New 350z owner and worrying already

Jay M1988

Hey all

Right I've owned the 350 for over 6 weeks now and there's something wrong which seemed hidden when I'd test driven it.

Basically there is a rattle from under the the gearbox area.

The rattle goes away once accelerator is fully down but upon being on and off the throttle the rattle appears. Once warmed up it rattles a little as it sits in neutral. But generally on and off the throttle.

Also to note there is a vibration under heavy throttle and upon allowing the car to slow while the revs are decreasing again not all of the time but randomly.

The rattle wasn't apparent upon the test drove at all but car wasn't driven too hard. The rattle is definitely getting more and more apparent and has went from every now and then on and off throttle to every day now.

I thought a loose exhaust as it has a aftermarket scorpion exhaust but this seems right down the centre from gear stick to just behind the seats.

I'm going to jack the car up at the weekend and have a good look not too sure what I'm checking tbh but ill see what moves and doesn't haha.

In truth I'm worrying like mad as this was a big purchase for me and due to not hearing it at all on the test drive to it occurring every day now is distressing.

The gear changes are a little sloppy but I've noticed the gearbox is made this way I've not had any issues selecting the gears as yet though.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

It doesn't seem to happen when cold and only when cars started to warm up a tad. Ill be sure to check heat shields this weekend.

I've dipped the clutch and pressed the accelerator a little as I've stated it's off and on the throttle and it occurs with clutch engaged or not.

Could be the heat shields, the selector bolt under the car could be lose or it could be the nylon socket for the stick (cals one on here was worn and did this before I swapped it out).

Drive the car and hold the knob with some force to see if it stops :thumbs:

Also to note there is a vibration under heavy throttle and upon allowing the car to slow while the revs are decreasing again not all of the time but randomly.

The gear changes are a little sloppy but I've noticed the gearbox is made this way I've not had any issues selecting the gears as yet though.

sounds to me like worn engine/gearbox mounts

The y pipe on my exhaust was rattling against the w-brace and made a racket inline with what you're describing, might just be something as simple as them being quite close to each other and touching at certain temp/rev combos, defo worth a look when you get it up and easy/cheap to sort.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Edited by SuperStu

Will do lee would it be heat shields when it doesn't rattle from first start up only from roughly 10mins into the journey.

I wish there was a local garage in northeast area that knows there 350z's

Could be as it's a different sound vibrations when in the higher revs.

Well guys thank you for your help, I'm relieved to update this after weekend spent underneath the car.

These scorpion exhausts are a lil out on fitment, issue was one of the brackets weren't in the exhaust hanger.

Problemo solved nice and easy haha

I would give it a full service, including gearbox and diff oil along with a tube of moly slip. This would be a good thing to do anyway so you wouldn't lose anything from doing it and see if the problem persists.

Is it consistently all the time it happens? Ie can you guarantee that when you let off the revs you'll get the vibration? And does that vibration come through the gear stick?