descent tyres at normal price?

ddcboyle

Kumho seem to have some good reviews.

I know people are saying not to skimp on tyres, but its only skimping if i was buying the cheapest tyres going. To some people the price isnt a big deal, but its 140 extra for SS compared to other tyres, which takes it toll when your trying to pay off other car issues lol.

Ill have a look around at the kumho's. I dont boot the car so its not like i need the highest spec (understanding that tyres and brakes are still the most important), vreds have just worn down way too fast and wouldnt buy another set for that reason.

Thanks for all the input guys :) could 2 used, but basically brand new vred tyres up for sale if i do go with the same tyre setup all round

+1 for the MPSS's. I stumped up for a full set a couple of weeks ago, and have been really surprised by them. The Falken (Which were on before) were always regarded as one of the best tyres to get if you didnt want to get the MPSS's, but these are on another level. Cant believe how much better they are in every way. The amount of traction iv got is amazing. We had torrential rain yesterday while I was out driving, and had really cold, greasy roads here the past week or so, and iv not yet found myself in trouble with grip or traction. Never bought expensive tyres for my car, as im not a race driver, however, im now converted, as cant get over how much better they are in every way over the 452's. Been told I should also get more life from these than I did with the Falkens, so thats good. (Im guessing because your not over speeding the tyres so much, because you have more grip, the tyres are not ripping up as much)

It's a bit of a cliche I know, but they say 'you can't put a price on safety'.

I know tyres are expensive, but for your own peace of mind couldnt you chuck them on a credit card or something? I would personally water my fuel down before I skimped on tyres, they are the only thing holding you to the road at the end of the day.

Not trying to preach or anything, just be careful out there as temps are dropping and we've had a few icy mornings so far.

• Like 1

I know tyres are expensive, but for your own peace of mind couldnt you chuck them on a credit card or something? I would personally water my fuel down before I skimped on tyres, they are the only thing holding you to the road at the end of the day.

^^^ This times billionty.

I find it odd that people will spend nigh-on a grand on new wheels or body kits or BFWs without blinking, but try and save a couple of hundred quid on the bits that actually matter. Not you DDC, more a general observation.

• Like 2

Try Kumho Ecsta. I've just picked a pair of brand new tyres up for the rear (275/35-19) for just over £200 delivered (was a special offer though).

With the new EU tyre labelling rules, most of the 'branded' tyres score a B or C rating for wet grip. The Kumho are rated as 'A'. The ydo get good reviews for a 'budget' tyre too.

KU39? Hook a brother up ;)

^^^ This times billionty.

I find it odd that people will spend nigh-on a grand on new wheels or body kits or BFWs without blinking, but try and save a couple of hundred quid on the bits that actually matter. Not you DDC, more a general observation.

Ive generally always paid top price for things, but the thread wasnt indicating i wanted cheap tyres that were made of rubber. More so that, vredesteins are cheaper alternative to mpss, nearly as good. Was merely seeing if there were tyres that were like this, but at a lower price. Verds used to be 100 a wheel when they werent heard of too much and was looking for a brand that was beginning to take off well and price was low due to brand being new.

Chances are i will get mpss, but i dont always believe that 100pound tyres will not work good.

Appreciate its not aimed at me, just sorta saying why i wasnt aiming at mpss initially :)

+1 for the MPSS's. I stumped up for a full set a couple of weeks ago, and have been really surprised by them. The Falken (Which were on before) were always regarded as one of the best tyres to get if you didnt want to get the MPSS's, but these are on another level. Cant believe how much better they are in every way. The amount of traction iv got is amazing. We had torrential rain yesterday while I was out driving, and had really cold, greasy roads here the past week or so, and iv not yet found myself in trouble with grip or traction. Never bought expensive tyres for my car, as im not a race driver, however, im now converted, as cant get over how much better they are in every way over the 452's. Been told I should also get more life from these than I did with the Falkens, so thats good. (Im guessing because your not over speeding the tyres so much, because you have more grip, the tyres are not ripping up as much)

No offensce but I don't think anyone compared 452's to mpss? The 452 is a great budget tyre yes but it's not a great tyre overall IMO

• Like 1

No offensce but I don't think anyone compared 452's to mpss? The 452 is a great budget tyre yes but it's not a great tyre overall IMO

Daryl didn't compare Falken and MPSS on a like for like basis. He clearly stated that the MPSS is afar superior tyre. Also since when we're Falken budget? They're mid-range, in both price and performance :)

Daryl didn't compare Falken and MPSS on a like for like basis. He clearly stated that the MPSS is afar superior tyre. Also since when we're Falken budget? They're mid-range, in both price and performance :)

Sorry your right they are mid range for some people. But they are the bare minimum I'd put on a performance car personally. Also he said they where regarded as the best tyre on here which isn't true. Not fighting but it's the truth.

• Like 1

Sorry your right they are mid range for some people. But they are the bare minimum I'd put on a performance car personally. Also he said they where regarded as the best tyre on here which isn't true. Not fighting but it's the truth.

Fair points :)

I think if your rocking the larger 19" size the tyres don't make as much of a difference as they do with the 18's OEM size.

I have 452's on my 19's and RE050A's on the Rays....hands down the Falkens have more grip in the wet and dry. But is because they have a lot more rubber on the road than the bridgestones I imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

Rainsport 3, used to have MPSS and trust me I don't feel disappointed after I changed to rainsport 3, and I don't potter about either. The MPSS are probably few percent better ultimately but I'm not pro enough to notice on the road.

For the back MPSS are £170ish, whereas the rainsport 3 are £105. Quite bit of price difference for minimal trade off, I've looked at it long and hard when I decided to change tyres, all the mid range like Falkens and Toyos etc are crap in wet grip, noisy and mediocre dry grip, but the new rainsport really impresses for the price. The Rainsport has good dry grip, fantastic wet grip and are quiet, can't comment on wear yet as I've only had them on for 1000miles but the previous version seem to wear well.

Edited by KuroKiddo

Which configuration Rainsport 3 did you go for out of interest? I've just had a pair of 245/45/18Y 100XL fitted on the rear from Camskill, and the car is all over the place above 55mph with any steering input whatsoever. I'm assuming I've been a complete simpleton and bought some with huge sidewalls.

It's totally disconcerting, I've only had them on for about 50 miles but this feels like an issue with the size of the sidewall as opposed to lack of grip. They were at the standard 35psi, so I put them up to 37 with no improvement at all. No problem in a straight line on full power in the wet, any steering input and it feels like I'm driving a blancmange. Any ideas? The car does require an alignment, but with the RE050s on before it felt completely planted.

I had exactly the same! Blame it on mis-matched tyres as I'm wearing RS3 at back and RE040 at the front, but after 200miles the problem was gone. As you know 225/45/18 RS3 is not coming out for another couple of weeks yet but as soon as that is out I will be replacing the front two as well.

I've just had a pair of 245/45/18Y 100XL fitted on the rear from Camskill... but with the RE050s on before it felt completely planted.

So RS3 on the rear, 050A on the front? Assuming the 050A aren't completely shot, I'd expect you to be feeling oversteer more than you did before.

That said, if you have little feel at the front, then check rear tyre pressures. And please take it very easy until you can match the rears at the front. :)

Edited by Ekona

Okay well ive just went and got 2 michellin pilot supersports from FunkyTyres. And.... i now see a big difference which everyone has been talking about. It does have superb traction compared to my verdesteins (which i thought were good already). Ive not taken any fast corners or anything yet, just wearing them in. But straight line seems alot quicker as theres barely any wheel spin now.

So... i guess its MPSS from here on out for me, just need some guts now so i can test them round bends ^^