Anti-Virus recommendations

ioneabee

Norton and macafee are awful, resource hogging and not very good.

Please don't waste your hard earned in those.

As has been said go for a recommended free AV such as avast or avg ( the latter was good but I found wasn't as effective after the first year or so) and malware bytes or other spyware:malware protection. All free and very effective.

What a load of old rubbish! Yes Norton use to be very resource hogging but that's only because it was a decent AV.

It is a lot better on performance now and is still the number one AV voted by Gartner who actually know what they are talking about.

As has been said go for a recommended free AV such as avast or avg ( the latter was good but I found wasn't as effective after the first year or so) and malware bytes or other spyware:malware protection. All free and very effective.

What a load of old rubbish! Yes Norton use to be very resource hogging but that's only because it was a decent AV.

It is a lot better on performance now and is still the number one AV voted by Gartner who actually know what they are talking about.

Pardon?

In my experience it's bloated expensive and not very effective but yes it could've changed in the last year or so which was my last encounter with the product.

I may also know what I'm talking about.... But then maybe I don't ;)

P.s not a fan of symantec products at all based on my overall experience from enterprise down to end user so my opinion maybe biased :)

For the uninitiated and because I'm too lazy to Google it who or what is Gartner?

Avast and malwarebytes for my PC. ClamXav for the Mac.

I found Norton a bit resource hungry.

And how necessary is AV for Mac?

I use it for on demand scans of inbound email attachments, I know I won't get infected but I don't like to pass on attachments that might be contaminated to my mates.

Gartner are an independent techogy research company.

They can be useful as an indication for executives to benchmark against but typically (in my experience) means very little when on the ground. The quadrant graph posted points to them being very effective however it doesn't explain what other factors it's takes into account other than stopping infection.....

To be honest even the top 0 day products are all fallible to some extent. :)

I like the identity safe feature on Norton (remembers your passwords for different sites)

so from the above (very) mixed bag, think I'm gonna stick with it for another year

cheers all for the helpful comments :thumbs:

• Like 1