CAT5 - Home network... what is the point?

WINKJ

Hi chaps.

I have recently taken the dive and purchased my first house. It has CAT5 running throughout and I am not really sure of the value it can add. I am rather adept to networking/technical stuff (or so I thought!) but still struggle to see the value in it.

My original thought was to plug my router into a switch, which has connected into it, an XBOX, PS3 and PC. This then would be fed through the CAT5 around the house. BUT, I do not think it will be possible to feed Audio/Video around the house over the CAT5, which brings me to my original question, what's the point! If it is just for cabled internet into devices, surely wireless is up to similar standards nowadays?

pretty unsure of how to get the most value from it to be honest! if there is any to be had,

if this house is a recent new build - the developer gets extra brownie points under what is known as Code for Sustainable Homes - and home office forms part of this

to be honest this part is a bit outdated as the technology has now outstripped the politicians :wacko:

Wired connections are much better than wireless for latency and throughput and is far more secure than wireless.

To get the most from it you could use your pc to stream media all over your house to your consoles or other devices.

Additionally you could use the cat5 for home automation in different rooms with the right controllers. You can also run power over cat5 to devices in remote areas without the need for electrical cabling, such as cctv

There is a lot you can do with it. Just depends on if you have a real requirement.

• Like 3

The idea for CAT5 ports are;

Have a host I.e. PC/Media Centre (Nas drive) - with 3rd party software on it, you can stream to all the devices that are plugged into the CAT5 (Xbox, TV, Multiple PC's laptops etc.) It just allows a connection and a LAN between all the devices :)

Guys just replying quickly on my phone, will check out properly tomorrow.

One question, does that mean you still need a device such as xbox, ps3 connected locally to the tv. There is no way of running consoles via a switch over cat5 to any tv in the house? In the same way a nas/hd/pc would work? Also, I couldn't for example, put my of up stairs and connect it to the cat5, then be able to access it on my tv... It needs to be connected locally via HDMI?

Guys just replying quickly on my phone, will check out properly tomorrow.

One question, does that mean you still need a device such as xbox, ps3 connected locally to the tv. There is no way of running consoles via a switch over cat5 to any tv in the house? In the same way a nas/hd/pc would work? Also, I couldn't for example, put my of up stairs and connect it to the cat5, then be able to access it on my tv... It needs to be connected locally via HDMI?

Hey Bud,

#1 You need a DLNA Supported TV, Now you can either have your CAT5 Going into that (I've not done that, but I imagine you need to download an app or something, along with a client on your PC to be able to stream media from your PC to your TV) or You have a little media center (Or a NAS Drive) that then goes into your TV.

PC ----> Media Center ----> TV.

If you have an xbox, you can use that as your 'media centre'. Can stream from your pc to your xbox.

Hope that helps.

For tv you have a couple of people give you the answer. You need extra devices at each end.

For console same principle you can use the same extenders but apart from the potential loss of video quality I'd be really concerned over the input lag you would get... The screen could be quite a bit behind what actions you put into the controller and if you play online that could be a huge disadvantage.

I considered CAT5e through when we were rewiring but I didn't have the time and I ended up using 200Mbps home plugs which were more than adequate for my needs today but I may regret not putting in the structured further down the line.

Streamed music/video/automation/voice/home working are the main benefits I see today what's around the corner is anyone's guess

Edited by Fodder

I'm actually in the process of getting a DLNA amp for my house, so can I plug it in at yours :lol:

There are benefits as stated above, and gives you options depending on how techy you want your house.

I would have thought you'd be able to do a mitt use of things with CAT 5, music, gaming, tv, probably house automation too.

So it doesn't seem taking image/audio over CAT5 via the use of adapters is a great thing to do with latency and quality.

Thanks for all the answers regarding this guys, really helpful! :thumbs:

one more question! :) is it possible to have devices connected over the cat5 on the internet too. The reason I asks is that: Router plugs into the openreach port in the house, which is seperate to the CAT5 network. how do I link the two together? there isn't a cat5 port close to the openreach port which is in my lounge.

So it doesn't seem taking image/audio over CAT5 via the use of adapters is a great thing to do with latency and quality.

one more question! :) is it possible to have devices connected over the cat5 on the internet too. The reason I asks is that: Router plugs into the openreach port in the house, which is seperate to the CAT5 network. how do I link the two together? there isn't a cat5 port close to the openreach port which is in my lounge.

Audio and media streaming isn't an issue. Even using an extender for tv isn't but video games could be depending on your use. If it's for streaming then not a prob but actual gaming would suffer.

As for connecting your internet to your home network you would need a switch or router.

Audio and media streaming isn't an issue. Even using an extender for tv isn't but video games could be depending on your use. If it's for streaming then not a prob but actual gaming would suffer.

As for connecting your internet to your home network you would need a switch or router.

I have got both a switch and router. my problem is that the router has to be connected into the openreach phone line. then how do you connect the router to the cat5 as the points aren't near each other.

on you openreach modem/router how many Ethernet ports as it got ?

on my Virgin media modem it as 1 in and 4 out.

so you could connect 1 cat5 cable into one of the out ports then on the other end u connect a switch, depending on your switch it could have another 4,8,16 or more out ports.

simple example >

modem/router

port 1 - desktop pc

port 2 - 4 port switch - xbox360 - smart tv - blu-ray player - ps3 (all four connect to the switch)

port 3 - empty

port 4 - empty

hope that helps :)

on you openreach modem/router how many Ethernet ports as it got ?

on my Virgin media modem it as 1 in and 4 out.

so you could connect 1 cat5 cable into one of the out ports then on the other end u connect a switch, depending on your switch it could have another 4,8,16 or more out ports.

simple example >

modem/router

port 1 - desktop pc

port 2 - 4 port switch - xbox360 - smart tv - blu-ray player - ps3 (all four connect to the switch)

port 3 - empty

port 4 - empty

hope that helps :)

yes thanks it does,

the main problem I have is that the BT Openreach port is in the lounge, all of my CAT 5 Cabling comes back to a cupboard upstairs (which is where I could host a media centre and send it over CAT5 throughout the house) which also has an ADSL point. Therefore can I plug my router into the ADSL point in the cupboard upstairs or does it have to be the BT Openreach port in the lounge... Hope this makes sense

:lol:

I am making some progress due to all of these answers!!

It's all linked, so anything can plug in anywhere. My BT hub has one cable that goes to a switch behind the TV, that has 360/PS3/AVR/RPi plugged into it, and one cable goes out of that upstairs to another switch that has the PC and NAS plugged into it.

It's all linked, so anything can plug in anywhere. My BT hub has one cable that goes to a switch behind the TV, that has 360/PS3/AVR/RPi plugged into it, and one cable goes out of that upstairs to another switch that has the PC and NAS plugged into it.

Great, thanks guys. Just drawing it all out now I have this input. I am not going to be gaming online so will use HDMI to cat5 connectors for the video/audio.

Would it be possible to use a switch to feed multiple devices to multiple tv's. For example, if I have a video/Audio image for PC and Xbox converted to run over cat5 pluged Into a switch. Which then goes off to the lounge and bedroom, can I see my pcscreen in both the bedroom and lounge once I convert the image back to HDMI from cat 5 and into the tv.

Not sure if I switch can be used for audio/video over cat5 in the same way it can for Internet

Great, thanks guys. Just drawing it all out now I have this input. I am not going to be gaming online so will use HDMI to cat5 connectors for the video/audio.

Would it be possible to use a switch to feed multiple devices to multiple tv's. For example, if I have a video/Audio image for PC and Xbox converted to run over cat5 pluged Into a switch. Which then goes off to the lounge and bedroom, can I see my pcscreen in both the bedroom and lounge once I convert the image back to HDMI from cat 5 and into the tv.

Not sure if I switch can be used for audio/video over cat5 in the same way it can for Internet

CAT5 Won't act as Monitor cable. It's just a network lead that spreads your internet around your house.

For example, you if you play the movie on your PC it wont just appear on your TV.

http://xbmc.org/

That there is the client you install on your PC, acts as a server, you point it to your files (Movies etc /my documents / movies )

The best way to describe it is to say my setup.

-I Have my BT Homebub that connects to my PC.

-I then have a Little Android Media Centre next to my downstairs TV. (I don't have a DLNA TV) This is plugged into the TV with a HDMI lead.

-The box can run off WIFI or CAT5 (Ethernet)

-I downloaded that software onto the PC, pointed to the direction of my movies.

-Then on the Media Box, I downloaded the same client. Then with a little setting up, I can point it to my network (Anything on the CAT5) and allow access to my PC's folders (The the client on the PC is pointing to)

-Then on my TV I can choose through a list of movies to play.

Now essentially, If I was to setup that box to each TV in the house, I'd be able to choose from a different film on each TV at the same time. (I've not done it, but there is no reason why not)

With the DLNA Supported TV's i'm afraid I've not played with one, so I can't tell you how to get them pointing to your PC's folders.

Hope this helps.

Try researching HDBase-T. HD video, 100mb Ethernet, audio & power over cat5e/6. Not cheap at present, but watch the space.

Its the sort of technology that will allow you to have your Xbox/PlayStation, sky box, blu ray, freeview box, CCTV server etc all in one place and then be able to view any one of them in any room.