First visit to the US...

Commander

I love it here! I'm sitting here in Macy's, using free WiFi having spent the morning walking around San Francisco listening to the V6s and V8s powering the city's morning drivers around... The City is huge and the architecture is impressive! I'm off cycling over the Golden Gate Bridge tomorrow and visiting Alcatraz on Monday - have any of you been here before? Recommend me some places to go? I'm here on my own until a work thing starts later in the week so got time to kill and I don't go abroad with work very often so I want to make the most of it...

• Like 1

You lucky sob. :D I take it work is paying for this little break?!

I went to Florida with my parents back in the 90's so no idea where to visit in San Francisco really. Isn't that where they filmed "Bullet" though?! I'd find those massive hills, hire a car and strap a go-pro to the car whilst I tryed to impersonate Steve McQueen. B):D

Enjoy the hol.

GMBallistic - yep, work are paying :) The hills aren't hard to find, they everywhere! They're extremely steep too, which might explain why I haven't seen any Zeds!

BulletMagnet - lol, thanks for the eats. You trying to fatten me up?! My hotel's near Pier39 and there's an IHop round the corner, so that's two off your list. There's a Man V Food Burrito place on 16th St I want to visit too... I gather MvF counts as cultural over here! ;)

The hills aren't hard to find, they everywhere! They're extremely steep too, which might explain why I haven't seen any Zeds!

I have always seen a few Zeds in SF, mainly around Nob Hill. There is lots to do and see.

If your a geek and have a car then the Computer Museum out Mountain View way is worth a visit.

Quote of the day, I'm ordering breakfast in IHop...

Me: do you have any Belgian waffles?

Waitress: Ah, you want a taste of home?

Me: Erm?

Waitress: Well you're French, right?

LMFAO! Even if I was French, which I'm most certainly not, I'm not sure she even knew France and Belgium are different countries?! After trying my hardest not to laugh, they don't have any anyway.... Pancakes, maple syrup and a gallon of coffee it is. Makes a full English look healthy!

• Like 1

Quote of the day, I'm ordering breakfast in IHop...

Me: do you have any Belgian waffles?

Waitress: Ah, you want a taste of home?

Me: Erm?

Waitress: Well you're French, right?

LMFAO! Even if I was French, which I'm most certainly not, I'm not sure she even knew France and Belgium are different countries?! After trying my hardest not to laugh, they don't have any anyway.... Pancakes, maple syrup and a gallon of coffee it is. Makes a full English look healthy!

^^ :lol: Brilliant Monsieur.

Got to say when I went to the USA the IHOP was my favourite place to eat. I'm a bit of a fussy eater but there was pretty much nothing I didn't like there. :) The portion sizes though are rediculous, ..I learnt that after I ordered a plate of pancakes too that was about 12" high covered in maple syrup.

Love San Fran! So many Tesla's driving their silicone valley owners around.

Have you booked Alcatraz? I went in September but we had to book month in advance.

Some great places to eat near Union Square too, get on trip advisor that will sort you out.

I was in SF last fall, love the place. Love all the old Mustangs you see, and the new ones. My tip is to get to an Avis, there's one near Union Square (think it's on Post) and rent a Camaro or Mustang. Reasonably priced and loads of fun for a yank boat. SF traffic is rubbs but if you get a chance to burn down the pacific coast highway for a few hours, you'll love it. The prehistoric speed limits are less fun, but it's a great place for a drive. Around town drive up to Lombard for the crazy zig zag streets, like Steve McQueen, if your car is cool enough the tourists love to take photos.:) or drive north to wine country where it's a bit warmer and cool to just tool around the roads.

When I was in SF we went to a Niners game, I don't know the fixtures for your duration but it was great fun if you like 'football' - even if you don't it's an experience. Get down early and check all the pre-match in the car park, loads of BBQs, beer and those retarded big trucks they seem to love. Super friendly too.

At night, if you're feeling flush ($300+), hit somewhere like The Clift, get some bottle service (buy a full bottle of whiskey and vodka) and they set you up with a reserved table. If you tip your (stunning) waitress and smile, use your best James Bond English accent and explain you're new in town they may also introduce you to some beautiful babies who don't have a seat and may want to sit on your VIP table. It's a bit cheesey at first but it's certainly an American experience, more fun in a gang than lone wolf.

Obviously if you get hungry, the world's best burgers can be had at In-n-Out, don't forget the secret menu too! The single greatest thing about the US is the service, don't bother with menus for breakfast just ask for whatever the hell you want! It's amazeballs, none of the crap you get here when you ask if you can have no mushrooms on your full English and the waitress looks at you like you asked to touch her inappropriately. For morning drinking try the bottomless mimosas at The Sycamore, I don't care if it's hipster, $12 for a bottomless glass of booze is worth it. Enjoy the free poured liquor too, sensible measures everywhere :)

So jealous, I keep teasing myself I might go in the new year for some sunshine. Enjoy every second mate, it'll fly by.

Sorry for my Americanisms above I get super excited sometimes.

• 5 months later...