New member looking at getting my first zed

Jeff147

Afternoon all,

Looking at purchasing my first zed, and looking for a little advice. I really want a 2006/2007 GT - I have a budget of around £8-9,000. Do you think this is achievable to get something reasonable?

How much would you put away for general maintenance?

How much does a year’s tax cost?

I have read a lot on the fuel consumption, I will be using the car as my main mode of transport and probably do no more than 5 miles Mon - Friday each day and 200miles every other weekend. 190 of the 200miles is strait up the M1. Will most of this be running at 24MPG or less?

Really keen on getting one really soon, in the next couple of weeks as my current motor has pretty much died on its wheels. Anyone seen any zeds worth checking out online?

Cheers guys

i paid just over £7k for an 05 GT with 49k on the clocks in fantastic condition all round. Was also in black too which seem to cost a little more. £9k is more than enough, do bear in mind that the tax goes up to £425 a year from 06 onwards from £275. Fuel wise im sitting at 21mpg, but i have a heavy right foot and once the car is warmed up it doesnt see many shifts until i get to 5kRPM. motorways usually get me 30+ doing 80ish in 6th gear.

i'll assume thats me (name is above title)

ive had it since march and its never missed a beat since. AFAIK the GT pack didnt change over the whole production range so it has cruise control, bose stereo and heated leather seats and brembo brakes. Only thing it doesnt have is the inbuilt sat nav which was a £1k option form nissan so nobody bought it.

Sorry mate,

Ha I should look a little closer!!

Nice, I am starting to swing towards an earlier model than the '06 now for tax reductions. What's the reliability like in general for these motors? What in people's opinions is an avarge yearly spend? Taking insurance tax and fuel out of the equation.

Did the earlier models still have the option for sat nav? I'm asking as I am guessing if so I may still find one in my quest to find a clean example.

i think satnav was an option on 04+. it was damn expensive and doesn't have a postcode feature either. and will likely be horribly out of date so i wouldn't bother too much. Reliability wise ive spent nothing on mine since ive had it. Its been serviced//ect and will need some more brake disks + pads soon but other than consumables its been solid as a rock.

i actually found mine on auto trader at a VW dealer. I'd spent around 3 months looking for a GT in black with sub 50k miles and it was listed one saturday morning with no pictures and i'd paid the deposit by that afternoon. I never checked the classifieds on here as im only 23 so i cant get temp insurance on a 350z and my parents are pretty car phobic so they wouldnt really be able to properly test drive on for me.

I'm searching Gumtree, Autotrader, eBay & pistonheads at the min, does anyone know of any other websites to keep an eye on?

Yeah - THIS ONE! :lol: (There's a Zeds for sale section).

:welcome: BTW

Welcome to the forums.. I'm in a smilar position to you in terms of looking for my zed. It's a buyers market so wait until you find the perfect one, don't rush into it.

As with all performance cars it's good to budget a certain percentage of the value of the car for maintenance costs. I generally keep around 10-12% of the value of the car in a maintenance pot just in case, and anything above that can be used to tweak, or do whatever you want with it.

Some parts are expensive, and if you're anything like me, you'll probably want to tweak your car and add a little bit of a personal touch!

As for mpg, you don't buy a zed for the economy! ;)

Good luck with finding your car!

Cheers guys,

Yeah it really does seem to be a buyers market at the minute, I am keeping my eyes peeled!! My current cars (I'm not going to embrace myself by declaring my current ride) gearbox has failed, well a bearing seems to have gone it drives but makes so right noise, so currently got no transport to go view until next weekend when I will be renting a car to go have a look at a couple.

As for the built in satnav, if it has one, the disc can be updated. But only the map system. The basics remain the same - NO postcode input. It's OK but the system was introduced many moons ago and is long out of date.

.... My car has one........ 2012/13 disc....... The details are the same as my wife's new Range Rover..... A petrol station in my neighbours garden.....

Discs cost about £30 on line. (X7)

Ok, I have now put a deposit down on my first zed, she's seems to me to be a great machine!! Cheers Dalos. Can't wait for another long old trip up north to go pick her up. I'm sure I will have another 1500 questions as a new owner :)