MOT failure -- opinions?

RatedR

So my 57 plate Zed failed it's MOT today. Not entirely unexpected as I knew the front pads were due to be changed but theres two failures that I really know nowt about and as I've been quoted the thick end of £1200 just for those it'd be good to get some input!

1) Some time in the last fortnight the offside rear fog lamp and indicator have been knocked slightly inside the bumper. Don't know if someones backed into me or what, bumper itself doesn't show any damage and the lamps still work, but it's failed on the unit being insecure.

Now, the garage has said the only option is to fit a new rear bumper shell and spray it - a £500+ job! No other way to get at this fitting and secure it?

2) Exhaust failed on leak of exhaust gases and excess exhaust noise - recommendation is for a new intermediate pipe and rear silencer + fittings = £760.

Car has had a full main dealer SH (I'm the second owner) and this place is the only one for miles near me so wary to take it elsewhere. But does the first issue sound legit? And is the price 'on-point' for the second issue?

Any feedback appreciated at this stage. Pulling my hair out at this!

does a standard nissan mid pipe and back box really cost £760 fitted? for a mere £100 more you could an all singing all dancing, cat back true dual Invidia exhaust... i know which one i'd rather!

saying that, scorpion is a great replacement for standard, and only costs what is it these days? £380?

Cheers all. I'm in Leeds and used the Evans Halshaw Nissan near the city centre. Not so near to you CS but the prices on your site are a bit of an eye opener! I don't know as much as I should, I admit that :/

The full MOT refusal list is ;

Offside rear fog lamp & Offside rear direction indicator insecure -- replace rear bumper shell and spray -- £505

Nearside and offside front brake pads less than 1.5mm thick -- £121

Offside rear brake pads less than 1.5mm thick -- £181

Rear exhaust has leak of exhaust gases and noise in excess of standard silencer -- intermediate pipe & silencer -- £763

These are parts and labour prices. Can't help feeling that I'm getting rinsed a bit! Car is back at home for now without the work done so I can try and get a look at the bumper in the light tomorrow.

i take it these prices are in yen or zimbabwe dollar or something :yawn:

Rofl. :lol: You'd think so wouldn't you. I would say you are getting rinsed a lot by that garage RatedR. If your exhaust has really had it then I'd take this as a blessing and just upgrade to stainless steel as the Cougar Store offered. No more problems with that then ever!. B)
  • Like 1

I highly recommend ebc yellow stuff pads from Mitz. Fantastic value for money. I bought a set from Mitz 15k miles ago and they are still looking good. Used on track about 5 or 6 times and a few spirited drives ;)

• Like 3

In all fareness mot testers are not aloud to remove anything whilst testing the car, you could always duck tape the light in tight thats that problem solved, new exhaust £450 and it will sound better and new pads all round. I would take it somewhere else tho there rates are rediculous. Good luck sorting it out.