Carla's poorly 350 - it won't start - help please

Carla

Hi All,

I am wondering if there are any locals close that could help me please. Basically I've been away for a month and have unfortunately come back to a dead car.

It is making a noise when I turn it but it's just not connecting to start up.

I'm not a very technical person and I think I probably just need a jump start. I've bought some jump leads and tried to google it but I'm not too confident on what to do.

Also, I have looked at local garages and called the AA (not a member, I know I'm silly) but it's going to cost me about £100-£150! I also considered giving Ricey a call but the bugger is on the other side of the world with his girlfriend travelling.

So I'm asking if there is anyone that could come by and help me please, I haven't even started my Xmas shopping yet and I'm beginning to feel a bit sick with it all! I live near Hoole in Chester, any help/advice would be appreciated

Thank you kindly x

Edited by Carla

When Jump starting from car to car just make sure that each lead goes to the same part of the battery on each car.

There will be + and - symbol. Each lead will need to go to ++ and --

Once the leads are connected make sure the car jump starting you is on and is giving it some revs before you try starting yours.

Carla

Connect the red lead to the doner cars red terminal and the other end to your cars red terminal. Connect the black lead to the doner cars black [other] terminal and the other end to a suitable earth on your car, ie, a engine bolt. Leave for 10mins. then start your car. DO NOT start the other car ,thats how you can cause damage.

Merry xmas

Keith

Thank you kindly for all your replies!

I live on black diamond park before you go over Hoole bridge in Chester.

Ok. So reading the replies there is a few conflicting. The other car, is it supposed to be turned on or off after connecting the leads?

I also need to find another car ðŸ˜

I wish I had more knowledge of this sort of thing, I bet it's so simple to you guys, sorry to sound thick x

Hi All,

I am wondering if there are any locals close that could help me please. Basically I've been away for a month and have unfortunately come back to a dead car.

It is making a noise when I turn it but it's just not connecting to start up.

I'm not a very technical person and I think I probably just need a jump start. I've bought some jump leads and tried to google it but I'm not too confident on what to do.

Also, I have looked at local garages and called the AA (not a member, I know I'm silly) but it's going to cost me about £100-£150! I also considered giving Ricey a call but the bugger is on the other side of the world with his girlfriend travelling.

So I'm asking if there is anyone that could come by and help me please, I haven't even started my Xmas shopping yet and I'm beginning to feel a bit sick with it all! I live near Hoole in Chester, any help/advice would be appreciated

Thank you kindly x

As you have been away for a month it is probably that the battery has just died as the alarm has been on.

It is that time of year when you find out just how good your battery is. I know the RAC will come out to you and fit a new one for around £90 even if you are not a member. I know you don't want to spend out if your existing battery is ok, but if it is old may be worth doing and you can kill two birds with one stone sort to speak. :)

Hawker,

I have access to one car but neither of us know how to bump start it and I'm petrified incase I damage it.

The advice so far is to rev the engine of the car being used or the other is to not turn it on at all because it could cause damage

:/

I think hawker means bump start as in, turn ignition to on (not to the start position, just where the key normally sits when youre driving), push the zed in gear but holding the clutch down and then release clutch when you have speed, should fire up.

You do of course need a volunteer to push.

Carla,

Don't bother with jump starting it. Once a battery that's more than a couple of years old goes flat, it'll fail again even if you manage to get it started so as Choptop says you need a new battery. I can't help today but I'm free tomorrow if you want me to help you out :) .

Pete

• Like 2

Carla,

Don't bother with jump starting it. Once a battery that's more than a couple of years old goes flat, it'll fail again even if you manage to get it started so as Choptop says you need a new battery. I can't help today but I'm free tomorrow if you want me to help you out :) .

Pete

Nice one Pete :thumbs:

Hawker,

I have access to one car but neither of us know how to bump start it and I'm petrified incase I damage it.

The advice so far is to rev the engine of the car being used or the other is to not turn it on at all because it could cause damage

:/

Carla

I know I said don't run the other car, but it probably wont hurt anything if you do, as I've done it many times.

Hi all, first thank you for all your input and advise, especially jetset for volunteering to come and help. You're a star!

Luckily I called upon my good friends other half who also owns a zed, he came and plugged his car to mine but it turns out it wasn't the battery, the car was just really cold and wouldn't click to turn over.

We kept trying it over a 15 minute period and it eventually caught and started up! I've took it for a good spin now and it seems absolutely fine.

Thought I'd take some footage for you guys but struggling to upload grrrr

X