't wait to get the stock exhaust removed from the previous car. It's not the loudest exhaust but it's suitably sporty and looks great.

You might want to look for an ex demonstrator - I've seen a few on Autotrader with reasonable discounts. :)