what speed do you think the law should allow?

ddcboyle

I think we should be a lot harder on recently passed drivers. Black box, not allowed to drive at night, only allowed in the slow lane, etc.... and then if you commit offences, you go back to this world of the police monitoring your stupidity.

Then if you are safe driver, you should be allowed extra leniency, but tbh i think this happens unofficially already.

that make very little sense

so if you dont drive a dick in the first year and your classed as a good driver your allowed leniency to go and be a dick driver

not being able to drive at night is a bit of a harsh one on the ground a where do you put the limit as at 5pm in winter its night how would people get home or like me i do shift work if i was in that situation id lose a job and be added to the vast amount of unemployed already and doing 100mph in the day isnt different to doing 100mph at night?

And why should only youngsters be given a blackbox to see if there speeding everyone should, as what makes it right for a 50 year old to do 120mph on the motorway over a 18 year old either its illegal?

Best way is cars and drivers should be given ranked license. So e.g. a 1.6 vectra is a 1 and a lambo is 10. A lambo can accelerate but also brake faster than the vectra. So you can have a higher average speed. BUT you need to get a 10 license which would be hard and teach you a fair bit.

Nicked the idea from the early gran turismos.

Best way is cars and drivers should be given ranked license. So e.g. a 1.6 vectra is a 1 and a lambo is 10. A lambo can accelerate but also brake faster than the vectra. So you can have a higher average speed. BUT you need to get a 10 license which would be hard and teach you a fair bit.

Yeah to get a grade 10 car you need to do a certain liscence. Since justin bieber had a lambo before he even drove. Same with fines, people saying 1k fine... if your driving a lambo whats 1k gna do. Thats 30pound to us poor people.

I think in summary, theres various things that could be done to cause less traffic and faster safer driving. But involves more police, better police equipment, better road usage and more tests etc. It can work, easily, but highly doubt the government would invest in itm they would rather give 900million to pakistan to spend on ak47's and bbuythemselfs a 3rd house.

Ideally, the 1 to 10 system sounds good. Almost like a bike liscence. Cbt etc to get over 125. Only issue there is u get a 350z and stick twin turbo. Whos gonna know?

Yeah to get a grade 10 car you need to do a certain liscence. Since justin bieber had a lambo before he even drove. Same with fines, people saying 1k fine... if your driving a lambo whats 1k gna do. Thats 30pound to us poor people.

I think in summary, theres various things that could be done to cause less traffic and faster safer driving. But involves more police, better police equipment, better road usage and more tests etc. It can work, easily, but highly doubt the government would invest in itm they would rather give 900million to pakistan to spend on ak47's and bbuythemselfs a 3rd house.

Ideally, the 1 to 10 system sounds good. Almost like a bike liscence. Cbt etc to get over 125. Only issue there is u get a 350z and stick twin turbo. Whos gonna know?

Power upgrades would be fine with insurers as long as tyre width and brakes where upgraded.

Actually, that's a really good idea. Stops Billy Money Bags turning 17 and getting his rich daddy to buy him an Enzo that he then bins.

No idea how you'd fairly rank the cars, and you'd have to allow for progression of technology (i.e. even a boggo 1.8 diesel focus is massively quicker than anything I owned as a youngster), but I like that idea a lot. It won't solve all the problems, but it's a good start.

The speed limit is fine, no one follows it any ways, put the limit up and people will go faster. Regardless of why people crash faster speeds means bigger accidents and more death which no political party is going to like.

Road traffic accidents is one of the biggest killers of young/mid aged people in the UK, black boxes in cars will certainly reduce death but cannot see any politician trying to introduce it driven how in popular that will be.

On motorways, maybe. However I'd prefer the inside lane being reserved for those who've taken advanced driving lessons allowing them to go up to 100mph. If you aren't qualified and go into it, £1000 fine.

Why would the inside lane be designated for advanced drivers? Surley it would be the outside lane?

The lane next to the central reservation.

On motorways, maybe. However I'd prefer the inside lane being reserved for those who've taken advanced driving lessons allowing them to go up to 100mph. If you aren't qualified and go into it, £1000 fine.

Thats a goos idea, but would need to have more police on roads instead of cameras. If 2 cars are doing 50mph in inside and middle lane, gns have to overtake.

Personally, I think there should be a personal numberplate for individual drivers in the uk. One a cop car can scan. So when you drive somewhere the police know who is meant to be driving that car and experience. Not a big plate, just like one for those who pass advanced driving courses.

1000 might be excessive though :lol: but yeah a nice big 500 should do the trick.

Police just need proper computers in their cars so they can mark down notes on registrations so other police can view. I.e. "pulled for doing 40 in 30, warning given, 1st july 2013"

Keep it at 1000. People would never go in it then.

I have to say I used to travel a lot on the motorway with cruise set at around 70mph (all about the MPGZ back then). And I wasn't overtaken that often - so whilst some people do drive over 70mph it's not everywhere. You will always get the few that goes over the limit - heck I do sometimes (especially if over taking on an A-road to minimise time exposed to danger (TED)), however those few do make the rule.

I'm not keen on black boxes, but perhaps a compulsory advanced driving course before you can go on the motorway? Or have some sort of restriction (like motorbikes) until you pass your full test?

The problem is a lot of people are just not confident enough drivers, and cause just as many problems as those who are overly confident and think they are driving gods. People are also impatient (we've all suffered that in the past I'm sure). However you have to remember that not everyone realises what they're doing wrong.

Education is clearly the best way to go, but unfairly punishing or restricting those that are happy to stick to the rules and drive carefully makes it unfair.

Unfortunately you'll never get 1 rule which fits all. Perhaps if a young driver (or new driver) gets caught being reckless they should have a black box fitted as a result? So instead of points in your 1st year or whatever, you have to be restricted for 12 months or something by use of a black box - which after a year, a LOT of people will change their behaviour, after being forced to behave you'll build a sort of muscle memory for it?

Also another system that would potentially work, is for new drivers having to clock up a certain amount of "hours" like pilots, before being able to go on motorways or over a speed limit or being able to drive a bigger car?

It's a tough problem to solve.

Why would the inside lane be designated for advanced drivers? Surley it would be the outside lane?

That's the outside lane! :p

Edited by wmr1980

Our congested roads and driving safely will often dictate speeds will more often than not mean we have to travel at less than speed limits allow.

But when road/traffic conditions allow we all despair at what are all too often unduly restrictive speed limits inherited from bygone years that reflected cars limitations then.

Even the Highway Code contains advice a good many drivers on the road appear to be unaware of, including when overtaking on the left is allowed and advised, in particular Sections 168-169:

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169

It is also a shame that the principle of slower cars pulling over for faster cars used on some of Scotlands rural roads is not extended across our Isles:

http://web.undiscoveredscotland.com/usfeatures/singletrack/

Look at the pic of the police notice and the general advice that would make our progress far more rewarding if more drivers were considerate of others behind them as its says in that link:

"Finally, don't let your concentration on what's coming the other way stop you keeping a close watch on your mirror. If someone comes up behind you, they're obviously travelling the road faster than you are. You should use a passing place to pull over and let them through. This is more than simple courtesy: the road signs above right emphasise the point. And anyway, it is much more comfortable travelling these roads without that same white van sitting on your rear bumper."

But all too sadly there do too many drivers of all ages who seem to lack common since and quite how you deal with them God only knows..........

• Like 1

Oh I dunno. I call it the fast lane. Slow lane, over taking lane and then fast lane. Never got that inside/outside stuff. My logic obviously conflicts with how it actually is. I'd have expected it to be the other way around. :shrug:

this actual makes great sense

as the do with motorbikes now

A1: upto 125cc with no more than 11kw

A2: unthing upto 46bhp

A: unrestricted

Oh I dunno. I call it the fast lane. Slow lane, over taking lane and then fast lane. Never got that inside/outside stuff. My logic obviously conflicts with how it actually is. I'd have expected it to be the other way around. :shrug:

Hehe, I was just being pedantic, don't worry :p

Though technically they're all the same speed, so there is no "fast" land, but again that's me just being a picky so and so. However your point about passing an advanced test before being allowed to use designated lanes is a good one. I just wonder how it would work for enforcing it.

Our congested roads and driving safely will often dictate speeds will more often than not mean we have to travel at less than speed limits allow.

But when road/traffic conditions allow we all despair at what are all too often unduly restrictive speed limits inherited from bygone years that reflected cars limitations then.

Even the Highway Code contains advice a good many drivers on the road appear to be unaware of, including when overtaking on the left is allowed and advised, in particular Sections 168-169:

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169

It is also a shame that the principle of slower cars pulling over for faster cars used on some of Scotlands rural roads is not extended across our Isles:

http://web.undiscoveredscotland.com/usfeatures/singletrack/

Look at the pic of the police notice and the general advice that would make our progress far more rewarding if more drivers were considerate of others behind them as its says in that link:

"Finally, don't let your concentration on what's coming the other way stop you keeping a close watch on your mirror. If someone comes up behind you, they're obviously travelling the road faster than you are. You should use a passing place to pull over and let them through. This is more than simple courtesy: the road signs above right emphasise the point. And anyway, it is much more comfortable travelling these roads without that same white van sitting on your rear bumper."

But all too sadly there do too many drivers of all ages who seem to lack common since and quite how you deal with them God only knows..........

It may be in the highly code but, hell, I domt even know some of the signs I see, most people dont properly read the highway code and ill admit im one of them.

I think alot of it is down to experience. When I have a car behind me, aslong as its not a range rover right up my ass, ill pull to the side, the same as for motorbikes.

Driving tests and theory only teach you how to drive a car, not be a proficient driver I.m.o. everyone on the road can drive, even billy with no liscence. But then you get people like my mum who are scared of motorways and do 50 in the fast lane. After your initial test, there should be lessons on how to drive on motorways. Theres courses out there but their not compulsory, they should be.

In regards to a black box, everyone seems to think its bad idea apart from a few. I dont see whats bad about it? First 6monthsyou get a black box, its not to stop you speeding, its to make you learn the roads and become ezperienced before you do start to speed

I guess so, I think though some of the rules of the black boxes can be prohibitive and excessively restrictive on young drivers, such as no driving at night etc... I still prefer the use of a black box as a form of 'punishment' for indescretions committed rather than points initially.

No such thing as inside lane, outside lane, slow or middle or fast lanes.

It's Lane 1 for the lane furthest from the opposite carriageway, and then Lane 2 for the one next to that, and so on and so forth.

Wrong... its lorry lane, granny lane and rebel lane :D

No such thing as inside lane, outside lane, slow or middle or fast lanes.

It's Lane 1 for the lane furthest from the opposite carriageway, and then Lane 2 for the one next to that, and so on and so forth.

Wrong... its lorry lane, granny lane and rebel lane :D

Almost... The outside lane is the BMW / Audi lane :p

• Like 1

Lane 1 = lorries / grannies / occasional proper driver tucking in

Lane 2 = overtaking lorries / middle lane hoggers / occasional person moving out of the way of a 100+ speeder

Lane 3 = occasional lorry making a 3 way road block / middle lane hoggers overtaking other middle lane hoggers / ALL AUDI/BMWs/motorbikes

For the M25 shuffle that as you can get anyone in any lane

Lane 1 = lorries / grannies / occasional proper driver tucking in

Lane 2 = overtaking lorries / middle lane hoggers / occasional person moving out of the way of a 100+ speeder

Lane 3 = occasional lorry making a 3 way road block / middle lane hoggers overtaking other middle lane hoggers / ALL AUDI/BMWs/motorbikes

For the M25 shuffle that as you can get anyone in any lane

+1 :lol:

And because of drivers like you mate, the motorway speed limit should stay at 70 mph, lol. Seriously if you don't know what lane is what, maybe you should go for a few refresher driving lessons!!

It is easy to see why they just leave them as they are...it falls into the "too difficult" box. On balance, even if I could do anything I wanted, I think I would leave them as they are, given the level of traffic and competence on display.

It's only when you return from the Toll Roads in Spain, as I just have, that you realise how claustrophobic our roads are.

People say the speed limit was set at 70 back when car tyres/brakes were terrible, and they were - but the motorways were also significantly emptier as the traffic was significantly less - something people seem to never think about.

It's quite strange looking at the road death figures back then, around 8,000 a year despite as you say significantly less traffic. Of course there was no M.O.T back then so lots of death traps on the road, there was no minimum tyre tread depth, no seat belts or air bags, no crash helmets for motorcyclists. On the other hand though a fast car back then only did 90-95 and not that many would pull much more than 80 in the early 60's :shrug: . If you had a car that'd do the ton then you were quite somebody :lol: ..

The thing is that the government and previous governments don't want the bad press that'll come with any increase in road casualties, the road safety lobby will say "told you so", so as I read it don't hold your breath waiting for any changes.

Pete

Very true, safety features have improved dramatically. I would point out that Road Deaths != Motorway deaths. Road Deaths in the UK today stand at nearly 1,800 per year - which given the huge numbers of vehicles compared to those of years gone by is quite good (meaning low and relatively safe!).

The things that won't change are reaction times - almost guaranteed to be constant throughout history - and judgement/decision making (with bad causing an accident).

It would be really interesting to take 1000 randomly chosen people and be able to find out (preferably without them knowing) where their focus is upon the road. I would not be surprised to find most look only 50ft infront of them and are oblivious beyond that range. At least, that's how it seems given how people drive on the motorway/react/make decisions :D

As for why they leave the limits as they are - I think it's even easier. The political fall out from potential increased road deaths would call into question the judgement in raising the limits... I think it was a "study" which decided how many more deaths would occur, and they came up with a quite large figure *shrugs*.

p.s. I love the M6 for oddities. You get gaps of up to a mile of completely empty "slow" lane all to yourself, whilst the middle lane is heavily congested and travelling at 60mph (and the outside lane no better). Baffles me every time...

Edited by Mike