The Shark Build

Stutopia

My headlights have been a bit foggy at the top end since I bought her, I had a bit of a go with the Meg's kit and a drill about 6 months ago, but it didn't really get me very far.

IMG_3626_zpse301de26.jpg

It's been bugging me for ages, but i must admit I've been putting off having a go at them due to sheer terror of making a mess of the expensive light unit. Anyway, thanks to Wasso for some pointers and also making me believe it was going to be a nice easy 5 minute job. :thumbs:

To add to my already decent levels of fear it was also my first use of a DA, so I had to pop on my special brown underwear. Fortunately though, they came up a treat, well pleased and I wish I'd done it ages ago!

IMG_3632_zps882a8922.jpg

In addition to learning a bit about my DA and a bit about headlight restoration, I also learnt that you can't be too careful with latex. Just remember kids, rubber is no guarantee of protection and make sure you don't leave unwanted DNA behind. Always wear two pairs when you're out on a 'date'.

IMG_3628_zpse06f0d0c.jpg

• Like 1

Good job mate. What products did you use along with your DA?

Thanks! The menzerna power finish and the megs 7" soft buff pad. I wanted to use a 3 inch cutting pad but I don't have a 3" backing plate yet as they were out of stock. Think this just made it take longer and also require a greater amount of masking around the light! 7" is far too big for this job (ooh errr).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not done much, I can show :ninja:, for a while so I couldn't resist posting up, even though it's a boring mod. I got some good price sound deadening to try and help the speakers out inside the car.

IMG_3738_zps566ff9de.jpg

You can see I've expertly followed the precise contours of the boot mat :lol:

I have enough left over to do another boot mat size amount, so if anyone wants it, drop me a PM. No charge, except the post (which will be a few quid as it's quite a size).

• 3 weeks later...

Been a busy little Zed day today, firstly had a service at Grinspeed - top quality job as usual, can't rate them highly enough and I continue to learn and enjoy being able to hang around whilst the work is being done.

In addition to the service, had some goodies from Tarmac (excellent service as usual :thumbs: ) put in too. Some shiny weapon-r tanks to help my bay project along a bit.

IMG_3818_zps356b2995.jpg

IMG_3823_zpsd7eb258b.jpg

it's coming along nicely now I think, I might change out the samco intake for something more shiny though...

Last, but certainly not least, I popped in my new 14N boot divider, really pleased with this - thanks Ian :thumbs:

Div_zps9a02c90c.jpg

• Like 1

In other Zeditis news I went to see my man about finalising up my :ninja: project. Got a date booked in for June now, so just need to do some more legwork and then that should happen in due course. This will represent the end of my build project and me being cured of Zeditis.

Some shiny weapon-r tanks to help my bay project along a bit.

IMG_3818_zps356b2995.jpg

IMG_3823_zpsd7eb258b.jpg

Love the Weapon R Tanks, they make a huge difference. I have been considering some myself, extremely tempted my keysers lisitng.

Your bay is looking sweet!! Plenum and throttle body next?

Thanks! I think they're the logical conclusion, perhaps a powder coat would do the job nicely. Maybe paint the dipstick too.

The weapon r tanks are really nice bits of kit, if you can get some, I say do it!

• 3 weeks later...

Having finally lost my patience with the intermittent EML for the number two O2 sensors on my Berk's HFCs, I emailed Paul at TDI North to see if they could delete them. Paul advises a delete of the number two sensors was possible, but without the existing map from the previous owner's modding, he would have to remap it to deal with the O2 sensors.

I knew my Zed had been mapped back in 2012, but since then I have changed the plenum spacer and fitted the Berks, so I figured as well as curing the infuriating EML a new map wouldn't do any harm, and might even round up some of the horses that have escaped from under the bonnet over the years.

Having decided to get this sorted, Paul at TDI was able to get me in at quite short notice. Paul and his staff were friendly and helpful, and it's clear from talking to him he knows plenty about mapping, not just the Hondas they see every day, but other marques as well. Despite being a bit nervous about my Zed being tied down and run hard I just about managed to keep it together as Paul did the necessary runs. The remap itself took a few hours and it was not long before I was about seeing how The Shark felt after it's dot release update ;) . The butt dyno revealed a bit more low down torque and I 'm sure the throttle response is a little smoother than it was - not to suggest I wasn't happy with the performance before, but it definitely felt different.

Having got back and checked the actual dyno results (see below), it revealed headline figures of 292 bhp and 264 torques. Which is a bump of about 10 torques and 10-15, pretty much across the board. Paul advised me this is mainly due to it running a bit lean since the Berks have gone on, which he's corrected.

All in all, I'm extremely happy to have removed the intermittent EML, which was the goal for me, but as a side benefit she feels a bit pokier and I'm fairly certain sounds a little different too. I had a very pleasant drive back from Warrington where I got used to the new feel and can happily report an initial, wallet friendly 33 mpg at non-police upsetting motorway cruising speed. Happy customer, I couldn't fault the service from TDI.

023438D6-67BB-41C4-B41E-01DA55FF414A_zpsi9fbgerm.jpg

nice mate! I keep looking at getting mine mapped, but this will be a while off yet due to monies!

Keep up the Zeditus, enjoy following your build :)

Thanks mate, always nice to get some positive comments on your Zed.

I think my Zeditis is in the final stages now, I've got one job in the pipeline. After that I might get the paint seen to (picked up a mark on my lip this weekend, don't know how, it wasn't me) or some sort of freaky wrap, but then it'll just be good old fashioned up keep and a move to garage queen status...

Good numbers SuperStu. B) Hope you're pleased. :D

Don't forget to post it in the dyno info thread including your mods. :thumbs:

Way ahead of you...

The numbers thing is quite funny actually, I got chatting to a couple of friendly lads who'd brought up a Honda from Wales for mapping and the first question one of them asked was 'what numbers are you hoping for?'. I felt a bit embarrassed I didn't know what it was putting out or what was going to come up on the dyno, I just wanted then damn EML to stay off :lol:

I'm not against chasing numbers, far from it, I can see how someone could get into that, sure I'd like to have seen 300. I'm certain if I went looking for it there'd be a dyno somewhere which would give me that number, but it's more about the before and after butt dyno for me than the sheer numbers. I love the lazy power of the Zed to bits, if it had been 250 instead I'd be just as much in love with her. :cloud9:

Way ahead of you...

The numbers thing is quite funny actually, I got chatting to a couple of friendly lads who'd brought up a Honda from Wales for mapping and the first question one of them asked was 'what numbers are you hoping for?'. I felt a bit embarrassed I didn't know what it was putting out or what was going to come up on the dyno, I just wanted then damn EML to stay off :lol:

I'm not against chasing numbers, far from it, I can see how someone could get into that, sure I'd like to have seen 300. I'm certain if I went looking for it there'd be a dyno somewhere which would give me that number, but it's more about the before and after butt dyno for me than the sheer numbers. I love the lazy power of the Zed to bits, if it had been 250 instead I'd be just as much in love with her. :cloud9:

Just read it in the dyno thread. :lol:;)

Is TDi's dyno measured at the hubs do you know? Like Abbey's?

If it is then technically you do see over 300bhp but only at the Flywheel. B):D

Way ahead of you...

Just read it in the dyno thread. :lol:;)

Is TDi's dyno measured at the hubs do you know? Like Abbey's?

If it is then technically you do see over 300bhp but only at the Flywheel. B):D

Dunno! Looking at the dyno thread I think it's at the fly from other posts from members who've been to TDI.

Dunno! Looking at the dyno thread I think it's at the fly from other posts from members who've been to TDI.

Oh ok. Still good result and as you say the fact the drive in your opinion feels better then that's the main thing. B)

Fyi ~ I have 1bhp more than you. :p:stir::lol:

• Like 1

Oh ok. Still good result and as you say the fact the drive in your opinion feels better then that's the main thing. B)

Only cos I took my nismo badge off...

• Like 1

:lol:

Where you trying to save weight? :dry::stir:

:lol:

Where you trying to save weight? :dry::stir:

Nah, it's not a Nismo so it's not earned the badge :shrug:

• Like 1