Am I imagining it??

Katy

I bought my 350 back in June, and whilst it's not the first performance car I've owned it is the most powerful and my first rear wheel drive. Taking that into account, aside from some 'spirited' driving on roads I know like the back of my hand, I've spent the last few weeks learning how she responds, how wide she is (I am female after all!) and how to get the best out of her relatively safely.

But the way other road users treat me has changed remarkably since she moved in! Aside from the usual: never being let out out of a junction, or being shoehorned out the way when two lanes filter into one, suddenly it seems everybody wants to either a) race me or b. drive me off the road!

The filthy looks I get from (mostly male) drivers has blown my mind! They charge up behind me in rush hour, swerving all over the road trying to intimidate the hell out of me - I can only assume because I'm not travelling at twice the speed limit wherever I go. And god forbid I overtake them... that's like a license to literally run me off the road.

Now don't get me wrong, I am just as partial as the next (wo)man to the odd spat of lighthearted road wars and speeding, but just because I COULD annihilate you in your white van, doesn't mean I'm always game...

Part of the reason I chose a 350 was because I thought it was less show-offy than its counterparts (TT, Z4 etc.) so why am I getting such a hard time? Is this normal behaviour? Am I going to have to spend the rest of my ownership fighting for my own survival?!

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

What has car width got to do with 'being a girl' Katy !!??

You'll get used to the male car envy - the ones with wee c*cks can't handle seeing a woman behind the wheel of a decent car - should've seen the looks I used to get being the only female in the pitlane at track days. :lol:

• Like 3

I think a lot of new Z owners experience this to be honest. It would probably be worse in an EVO or Subaru! The fact you are a female could also contribute, a lot of men hate being overtaken (no matter what they drive) and when they see it's a woman doing so this would probably anger them more. I actually noticed the change more when I starting driving my old Merc estate, it's a more relaxed drive, even though I'm going the same speed, no one is up my bum in town, desperate to overtake me or speeding up when I go to overtake them. I found the Z good on the motorway, everyone assumes you want to go fast, so more often than not, they get out of the way. In the old merc when I'm sitting at 85mph on the motorway (in the inside lane) I find a lot of people (presumably not using cruise control) pass me as they assume I must be going slowly because I'm in a crap car and using the inside (correct) lane. Then a mile later I catch them up when they realise how fast they were going. Anyway don't let it bother you too much, as other say it's just jealously and you soon get used to it.

If you get anyone trying to race you, or intimidate you, or fails to let you in/out, when and if the opportunity arises, pull up alongside, wind your window down,

And offer them a Smartie :p

• Like 1

Have you had the Saxo that can stay with you and sit on your bumper............................ in a 30 or 40 limit. :lol:

Haha! Yeah, I find everyone's a racing driver in the town centre... ;)

I get this even when driving my other half's dented, flakey paint, scratched R reg 1.6L corolla!

I think it's just owing to the lack of driving standards on the roads and a lot of egos.

What's worse is those that tailgate you, then you hit a corner, and suddenly they're miles behind, and then on the straight tailgate you again!

Don't rise to it, just let them do their ignorant behaviour, I just let those people pass, and just not worry about it, as long as I keep a safe distance and feel I'm behaving safely I don't really care what others do after they're a decent distance from me.

Some people are just very strange.

What has car width got to do with 'being a girl' Katy !!??

Maybe she likes a bit of girth? :blush:

You're right Vik54, as women we likely have much greater accuracy with regards to small measurements! ;)

• Like 1

Every time I see a good looking woman driving a nice car it's a big turn on so I don't understand why other guys get annoyed? Weird

Who said I'm good looking?

image_zpsdaaa17e4.jpg

Wow, you're a babe :cloud9::huglove:

So that's why they're chasing me? I shouldn't have such low self esteem...

Answers:

Not let out junction - their looking at your car and not thinking to stop

Guys up ur tail on motorway - they want to show you their car is faster

We all get it. Its the same for ferrari owners. People always try and drive behind him and race. He wont get let out of junctions brcause tbey goggle at his car

• Like 1

Have you had the Saxo that can stay with you and sit on your bumper............................ in a 30 or 40 limit. :lol:

Yeah and the Golf GTI that's glued to your bumper in traffic then speeds off past you once the traffic has cleared :wacko:

The Z does seem to attract some strange attention. I encountered someone sitting at 60 in the right hand lane on the dual carriageway the other day when the left was completely empty. I kept my distance whilst following them for quite a while and eventually gave them a polite flash of the headlights to make them aware that I wanted to overtake them and they literally SLAMMED their brakes on! Absolutely mad.

It does feel like everybody is trying to race you all the time though, but I try to ignore it now and just let the idiots pass.

Edited by Jp606

I dont get the junction issue but i do find that if a car pulls up alongside me at some traffic lights with some young guys, or often older guys wanting to be young guys again, then they do seem to want to race me off the lights.

I look and smile and then drive off smoothly and smugly while they floor it away looking like idiots. Their reaction shows they like the car and want to challenge it, its got their attention and peaked their interest. If im honest thats the reason i bought the car, i like to be different and stand out in something a bit special. I could race them, in some cases beat them, in some cases ot, but i don't feel the need to. i leave them to drive like the fool.