Noise cancelling headphones

MrsNiki

Nightshift is a bit on the slow side tonight, so i've been doing some reading up on over ear headphones as i fancy a decent set.

I know i definitely do not want the Beats by Dre type (false economy, cheap, rubbish sound compared to others at the same price), and am swaying towards Bose, particularly the QC15 noise cancelling ones. Does anybody have any experience with these, or recommend anything similar? The main use will be whilst travelling (train/plane mainly) and in the house.

Open to idea's, and i'll be travelling through Aberdeen airport next week so will nip into the Dixon's travel and see if they have any on display i can get a listen to :)

I have spent a small fortune in the past few year on the inner ear type, and never found a good set, hence the switch to the big boys!

Have also been told to use Richer Sounds to buy my headphones from, anybody have experience of them?

Cheers guys, hope you can help :teeth:

Niki

I've been using the QC3's for awhile and can recommend them for travelling. Sound quality isn't as good as some other high-end earphones but the noise cancelling is the best in class.

I chose the QC3's over the QC15 because they felt lighter on my head particularly when wearing them for prolonged periods of time (long-haul). I'm a bit self-conscious pulling them out to use with my iPhone on the train commuting to work each day though.

Bose has recently announced the QC20 which is a "semi-in-ear" headphone which I'm keen to try out. It would certainly be better value for me as I would be comfortable using them everyday rather than them being limited to travel.

The Bose are excellent, I borrowed a mate's pair for my trip to Rome and it made all the difference on the flight. I didn't have any music running through them, just the noise cancelling ability made it so much more enjoyable.

As for buying, I'd just find the cheapest reputable place on the interweb and buy them from there, on a credit card.

I have the Bose AE2i (lower end of the range) and even these are brilliant. Good to fold down into a pocket or small bag if using them while on the move. Not as much deep bass as the beats but overall a more quality product I feel.

Big fan of Richer Sounds, I've bought nearly all my stuff from their over the years, for a couple of reasons. They stock stuff which is either end of line or a new model has come out, so some extremely big bang for your buck can be had. Their extended warranty is the only extended cover of its kind I would even look at. All other cover is a rip off, not this; free servicing, you get a free loaner unit, lasts for 5 years, plus other stuff all for about £10 or 10% - worth looking at if you do shop there, it's called Supercare. Customer service and staff knowledability in my many experiences have been great, non pushy sales team too. This isn't like going to get "advice" at PC world!

As for the actual headphones, not tried the Bose, but I did recently buy some headphones which I love. They're not noise cancelling, but they are noise isolating and I put them in at work all the time just to drown out the racket, you just need to trial the various buds which come with them for the snuggest fit. Best of all the sound is superb, particularly the soundstage, in my opinion. But buying headphones (like all hifi) is very personal, the sound I like, you might hate and vice versa, so I'd encourage you to demo any headphones you're thinking of spending decent money on. Try and take your own music device and listen to familiar music when you demo.

For what it's worth, I went for these, there also some other suggestions in the thread too. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/71336-need-headphones-look-no-further-get-these-sony-xba4ip/

Good luck, hope you find something you like as much as I like mine.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Goldring NS1000's have have found them excellent. Most of the guys on the race team that travel alot have the Bose, but at £300, i couldnt justify it. After some research on What Hifi, these Goldring's were 99% as good, and I got them for £60 from Superfi. Must admit, not tried the Bose, but Im very happy with what I have, and for £60, they were a bargain.

• Like 1

The Bose are excellent, I borrowed a mate's pair for my trip to Rome and it made all the difference on the flight. I didn't have any music running through them, just the noise cancelling ability made it so much more enjoyable.

As for buying, I'd just find the cheapest reputable place on the interweb and buy them from there, on a credit card.

Only you would sit there with head phones on with no music :lol:

Why would you where headphones and not listen to anything?

because it blocks out background noise and if you need quiet to concentrate - it works :thumbs:

If you are not listening to any music I find earplugs are slightly cheaper....

879E38A2-32A7-4DAE-A2AD-E5E40E9C937F-25595-00001A9BE0DF4A9F_zps0b3ff3f4.jpg

Although I do find this makes reading the newspaper slightly easier so maybe I am not best placed to judge going overboard :shrug:

C554A5A7-5BDD-4ADC-9AEE-57516D3CEE67-25724-00001A9CA81C79C4_zpsb296ac24.jpg

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1

Get into HMV and get some Premium Chambers by RZA. They were £250 and they're now £50 due to them being discontinued. Absolute bargain!

Or buy online here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WeSC-Chambers-RZA-Premium-Headphone/dp/B0071HJ7BI

Just bought these, thanks to Adrian, sound great and they have a jack point in the headset to change the cable should it become faulty, winning.

Ooooh, cheers for all the advice guys :D

Tempted by those premium chambers at £50, not gonna break the bank if i don't like them!!

Heard good stuff about the Goldrings too, both them and Bose seem to come out top in any discussions i've had about headphones.

Will let you kinow what i decide on :teeth:

Get into HMV and get some Premium Chambers by RZA. They were £250 and they're now £50 due to them being discontinued. Absolute bargain!

Or buy online here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WeSC-Chambers-RZA-Premium-Headphone/dp/B0071HJ7BI

Just bought these, thanks to Adrian, sound great and they have a jack point in the headset to change the cable should it become faulty, winning.

I must say that I'm a little disappointed at Adrian taking credit for this! :blink:

All he did was search for what I had posted and then pasted an alternative link! You could have done that yourself!

Thanks for the exhaust though Adrian, you deserve credit for that bro.... ;)

Tbh, I tried the 260 squid Dr dre bad boys and didnt sound any better than the ones I bought. Winning.

Not heard much good about the Beats by Dre ones at all.... Plus i don't wanna be labelled as someone who knows nothing about good music, like the majority of the kids that wear them!

My bro has the Goldrings and the Bose. Bose wins hands down......just costs loads more!

I have the QC3s.

Replaced the ear pads last year as the leatherette was starting to flake off.

The fact spares are available is a bonus as all the headphones I've had with leatherette earcups fail in this way eventually and make it look like you have black dandruff on and in your ears!