The Shark Build

Stutopia

Got to spend a few hours with her today, first job up dealing with some surface rust on the bonnet latch. It's been irritating me for a while, some wet and dry, kurust and stonechip sorted it out. The masking was deliberately slack, so I could get some paint on the opening's lip. This was followed by some clay bar work to remove overspray from passenger headlamp and bumper :lol:

IMG_6954.jpg_zpsccnnc5wp.png

Next up was adding some weight, she's just too dam light :lol: So a couple of kilos of silent coat went into the doors, boot and some bits of trim to try and dial down a little road noise and cut out rattles and resonating plastics.

IMG_6955_zpsq9iabjyn.jpg

Whilst the door cards were off I replaced the white speaker grille cloth (which was getting dirty) with some red. This matches my kicks, air freshener and even the stitching on my refurbished wheels. Well pleased :teeth:

IMG_6971_zpsvedcdtqx.jpg

All in all a fun day taking her to bits, didn't even snap a trim clip :yahoo:

• 2 months later...

Michellin has two L's mate ;)

Looks good :thumbs:

Doh! :lol:

Sorry Stu shouldn't laugh, ...was that Grundys spelling mistake or yours?! Come on own up. :dry::D

Actually just seen your post and it would seem it's Ceejays mistake. :D

(I thought it was double "l" as well though.)

Looks good :thumbs:

Doh! :lol:

Sorry Stu shouldn't laugh, ...was that Grundys spelling mistake or yours?! Come on own up. :dry::D

Actually just seen your post and it would seem it's Ceejays mistake. :D

(I thought it was double "l" as well though.)

It's only eBay Michellins with two Ls GM :lol:

Haha was pulling your leg...bet you googled it to double check :lol:

I checked three times when I ordered, a further three this morning and once again when I was looking for a Michelin man GIF :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Big thanks to Si (Mondo @ Hide N Seat) for this small but quality bespoke leather job - great service :thumbs:

My Zed is my daily and that means it gets commute use and occasional work trips away. Everyone knows that in the UK you should never be without your umbrella, regardless of season. Turning up soaked, is never a good look.

After my last cheapo umbrella broke I thought I might find somewhere more convenient for my new gentleman's umbrella. So I sent some measurements and the idea to Si, who understood what I was after and made suggestions for improvements, including the rather fetching red stitching.

Then he knocked these leather straps, with press studs, up for me.

IMG_7850_zpstvl4b55k.jpg

IMG_7847_zpsrrsut8f8.jpg

Which allowed me to do this :)

IMG_7852_zps6tg4tmob.jpg

The red fasteners are a bit too broad (my mistake), so I may have another look at getting something smaller but, other than that niggle, well chuffed with this smart little boot mod.

Thanks Si.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

This is a little mod I've been meaning to sort for ages. A while back I put in a shiny PAS tank but all it did was make the pump whine and I could never get it just right. The grubby OEM one went back in and has been there ever since. Not to be defeated, I picked up an OEM tank off eBay and sent it off to Ricey to do his dipping and painting magic.

IMG_8154_zpscuksuvw8.jpg

I'm delighted to see it in, as it was the last little cosmetic job in my now complete engine bay and it fits in nicely with the rest of the scheme.

IMG_8162_zpsfs0qwtly.jpg

I'm going to swap out the engine cover when the Zed eventually goes for something duller, this is one mod I will be keeping as a memento, one of my favourites. It always gets a comment when the bonnet is popped.

Good to see the forum calendar still getting turned over at my tech's when I went in to investigate some rear end knocking (loose drop link).

IMG_8148_zpsxpijyz5g.jpg

And in other news, sailed through the MOT :yahoo:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It was out 4 year anniversary on Tuesday, so I've only gone and treated her to a service.

4cptxLm.jpg

Also gave the polished plenum a spruce up whilst the cam covers were being done.

jhcpAs1.jpg

All work done at Grinspeed in Leyland, cracking service as usual and it's made the 4 years of ownership much more relaxing having a quality tech to look after her.

I've also got a more fun gift for her, once the bits come back from the paint shop. Pictures to follow once fitted.

• Like 1

Proper service done there looking at all the oils. B) Good job. :thumbs:

Although Stevie @ Grinspeed also carries the same quality oil, the fluids in shot are my own (not literally ;) ) sourced mainly from our quality traders. Oil from Opie and other genuine Nissan fluids and cam covers & gaskets from Clark Motorsport.

HKS air filter but no K&N oil filter, just the vanilla one?

An HKS oil filter came off but went OEM this time, might do K&N next time. I tend to mix it up, although I am curious to see if it has any impact at all on oil pressure.

I've been trying to get something done to the scratched centre console for ages. I've considered leather, flocking, alcantara but after a long chat with my local trimmer he reckoned that for the spend it'd require for him to do it to a standard he'd be happy with, I should go for paint and save myself a packet :lol:

I'm so glad I did. The finish is absolutely flawless. It's in colourcoded Gunmetal, but with a matt finish. I'm hopeful that matt won't be too much of a dust trap, but time will tell. It's no like I don't already keep a MF within reaching distance!

Didn't even scratch it fitting it :yahoo:

SX2yO8r.jpg

oSG9gs5.jpg

vJJfpw1.jpg

9uwHxA4.jpg

I originally intended to paint these myself, but after the hours I put in sanding off the OEM texture I couldn't face making a monkey's breakfast of the paint job. I'm really glad I didn't bother, I'd have spent a chunk on paint and lacquer and still not had a proper dust free area to paint or an oven to bake. Well worth going to the pros.

As usual for my painting needs, I used St Annes Bodywork Centre. If you're in this area and need paint, they are superb and well priced. Even got a little work in progress update :)

ISPKM64.jpg

• Like 4

Thinking of doing the same as my cubby door is scratched to fook. Prefer it without all the bobbles too, but will be a bitch to sand.

Torn between gloss black and a silver to match the other silver interior bits. As good as gloss black looks, i think it stands out too much and makes the rest of the car looks crap in comparison, whereas that silver just brings it out and highlights.

How much time and money did this take overall then so I have an idea? :thumbs:

Edited by Strudul