Claiming Expenses for Driving

Daruna

Hi all,

Are any of you familiar with negotiating expenses for using your own vehicle for work? I am expected to travel to visit clients etc from time to time and currently receive £0.32 per mile for my expenses. I calculate my actual cost based on 20mpg at £0.29 per mile based on fuel at £1.30. So at present I am covering fuel cost. Unsure whether it is fair that I should ask for more. As you can guess I am not really familiar with this form of negotiation. Are any of you able to shed any light on the subject?

Calculations based on:

http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/fuelconsumption.php

130/4.4= 29.5p per mile @20mpg

Mrs glrner gets 45p per mile, I think that's the govt approved rate, don't forget it's about mileage, service costs and insurance etc NOT just the cost of fuel. You are supplying your vehicle to the benefit of your employee. On the iPhone so not easy to check govt websites at the mo

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

• Like 3

Government rate is 45p. However your rate of remuneration should be in your contract.

And my understanding is if you are only paid 25p per mile, you can claim the tax on the 20p difference back at the end of the financial year, not the full 20p. This is for the first 10k miles.

• Like 1

As Marzman says, you can claim "MiIeage Allowance Relief" for anything less than 45p .I think you can back date it as well for up to two years. Worth also noting that if you get paid more than 45p rate, you are technically liable to pay tax on the difference

• Like 1

What line of work are you doing?

In my experince I've always ended up being at a loss after my expenses come through, that seems pretty good to me.

Hello, thank you all for some fantastic information, very useful. Im due a review soon and am going to ask for the government rate for fuel. I don't do much mileage for my job (design engineer) but I want to be compensated fairly. Thanks again, excellent quality of responses :)