Top tip . Jack or stand pads

Richf

Sure this isn't rocket science but might be of help to some. .

A cheap and good solution for jacking up the zed on the approved jacking points on the sills , you need a special shaped pad here so you don't damage the pinch weld on the sill .

You can buy solid rubber hockey pucks on eBay for just a few pounds each

Cut a channel down the middle with an angle grinder , a grinding disc works fine , the groove you need is about 5mm deep but just keep trial fitting until the puck fits flush each side of the seam .

Job done , you can use these with any type of jack and they are especially useful with axle stands, the rubber surface helps stop the stand from slipping

20131130_083844_zps9b70780b.jpg

20131130_082104_zps7da4de40.jpg

Usual caveats apply , be very careful when working under your car and you do so at your own risk

• Like 4

just an FYI when doing this. Most hockey pucks wont fit square on a axlestand and risk slipping off. Best answer is turn the stand 90 degrees to normal and chamfer the underside of the puck so it sits flat on the main part of the stand. Helps avoid it slipping off. The stands i have have very curved edges so the puck would have to bend, the ones in OP dont look to bad though. Depends on your stand.

Edited by r37

is it the 4oz ones ?

well there is a question , ive no idea what they weigh , i'm guessing whatever it was its less now I've cut a groove in it . I imagine though there must be a standard size and weight for hockey pucks ?

• 3 months later...

There are any number of old posts about jacking up the car that I could have bumped but I chose this one because I think the pucks are a good idea.

What is the correct order to jack up the car? Front then back or back then front. Given that the handbrake only locks the back wheels I'm thinking front then back but just wanted to be sure.