computer wont turn on

jumping350

Open the case up... can you see any lights illuminated on the motherboard? If not then your PSU has most likely blown.

Order a new one online... you should be able to get one for under £25. Or if you have any work colleagues you could borrow one off, its a 10 minute job to swap out (4 screws in the back, and then just unplug all the plugs.)

Open the case up... can you see any lights illuminated on the motherboard? If not then your PSU has most likely blown.

Order a new one online... you should be able to get one for under £25. Or if you have any work colleagues you could borrow one off, its a 10 minute job to swap out (4 screws in the back, and then just unplug all the plugs.)

Forgot about that, check the LED on your motherboard (if you have one) is lit.

If it's a gaming pc with high spec then u need to get at least a 650watt with 30amps or more on the 12v rail and not a cheapo ebay one either,

OCZ/corsair seem decent brands, i have a 750 corsair one cost me close to £70 tho

think this is mine - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-TX750V2-Enthusiast-Series-Bronze/dp/B004O0P9VC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382907491&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair+750

shot up in price tho :blush:

The cheap power supplies may have a certain wattage rating but won't provide the power efficiently or regularly. There's an an 80 plus certification to show how efficient a power supply, stick to one with a certification or a well known brand if you can.

Could be the 5v standby power has failed either in the PSU or on the motherboard. This is required for the soft start switch that turns on the computer. I once had a motherboard that had this issue as some of the capacitors on the standby rail had failed preventing the switches from starting the PC.

If you can find the pin out for the PSU you could check the 5v standby rail output with a multi meter or check the voltages on the power switch connector on the motherboard.