IPHONE 5 WARRANTY and EU LAW?

neo-ninja

HI All,

Sooo...my iphone 5 has broken! And typically its outside my 12 month Apple warranty.

So I call up Apple and tell them its broken (it keeps finding signal then finds it then drops it, which rinses battery and means I cant actually use it on anything but wifi for more then 10s or so), we run through various trouble shooting stuff(which I have more or less all done myself already) then he says I need to go into Apple and and show them my phone as they may be able to help.

I ask him how likely that it is they can fix it in store, he says its very unlikely and the chances are I will need a new unit. But the catch is as im 1 month out of my 1 year warranty a new unit is £216!!! (They have previously already replaced it as about 4 months in my home button stopped working)

Now, I could understand that if my screen was cracked, or I had dropped it in a puddle, but I treat my gadgets unbelievable well, its never been dropped, always had a case, and screen protector (if you take off the case it looks brand spanking new). So I basically say to him on the phone there is no way I will be paying that and legally that seems crazy as clearly there is something not right (how do I know my replacement wasn't faulty etc..) I was calm and polite. He then tells me there is something i can do and tells me about this page:

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Which assuming im reading it correctly says I actually have two years warranty under EU law?! Now....how do I go about claiming that? Do I just go instore and take a print out etc?

Well if I'm reading that right, and you've had a new unit then surely you get another cover periood since you now own a new unit which should then be covered with it's own warranty period?

You do 3 months, but as I had it in May it was before my original warranty ended anyway.

Exactly. How do you prove that?

£216 is peanuts on a phone worth three times that originally. Suck it up, or pay the insurance excess (you do have insurance, right?).

Insurance? I haven't lost it or broken it.... £216 is a lot of money I think when the phone is practically new you shouldn't have to pay that after a year of ownership.

so the "new" phone is 6 months old - so still within warranty - or did they give you a refurbished unit and only apply 3 months warranty to it - that doesn't smell right to me :shrug:

so no my bad explanation.

1st phone I bought early October. That broke around May so it was replaced by a second phone. You either get 12 months from your original date, ie October or three months from the new phones issue date. Ie Mid August. Depending on which is longer. In my case it is mid October. So I am 1 month over warranty (the conspiracy theorist in me finds that very suspect! But that's a conversation for another day )

Im just not willing to accept it without a fight, as it seems wrong to me that a device which has been treated very well has broken in just over a year of use (technically only 5 months or so on the new handset) and its going to cost me £216 to fix.

If it was £50 I could maybe accept that, or if I had treated it badly. But I haven't if anything its been massively underused as I have a work phone too that I use.

Edited by neo-ninja

I agree - don't accept

and I would push that the new phone should come with its own 12month warranty

I just replaced a "new" 8 month old watch - got a brand new warrany with it - so it is done

according to that then George - I did well - because I wrote to them after they'd repaired it once - still faulty on its return and told them I was rejecting it ............but this was 8 months down the line (they replaced it no quibble with same)

I find it interesting that Apple are one of the few phone manufactures that dont sell phones with à 2 year warranty.

Never have done, I took my 4 back once a month out of warranry because it wouldnt charge got told that it would be £109 I made a fuss and luckily about 5/6 orher people in the shop all had the same issue so we caused a riot :dance:

Got a refurbed one gratis :teeth:

Sent from the golf club...

One of my mates had similar story when his daughter's iphone broke phones apple-they said they will have to pay for new as it only coveted for 1 year...long story short - he got told by someone else that by EU law or something it covered for 2 years (1year in US), so he phoned them back, quoted that to apple person-and they gone "oh yea...bla bla bla" and gave him new phone

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys,

I just thought I would everyone a quick update on this. Basically I did a wholllle load of research into it, and in effect I was right about the 2 Year EU Law warranty. I spoke to several people about it and finally decided to go into my local O2 store. When I got in there the manager was extremely rude and basically tried to laugh me out of the shop said it didn't exist, if it did the 25 million Apple product owners wouldn't be paying the applecare policy etc.. I ended up saying to him I would show him the websites etc.. but he didn't want to hear anything about it and I ended up leaving...

That then started my thirst to get this settled, so I spoke to O2 customers support got through to someone who acknowledged this was true but because apple had replaced it already once under warranty it was them who needed to do it again. The offered to give me the legal documentation I needed to force Apple to do this and gave me an email address to write to to get it from O2. However surprise surprise I never got it from them. After 3 days I then spoke to another manager at the call centre who tried to tell me I was told the wrong information. At that point I said to them I would like to request all my personal data and transcripts of all calls to O2 under the 1998 data protection act. (Which you are legally allowed to do)

That's when things very quickly changed, to cut a long story short I now have a brand new Iphone 5 from Apple, and £5 a month off my monthly bill from O2 for the trouble I incurred...

So in short yes you do have 2 years EU warranty, and its worth claming, it saved me £215 odd on a new handset and £5 x11 for the money from O2.

• Like 1