Frozen Windows

cmp999

I have tried searching but can't find anything, The car was covered in ice the other morning (no garage), everything was frozen, windows, doors, door handles & boot. The door windows were frozen solid along the seal even after scraping and using de-icer, I believe de-icer rots the seals so don't fancy using it on a regular basis. What do you guys do/use, today I sprayed a cloth with silicone spray and wiped this around the door and boot seal but is there a recommended product. More importantly what can I use on the windows, I don't like the idea of the door window being frozen in place whilst I try and open the door :scare: Cheers Colin.

I'm sure I read that Vaseline had been used on seals etc to prevent them from sealing doors shut when frozen.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm or suggest an alternative if I'm wrong.

Dont think the door seals are proper rubber so I think a thin smear of vaseline wont do any harm , silicone spray is a good alternative as well and I've been using that on double glazing for years and it is fine with rubber seals

They shouldnt really stick though , it can be a sign of damp in the car either from a leak , heater matrix or simply from not enough use , might be worth fitting some of these in the car if its the latter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-Interior-Dehumidifier-Home-Portable-Damp-Mould-Mildew-Moisture-Remover-/350856011667?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&var=&hash=item51b0a5df93

Ok, thanks for the ideas, I have ordered some Gummi Pfledge so will give it a try, the car has not been used much and we did have a lot of rain, the de-humidifiers may be a good idea :) The worrying part is the actual window drop when the door opens, I have read that Vaseline damages the seals although I have used it on a previous car which I no longer own.

It's that time of the year.

Gummi Pfledge all the rubbers. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/gummi-pflege

Love the words.............. Gummi Pfledge........... :blush:

Is it the Trim Restorer or the Care Stick one to get.. :shrug:

It's the trim restorer, the stift / stick is the plastic bottle with the sponge applicator on the top.

It's that time of the year.

Gummi Pfledge all the rubbers. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/gummi-pflege

Love the words.............. Gummi Pfledge........... :blush:

Is it the Trim Restorer or the Care Stick one to get.. :shrug:

It's the trim restorer, the stift / stick is the plastic bottle with the sponge applicator on the top.

The care stick is very good too. Keeps the seals in really good condition. I've had one for a while and it lasts for ages :)