New Zed in 2016

Level 7 Boss

Speculation that a new Z car will launch in 2016 and it'll be time to wave goodbye to N/A engine. Quite surprised Nissan is bothered with a New Zed considering the poor sales of the 370z, and decline in the sports car market, coupled with the stiff competition from direct and indirect rivals (New Tt, Z4, Sti, GT86, New Supra and NSX).

What would you want from a new Z?

I expect a completely different exterior, and a considerable weight reduction by moving to a 4 pot and a slight power increase. Hopefully some tech could be passed down from the GTR

Nissan is set to replace the 370Z and GT-R and add to its sports car line-up with two new models.

Nissan product boss Andy Palmer admitted that engineers are working on all-new versions of the both the Z and GTR.

'There will be a new GT-R and it will continue to be brutally aggressive,' he said. He also hinted that certain versions of Nissan's sporting flagship could be hybrid-powered, and admitted that the company has already registered the GT-RH name.

A new 370Z will also appear around 2016. Palmer revealed that it 'will be true to the current Z and be a two-seater and rear-wheel drive'. He did hint, however, that the new car could well have a four-cylinder turbocharged engine, rather than the V6 that powers the current model.

Palmer also admitted that he is keen to see the BladeGlider concept – a super-lightweight electric sportscar - go into production, and a car related to the IDx concept - which could the herald the return of the 200SX coupe. Both were shown at the Tokyo motor show last November.

- See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/nissan-expand-sports-car-line-up/1226905#sthash.ISYNC2H2.dpuf

• Like 1

Why not a V6 2.0 Turbo? Seeing as their partners Renault have built a V6 1.6 Turbo for F1 why not a detuned and stretched version of that in a road car, putting out around 350 bhp. Back in the 80's, BMW based their F1 turbo engine on a block found in saloon cars.

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1

They have talking about it for a while. There's no need for a hybrid as there are two other hybrid nissans in the pipeline.

The way they have been talking recently is that it will be turbo and we may well get a 390/400zX. However displacement will be reduced, and the car will be lighter.

Personally I can't see it, the divide between z line and r line have got massive, both in terms of budget and performance. So the new z will continue that trend most likely, most predictions are for a 2l turbo or twin turbo model. So really they should leave the z alone, call it the s16 and leave it there if they refuse to donut properly.

The reality of seeing the return of a proper turbo zx are VERY slim. The market is there the GTR has proved that, however not being a true skyline anyway(it's not a salon car) leave little room for a luxury coupe version of it. Also who would pay the £70k for the latest z when the previous two have been no where near these kind of prices, the gtr is the flagship and they are making a new one.

Short version, be prepared to be disappointed. Were about to see the z car take another nose dive.

• Like 1

The z32 was originally designed to have a v8 the vh45de. However it was too powerful for the new 280hp gentlemans agreement. This saw them go with the vg30dett so it could easily detuned by lowering boost.

So that ship sailed over 25 years ago. With Renault at the helm your luck to have got the v6 you got, which incidentally was planned to go into the z32 towards the end, but the car ceased production due to its ludicrous price in that economy.

So arguably the z33 got the engine it was supposed to, just well after it was supposed to be built.

My money is on a z35 which is really an s16.

• Like 1

If its a 4 cylinder then its got to be an S chassis,

Personally I can't see it, the divide between z line and r line have got massive, both in terms of budget and performance. So the new z will continue that trend most likely, most predictions are for a 2l turbo or twin turbo model. So really they should leave the z alone, call it the s16 and leave it there if they refuse to donut properly.

Eh? That makes no sense, the new Z will continue the trend of not being a Z chassis? S-chassis also donut pretty well, I know, I got a world record in one :D

Also R-chassis is a very different prospect to GTR, I dont know anyone who has hankered after a RB20E R33 ;)

The reality of seeing the return of a proper turbo zx are VERY slim. The market is there the GTR has proved that, however not being a true skyline anyway(it's not a salon car) leave little room for a luxury coupe version of it. Also who would pay the £70k for the latest z when the previous two have been no where near these kind of prices, the gtr is the flagship and they are making a new one.

The C10, C11, R32 and R34 were pretty clearly coupes, and the R33 was a fat coupe, I think its safe to say that the R35's are coupes as well, albeit all have 4 seats. Any new Nissan Coupe that was going to be successful would have to come in at the same money as a GT86 or MX5 IMO, so £30K, with the GTR up at £80K these days thats a hell of a gap for a new, big engine Z chassis to fill .......... maybe as a direct competitor to the F Type, Cayman and lower end 911's.

That said, with a new Supra and new NSX on the horizon, who knows, the new Z could be direct competition for them leaving the S to duke it out int he class below, will be interesting to see :)

Edited by docwra

Sorry bloody iPhone, that was supposed to be "do it properly"

I totally agree a 4cyl zed is not a z, is an s. What I'm saying is historically the differences between skylines and Fairlady's have been pretty close on paper. The z33 and r35 bucked that trend, the z33 is no where near comparable on paper. I expect that trend to continue, ie the gap to get bigger, due to the market wanting a £30k coupe that does mpg. Therefore it won't be a z with a v6 turbo. It will likely be a 4cyl turbo. This is what the motoring press have said.

The r35 is def a coupe, however I wouldn't say the other r's were. The r35 really is nissans flagship at present by a long way, and defines how much the skyline has changed to become a true supercar. The 32 could be any 90s box pretty unexciting, and 33 came in 4 door and estate versions did it not? Funny coupe.

I think what he means is 2 door skylines had a long boot ie the shape of a saloon. The r35 is clearly a coupe although the r32/3/4 had coupe versions (they all had 4door versions) the shape is essentially a saloon

Interesting debate though. I agree if it's a 4 pot turbo it would make more sense as an s body. 200Z doesn't have the same appeal :lol:

Everyone says there's no market for big engines anymore yet merc are selling loads of *63s.

Funny how everyone's complaining about a turbo whereas when the r35 came out everyone was complaining about the lack of a turbo :lol:

If youre trying to tell me that this isnt a coupe .............. then Im not having it:

turp_0812_10_o%2Bnissan_skyline_r34_gtr%2Bleft_shot.jpg

And a 3 door 3 series (Im assuming you mean an E36 compact) is a hatchback, a 2 door (like I said) 3 series is a coupe, hence the C on the back.

Edited by docwra

Coupes can now have four doors too, just to confuse things (CLS!).

I think of swoopy lines when I think of coupes, so while the GT-Rs may technically be coupes I will continue to view them in my mind as saloons due to the boxy shape of them. That makes me wrong, I know, but there you go.

Coupe is such a, well subjective thing.

Too me a coupe must be long up front short at the back and have a sloped roofline toward the rear.

Think ford Capri that's, coupe too me.

An m3 or a r33 esp the 34 isnt, you can disagree but it's a personal thing. The flat boot and large passenger cabin area have the profile of a Jetta. (Not much if a skyline fan)

Don't even get me started on the RX8! Ugh! That's a car that embarrasses it's predecessor. Recreating a classic should not include making it bigger heavier and less powerful full stop, it should also show some progression. Making a car that pulls 230 hp out of 14mpg, common Mazda what on earth were you thinking!

I'd rather have an '8 than a '7. Seriously.

Not sure why, as the 7 is prettier & has more power, they've both got fragile engines etc. There's just something about the 8 that I find more appealing. Maybe it's the fact they haven't got a turbo and most of them don't have ugly bodykits stuck to them like the 7s, or maybe it's the fact they're so cheap now they'd make a great track toy :D

Yeah, I'm odd. I know.

You've obviously not owned an 8 then haha.

I was shocked how much surface rust accumulated over 4 years if normal use. I was horrified when the sump pan fell off. I was frustrated by the fact you can't drive it 5feet to move it out the way at work, without leaving it running for a few minutes for the fact if would flood.

There cheap for a reason. Badddddd car.

• Like 1