Possible New Member Introduction

Hi all,

My name is Ryan and I'm a 22 year old recently graduated aerospace engineering student. I currently own a Mk2 Mx5, which started out looking like this:

B4617087-3441-4B4B-8A96-422EB9521188.jpg

and now looks like this:

null_zpsef94913f.jpg?t=1371756900

null_zps965a2960.jpg?t=1371756590

Here's my 11 page build diary if you're interested - I've always tried to pictorially document everything, oil changes and all.

http://www.mx5nutz.c...ic=71593&page=1

Anyway, I love MX ownership and it has never failed to put a smile on my face in my many years of ownership. They are just so amazing on the twisties.

I was originally planning on S'Cing the Mx, but realistically it's going to cost 2k+ for 200 odd bhp. Then for the same money (and selling/breaking the MX) I could afford a decent Z.

Also, MX's are now becoming so cheap that it's attracting a shitty crowd and it's rather ruining it all attracting the 'drift kidz' painting them matt black, welding the diff and slamming them on eBay coilovers.

Of course I'm sure you've noticed the same with the 350, when did they suddenly get so cheap?! So much car for the money.

Moreover, I've now moved from Cornwall (where the roads are amazing and twisty) to Bristol, so I'm no longer really enjoying the Mx for what it's for. Maybe I'm getting old, but sometimes I would like something a little more refined.

Therefore, what's the next logical step-up from a Mx?

- RX8? Don't want to live in constant fear with the fragile rotary.

- TT? GF had one, drove like a normal hatchback, not sporty & so heavy. May as well of had a modern Golf GTi.

- S2000? It's a serious contender. Like a grown up Mx5. But I think I've done the whole convertible thing now and I don't think the S2000 is different enough to the Mx to warrant the massively increased running costs.

- Z4? See above.

Anyway, what were you considering as well as a Z? Why did you pass them up in favour of the Z? I'd be interested on hearing others rationelle.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the wealth of information available on here and hope to be joining you soon!

EDIT: Ha, accidently hit post. Ignore and wait for the mega edit!

Edited by RyanT

alright mate welcome you will get all the answers you need from this forum a good bunch of guys here. I was in the same boat as you i had a scooby before the z a big jap car lover and always loved the 350z but i was torn when i sold my scooby it was beetween the s2000 and the bmwz4 but i am so glad i went with the z.trust me mate you will love it they are great cars to drive and to have a lot of fun in with plenty of scope for tuning if you want.I know what you mean about the mx5 my missus owns one and she loves it same car you had great car for the bends lol and she wont part with it, but your right they are getting the wrong crowd now and coming to cheap. i owned a audi tt quattro 225bhp before the scooby good car but not exciting enough so i would defo go with the z mate you wont regret it.

Ekona will love this...!!!! :stir:

Ops, I hope I've not broken any rules. I did have a read of them before posting, promise!

Thanks for the reply & welcome! Good, thats what I wanted to hear! I know it won't be as go-kart like and thrilling as the Mx (certainly within legal speeds) but I'm hoping the rest of the package makes up for this. Plus realistically, less than 10% of the time I'm driving the car will be driving for the sheer thrill of it so it's not so bad.

Edited by RyanT

Welcome,

Expect bigger fuel bills and tyre bills. In terms of performance the mx doesnt stand a chance against the 350z.

In terms of fun, I'd say pretty similar if you disregard the extra costs.

To make the zed nibble and much more precise to drive will cost a fair bit more than it would for the mx5 which is pretty much a decent trackday weapon out the bag.

Out of all the cars you mention without being bias, the s2000(if the later model) and 350z are close contenders. The s2000 will be much less practicle though and not as comfy i'd imagine.

Edited by Neilp

Ekona will love this...!!!! :stir:

Ops, I hope I've not broken any rules. I did have a read of them before posting, promise!

Thanks for the reply & welcome! Good, thats what I wanted to hear! I know it won't be as go-kart like and thrilling as the Mx (certainly within legal speeds) but I'm hoping the rest of the package makes up for this. Plus realistically, less than 10% of the time I'm driving the car will be driving for the sheer thrill of it so it's not so bad.

No don't think you broken any rules mate...Just Ekona got a "bee in his bonnet" about "Pics of Stock Cars"...have a look at the current thread on here... :scare: :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill

I considered a GTR of some description but all I could afford would have been older models, hadnt even considered the Zed but fell in love and bought the first one I saw, oops.

Will you be using it as a daily?

Neilp -

Yeah, I'm not too worried about running costs in terms of consumables - With it being such a lovely car I'd assume I'll be more than able to justify it all to myself.

I have taken my MX on track a few times and loved being able to keep on the heels of much more expensive machinery. However I don't think the Z would ever see a track, purely because things are much more expensive if it all goes wrong! As long as it evokes a grin on a B-road I'm happy.

I'd agree with the S2000. Although I don't think I could justify the increased costs on something so comparable to the Mx. I'd say it'd cost at least x2 as much as the MX in most aspects and it's unlikely to be 2x the fun.

WhackyWill -

Ahh I just saw the thread, how strange!

flexib -

Ha, yes that's another that is a contender. But the Z is a bit more respectable and sensible which I think appeals as it'd be my only car (and daily). I'd want something that I would be embarrassed to (theoretically) pick the boss up in!

Edited by RyanT

Alreet!

Just get a 350z and be done with it. The others are just 2 seater sports cars, the Zed is like that old friend that makes you smile every time you get together. If it's not the wicked power then it's the noise it makes, and even if that doesn't satisfy you then the looks of approval/disgust/bewilderment will always put a smile on your face!

I was in the florists the other morning getting Mrs OV53 a bunch when I saw a bloke in his late 60s double back and start looking around the car, his wife patiently waiting for him to complete his inspection, after which he walked away with a puzzled look on his face. Obviously the lack of the 350z badge or a Nissan badge had sent him, but the sheer fact that he obviously liked the look of the car and took the time out of walking up thr street with his missus to walk around and try to figure out what it was just gave me a sense of pride that you wouldn't ordinarily get with any of the other cars you mentioned. It was just a shame that the bouquet took too long for me to get in the car and give it a little burst past him as I'd just fitted the Amuse exhaust about 15 minutes earlier!

So....yeah, get a Zed!

Of course I'm sure you've noticed the same with the 350, when did they suddenly get so cheap?! So much car for the money.

I've certainly noticed that we're getting loads of members who are buying a Zed and within a few months are selling them, yes, they are relatively cheap to buy and have above average reliability but can be expensive if they go wrong.

I had a healthy budget when I bought mine getting on for 7 years ago and I certainly did consider other cars. In the end though it was down to a TT or a 350Z but my dealing with the Audi dealer in Chester was pretty negative, long waiting list, baffling range of options, nothing off for cash and in general I took a dislike to the couldn't care less if I bought one or not from the salesman. I should also add that my wife had a brand new TT back in 2002 which had numerous electrical problems. So, I bought a Zed, got a pretty decent trade in and haven't regretted it for a minute. In fact, I liked it so much I bought my wife one :lol: .

Pete

I think out of all the cars you listed there I would only consider the S2000 but even then I've had an EP3 with the similar K20 engine and you had to drive the tits off it to get it to go anywhere! My old man had one when they first came out and they are very low and stiff in stock form too. 350Z makes a great daily, big, comfy, decent power and not to mention the looks and noise they make!

Having owned several, including the s2000 and the 350z I would say the next logical step is which ever one you enjoy driving the most. Everyone has personal preferences, and you'll find that because this is a 350z forum you'll tend to find most peoples opinions are biased towards the zed. All the ones you mentioned have their benefits and disadvantages. Me personally I found the S2000 the better car for precision, and fun, but the zed was a better get cruiser. The s2000 is very comfortable and the running costs better than the zed. But the zed was better on insurance. Zed was good for torque, stook was good for working the gears. Like I said, go drive them and decide for yourself. With regards to the rx8 I've been looking at them and the rebuild can be done for about 2.2k so if you pick one up for 2k you're still cheaper thana zed or a s2k

Anyway, what were you considering as well as a Z? Why did you pass them up in favour of the Z? I'd be interested on hearing others rationelle.

Hi and welcome!

I actually started off looking at E46 M3`s. I briefly considered a Z4 and even a Boxster but dismissed them as where I live they are common as muck. I see hundreds everyday. Thats not to say they are bad cars, but i prefer to have something a little different rather than the same as everyone else.

I went to a garage to look at a nice M3 and saw a 350z Roadster sitting there and immediately changed my mind about the M3 and decided to get a 350z. A bit of research and I decided that not only did I want a 350z Roadster, but I wanted the later 313 model which had more power etc. Unfortunately there were only 250 of these sold in the UK, and looking on Autotrader there were only 3 for sale within 100 miles of my house and 1 of them had just been sold. Needless to say I ended up buying one of the remaining ones.

Other cars I briefly considered was RX8 - too thirsty and I wasnt sure on the styling, a 996 - again, nice car but didnt have the rarity of the 350z and the other car which came very close was the Z4M. On a rarity level it was on par with the 313 roadster, but performance was virtually the same and the Z4M cost quite a bit more then the 313 Roadster did at the time. I also actually prefered the styling of the 350z roadster over the Z4M.

Either way, what ever you decide to go for, you`ll have loads of fun choosing and looking. Oh, and dont forget to check the insurance first. After getting reasonable quotes for an M3 I assumed a 350z would be similar. I was shocked to find it was nearly double the cost for me to insure! eek!

• Like 1

hadnt even considered the Zed but fell in love and bought the first one I saw, oops.

I'm so glad i wasn't the only one who did this! Wasn't even considering selling my old car but saw a black zed and thought 'I'll have that!'

See so many newbies who take their time to consider every little thing, and i jumped in feet first and thought about it afterwards :lol:

Anyway welcome to the forum RyanT!