Tank size and filling problems

Red_Nic

From reading posts on here, the petrol tank size is either 80L or 76L.

Who knows which it is for a UK 2004 350Z ?

I've always filled my car up from almost empty (petrol light just comes on) at a cost of £85-95 (at £1.30 per Litre equates to 65-73L).

But for the last 3 months I cant get more than £60 worth in (46 litres ish). Its still on empty with petrol light on. I wait 1 minute and try to get more fuel in, but its absolutely full.

What could be causing this?

an air lock in the petrol tank??

or an error with the petrol light sensor coming on too early, saying its empty when its really not?

I don't risk driving it long after petrol light comes on coz I don't want to run out!

As others have said could be down to just the fuel sender. Some people have cleaned their's and it solves the fault but others have had to replace them.

Mine never goes all the way up to full and always reads just under. As long as you know it's not a big deal really I don't think.

Worth noting (but you probably already know this) only run your Zed on Super Unleaded as the lower octane normal unleaded is not good for the engine especially when used for any great length of time. ;)

Reading Nic's intro post, she's had the car 8 and a half years and its done 96k. If its survived that long on 95RON then fair play!

I used super unleaded in it for the first 6 years, but for the last 2.5 years I've used standard unleaded. I can't notice any difference...... I don't drive it hard so I don't notice any difference in performance. What should I look out for by using standard unleaded? Is there anything I should clean out or replace more often as I use standard fuel?

Gauge is inaccurate, what does the DTE read? I ran mine for a few miles when the DTE showed - - - - and only got 71 litres in. I can only get 60 litres in or so if the DTE is showing 40 - 50 miles left.

When the petrol light comes on, the DTE shows that I have 60 miles left. So I'm pretty sure there is way more petrol in the tank when my car says its empty.

But I don't like to risk it as I'm not sure which part is most accurate.

I think it's prob the fuel sender like people have said.

And yes it's no huge problem. I just fill up more regularly . But I'd like my car to give me the correct info, so I'll look to clean/replace the sender.

Thanks

Reading Nic's intro post, she's had the car 8 and a half years and its done 96k. If its survived that long on 95RON then fair play!

I used super unleaded in it for the first 6 years, but for the last 2.5 years I've used standard unleaded. I can't notice any difference...... I don't drive it hard so I don't notice any difference in performance. What should I look out for by using standard unleaded? Is there anything I should clean out or replace more often as I use standard fuel?

Get the fan as out, as you're about to get flamed.

Get the fan as out, as you're about to get flamed.

:lol: That's about right.

It is 'strongly' recommended to use 98ron +. It says it in the owners manual and on the inside of the fuel flap.

It's not for performance reasons, its because it is tuned to run on 98 so not running it on 98+ can, and has been known to, lead to engine damage.

If you drive it like a granny, never going over 4k rpm then you'll probably be fine, but it's not recommended.

It would be advised to return to Super unleaded. :)

I can't notice any difference...... I don't drive it hard so I don't notice any difference in performance. What should I look out for by using standard unleaded?

2 things to consider here, first of all if you keep your revs down to 3,000 (which I find sufficient for day to day driving) then you'll be O.K. Secondly, it's important not to put the engine under heavy load, ie hard acceleration from 30 in 6th gear or straining the engine in a high gear up a steep hill. By using 95 Ron you will be down something like 5% on power and 2-3% on fuel economy. Rather than drive around panicking when I can't get Super I simply put £20 of 95 Ron and then fill up when that's gone.

Pete

• Like 1

I can't notice any difference...... I don't drive it hard so I don't notice any difference in performance. What should I look out for by using standard unleaded?

2 things to consider here, first of all if you keep your revs down to 3,000 (which I find sufficient for day to day driving) then you'll be O.K. Secondly, it's important not to put the engine under heavy load, ie hard acceleration from 30 in 6th gear or straining the engine in a high gear up a steep hill. By using 95 Ron you will be down something like 5% on power and 2-3% on fuel economy. Rather than drive around panicking when I can't get Super I simply put £20 of 95 Ron and then fill up when that's gone.

Pete

Interesting you should quote fuel economy Pete. The difference in super costs roughly 8p more (depending where you shop). That's approx 6% more cost on normal unleaded. So for 3% true cost of super unleaded, why are you potentially wrecking your engine? Plus I don't believe you bumble around in a zed ALL the time, as that's not what for zed's for :teeth:

I've always stood by the fact you're not financially better off by putting 95 Ron in your tank, even though it might seem that at the pump :thumbs:

Also, my light comes on at 90miles DTE (if I remember rightly as I don't normally run it below 1/4 tank)

• Like 1

my fuel gauge is terrible. the other day it was screaming bloody murder at me to put some petrol in, (DTE had been on '----' for 20 miles) but i'd only done 330 miles on the tank, and my mpg reading suggested i should be good for over 400.

Sure enough, when i filled up yesterday could only get 58 litres in, so still had 22 in the tank :dry:

Nowadays i reset the mpg reading at every fill up, and as long as its above 26mpg i know i can do 400 miles, regardless of what the fuel guage and DTE reading may be telling me!