bp ultimate?

apcarter

yes i know this is another fuel question. but thought i ask any ways. i know bp ultimate is 97 ron and v-power is 99/98. but this is my question is it safe to run the Z on bp ultimate as i have little choice when i get bk to work as the nearist shell garage to me with v-power is 40 minute drive away.

be many thanks if any one could help answer this one for me?

There are so few sites for petroleum companies to load Super unleaded these days that in most cases its all the same, I see on a daily basis, Shell, Murco, Sainsbury, etc etc etc come into our site to load, its the magic of marketing if you think its all different.

There are so few sites for petroleum companies to load Super unleaded these days that in most cases its all the same, I see on a daily basis, Shell, Murco, Sainsbury, etc etc etc come into our site to load, its the magic of marketing if you think its all different.

Hmmmm which terminal you at mate, I plan loads for Texaco.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Hmmmm which terminal you at mate, I plan loads for Texaco.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Esso Fawley site.

Echoing the above, lots of adverts where people say 'I only use Shell VPower' thinking that is a selling point. On one hand those that believe the marketing will help it sell, everyone else who knows there really is naff all difference in most super unleaded brands will not. Shell just happens to have good branding right now...

Exactly. I mean lets think about it logically. Does Shell get first dibs on the good stuff, or is it more likely that the UK is supplied with fuel from distributors in exactly the same format within which each company adds their own additives then sells it on forecourts? Can these additives substantially change the power of the fuel? Course not, otherwise there would be huge claims all over the forecourts such as 'proven to be better than BP' - which there isn't.

Does Tesco drill for and convert its own fuel? Or does it buy it from the same place BP or Shell or anyone else buys it from? Its 99% the same stuff on the whole - the rest are company specific additives and some very good marketing.

Unless you purchase your Super from a forecourt with a very high turnover of product, it is more than likely that the Super you put in your tank has actually evaporated so much on it's "light ends" that, it is in fact no longer 97/98 RON but much less.

I spent 18 months using Shell Vmax but was getting peeved with the price difference between Tesco momento at average £1.38

And the local shell garages from £1.44 to £1.46.

After a couple of weeks on Tesco (and clocking up the miles going to events) I had a few problems with the car.

Nothing to do with the fuel but a sticking waste gate and fast racing revs taking an age to come down after gear change in traffic.

Intercooler was extreamly hot.

Don't know why but I went back to shell and could be shere coincidense but they car did not feel so lumpy.

This was pointed out by a mate who often comes out to the meets.

I am fully aware that the waste gate sticking is purely Mechanical and fuel would not make a difference, but overall it really does handle better. Remember guys I am not a grease monkey but slowly learning thanks to peeps on here:)

Same loading pipeline fills up all the different branded tankers, just bp/shell put clever marketing on it then charge you extra. would hardly be worth a refinery having multiple set ups for all the different companies it supplies when its all basically the same. Just make it to the top spec then it covers all the lesser ones, much simpler and needs less storage tanks and plant etc

many thanks 370mike. was a little worried likes. only had the car 3 weeks now and at the min always run on shell. but if thats the chase makes my life so much easyer.

I started off running mine only on V-power then Nitro or whatever its called now, then out of necessity one day had to top up with Murco Super unleaded, after that I tried the BP ultimate, then Tesco Momentum &lastly Sainsbury's. I've not noticed any difference in performance, economy, engine noise etc. etc. between any of the fuels. Now I just fill up with whatever's nearest when I need it. Much easier than hunting down Shell stations!

• 3 weeks later...

For some months I have been doing my own little consumer test between Shell V-Power and Tescos Momentum. My findings may not be reproduceable by anyone else, but they are my honest findings...

I have used Tescos Momentum for over 9 years in Z cars with no ill-effects, but I've always had a nagging thought in my mind that Shell should be better for my car. So, for a few months I've been travelling a little further afield to buy Shell.

..Well, to get to the point, the result is that I've been experiencing acceleration lag when I put my foot down with Shell in the tank. As soon as I switch back to Tescos the 'flat spot' disappears and the car accelerates just fine - smooth as anything. I know it's only a small point, but it's significant to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Like I put b4. I went a month on Tesco after nearly 2 years on Shell.

The car did not like it, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

I went back to shell and the car seemed to come alive again.

I presume my car was addicted to shell.

Bit like me and Nescafe!

Anything else I can tell straight away :)

Like I put b4. I went a month on Tesco after nearly 2 years on Shell.

The car did not like it, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

I went back to shell and the car seemed to come alive again.

I presume my car was addicted to shell.

Bit like me and Nescafe!

Anything else I can tell straight away :)

Ah, there we are then - I can't stand anything other than the strongest espresso made from freshly ground beans - mystery solved. If you like Nescafe, use Shell, but if you like your coffee strong as hell, go for Tesco Momentum every time. It feels good when you make a breakthrough.