The Embarrassing "Reversing Into's" Thread...

chubbster

Used to have the last generation Passat. It had an electronic handbrake and although you thought it was engaged, occasionally it would roll past you as you got out of the car on an incline. :scary: Panick stations as you tried to get back into the car and stamp on the foot brake before it hit anything. Even more scary VW new about the fault and had a code number for it. Something to do with the Engine Management System thinking the car was on a flat service and overriding the electronic brake :scary: .Give me a cable handbrake anyday!

What is it then? Cos it ain't a van :shrug:

Well I has this conversation with a few days ago agree its not a van. Generally referred to as a jeep which is wrong too. Some good points where made like we call trucks lorrys but we would still say truck for a lorry too. It shouldn't be a truck since its smaller than a van. Pick up is technically right but who says that here. Yes we have some sad conversations.

Actually who cares call it a shoe if you want :lol:

So it's a pick up TRUCK then :lol:

Probably. Im wrong but still wouldn't call it a truck. Like I said though does it matter?

Only when you contact your insurance company because you just reversed into it. Yayyyy - thread's back on track again. Go meee Go meee :yahoo::dance:

• Like 2

I'm afraid that reversing appears to be my Achilles heel:

My father was head of the East Surrey Police Traffic Department many years ago. When we swapped our cars over on the driveway the procedure was always the same - he would back off in one direction.. then I would go in the other. Not in this particular day however. You can guess the rest and the reaction of his colleagues down in Godstone :lol: It was on a par with the reaction when I was caught speeding by the officer who taught me how to drive (which was in itself a miracle because I was driving a clapped out Hillman Minx at the time).

I was due to part exchange my very embarrassing brown british car for my first Alfa - an Alfasud ti. On the morning I was due to make the exchange I backed into a concrete post - strictly speaking I scraped the back wing against a concrete post. Actually the Alfa guys were quite understanding about it - in a "falling about laughing" kind of way. We came to an "understanding".

I won't bore you any more but backing into an ex Mungo Jerry piano that was being restored in our integral garage (removal of psychedelic paint and flowery wallpaper); using the weapon that was my Mum's Daf 44; was one of my finer moments. That was the classic wrong pedal panic/brain won't work scenario. I'll end it there.

Residents of Surrey will be pleased to hear that going forwards I seem to be fine B)

I used to have an old Toyota Corolla - worth about £300 :wacko:

it was parked up outside the house

A truck (30 tonne tipper type) reversed up to it and parked, driver got out walked past it up to a building site nearby, returned 10-15mins later, walked past the car again.........you know where this is going don't you

put it in reverse and drove over the top of my precious......

he knocked on the house door and was very apologetic.................but he did say ------ "it HAD good brakes"

I know a bloke who reversed into a bin on the pavement outside a shop in Nottingham,

The alleged incident took place when the Astra Van in question was parked outside a shop to unload - after unloading the shop owner suggested that "if you park just up there on the pavement" indicating a spot 20 or 30 yards further back up the road" the traffic wardens will leave you alone, but don't leave it there as the pavement is so narrow"

This bloke looks up the pavement sees nothing jumps into the Van checks the mirrors - sees nothing - into reverse and BANG looks round and sees nothing? Looks forwards to see his work colleague almost doubled over laughing!

Gets out and has a look - one 3' high council bin (used to be firmly bolted to the ground) just behind the Van - who's rear window happens to be 3'2" from the ground :doh:

Work colleague then asks the question - O yes he asked "Didn't you see it then"?

O yer I hit it on fecking purpose!!! :rant:

Result -

Astra Van - 1 hardly noticeable scratch to rear bumper

Bin - Write Off and no longer bolted to the ground

Council - Errr we couldn't find a number to report it and had forgotten the whole thing until this thread :blush:

i know a bloke who not long after passing his test was in a multi story car park looking for a space, had just passed one then thought "that will do i wont find a better one!" so stuck it in reverse and went for it only to back into the front of the car behind.... minor damage to car but very dented pride and it was a busy car park with lots of onlookers..

Which reminds me - I had just bought a 'lovely' Vauxhall Cavalier Commander. I'd had it for a couple of days and was really chuffed with it. We were going on our family holiday the next day, so I drove into town to get some last minute stuff, parked in an on-street parking bay, locked the car and walked away.

As I was walking away I turned (as you do) to look back at my lovely new car, only to see a dirty great big old delivery lorry (or was it a truck?) reverse straight into my driver's door, stoving it in completely. Aaaaargh. I don't think I'm quite over that one yet - 25 years ago.

I still have no idea why he did it.

I used to leave it in gear but my HB seems much better since I had my brakes upgraded.

Don't know why it feels better as the handbrake is completely separate from your normal brake calipers. The brake shoes sit inside the drum on the rear. Only think that I can think of is that you new rear discs have better friction on the internals(if you replaced your discs that is)

Yep I'm aware of that, I think it's something to do with the new discs as they came without the hole in the back for the handbrake calibration (or whatever) which had to be drilled in, whatever the reason the handbrake only raises a fraction of the previous distance but grips a lot better.

Reversed into a flint wall in Cornwall after only passing my test a few weeks previous. I was in my dads Van, so I wasn't used to the length of the vehicle. Although during that same week in Cornwall I managed to crash into the back of another car whilst entering the junction of a roundabout. Dad wasn't too pleased when I brought the van back with a few dents and bruises.

I think about 2 months later I then decided to drive the side of his van into a wall (cutting the corner too tight). It was only a 2mph thing whilst maneuvering out of a tight lane. But again dad still wasn't very happy that I was in the processing of wrecking his Van!!

The wife. Few years ago we were passing through Grimsby and I had quickly pulled over when we saw a garage as she wanted something but can`t remember what it was now. Anyway she got out and went around the back of the car to cross the road and after a moment or so I thought I`d better park a little better and started to slowly reverse only to notice as the car gently hit her that she was still standing there waiting to cross. Funny but she`s never seemed able to forget about it !

• Like 1