Another North Sea crash...

MrsNiki

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-23821083

I've been following the news for a few hours, any tigers will be distraught over the news, a Super Puma L2 has ditched (not the 225 that has ditched previous) and 15 people have been rescued safe, 3 missing.

My heart goes out to all those missing, their families and friends, and i hope that they get found soon, a devastating piece of news that i know wil touch the hearts of many

I fly on the Sikorsky S92's, but in all honesty, no helicopter is indestructible, and it devastates me when i hear the things that have gone wrong :(

No rotating bit of equipment is free from issues, its a risk we all take, but it really does bring it close to home when something does go disastrously wrong :(

yeah we all know the risks but this has happened too much in the last 4/5 years. I am definatly more relaxed on a s92 but your right none are fool proof. I am always glad to get off the things.

I think i am going to need some valum from the medic for flying home this time lol

I feel for the fam of the guys lost. I hear they have called off the search.

Yeah, the coast guard have called if off through the dark :-(

I have just had to ring the partner of a guy offshore and reassure her that he will be ok on an S92, its hard not to wonder why all of this is going on, and it maybe not related but last month we had to go back to flying on Super Puma L2's because 'our S92 mechanic was off sick'.... one mechanic for our S92 in CHC... Makes you wonder about staffing levels and helicopter maintenance

(this is my opinion only, nothing to do with anything else)

Yeah and with the past events they have upped the amount of inspections that need to be performed.

With the lack of choppers due to the ec225's being grounded the other have been putting in more flying hours to compensate. The things are always going technical

I am sure there will be a few folk giving it up after this one.

One things for sure Eurocopter will be finished

• Like 1

Not again? My thoughts always revolve around the guys and girls on here who work out there when this happens. Unfortunately it seems some have lost their lives this time, why does this seem to happen so regularly? My thoughts go out to all the families of those whose are missing.

Yep 4 confirmed dead now :( RIP to the 3 lads and one lady that lost their lives going to work. Thoughts are with the friends and family they left behind.

Its about time the oil companies, Rig owners and helicoptor operators put their hands in their MASSIVE pockets, scrap all these old sh**ers and buy some decent choppers. A fleet of S92s would be great. As said, they all have their problems, but they have a better reputation and are so much more comfortable to be in. Unfortunately I hardly ever get to travel in them. All the others are just small, cramped and uncomfortable, as well as still not being safe after 2 - 3 years of extra inspections, modifications etc....

I don't think it'll stop me going to work, but I love aircraft and flying, and sometimes enjoy the chopper to work but I don't think I'll be able to relax at all anymore.....its just getting too common.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Sad to see people dying just on the way to work to earn some money to support themselves and most likely a family back home :( , I know we have a few offshore workers on the club too so hope its none of our bunch.

Edited by cs2000

Absolutely devastating, it's an awful thought to think that lads and lasses who go away to work on a bomb in the middle of the sea in order to make a better life for themselves can't rely on their mode of transport to keep them alive.

They have now grounded all L2 Super Pumas and alot of platforms will be dowmanning to cope with the reduced choppers running.

I've been working offshore for 7 years now and even though there is the fact that on average one chopper per year goes down, you just have to bury it to the back of your mind. Luckily my rota seats me in a S92 so I can kind of rest assured, but there is always the risk of these choppers being overworked due to the shortage created by this grounding.

The one thing I know is that if they start any of the 225s and L2s flying again in the future, anyone who doesn't refuse to fly wants their heads looking at!

Worrying times, but I'll still be at the heliport for my next trip. S92 or S76 only though please!

I was saddened to hear this too, very glad I go out on a boat! We see the rig transfer fly overhead every day.

It's no use to the families of the four, but at least the pilot managed the impact and the safety gear allowed the majority to survive.

• Like 1

Can't think of anything worse than having to get on a helicopter all the time for work. I have enough trouble coming to terms with how many accidents there are every day on my drive to work across the infamous M62, without having to also overcome my fear of flying. Don't get me wrong, put me on a big airliner, not really a problem, especially once it's going, but any small aircraft and I'm not good!

I feel for the friends and families of those lost. My wifes uncle works on the rigs and she worries about him quite a bit.

Can't think of anything worse than having to get on a helicopter all the time for work. I have enough trouble coming to terms with how many accidents there are every day on my drive to work across the infamous M62, without having to also overcome my fear of flying. Don't get me wrong, put me on a big airliner, not really a problem, especially once it's going, but any small aircraft and I'm not good!

I feel for the friends and families of those lost. My wifes uncle works on the rigs and she worries about him quite a bit.

Damn sight more chance of dying on the M62 I should have thought mate.........it's like a game of fricking dodgems on the motorways.

In saying that after my naught boy course yesterday I was told the UK has the safest roads in terms of deaths and serious accidents